“Loved this little B&B”
Review of Bath Street Inn

Bath Street Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 January 2007

This B&B was wonderful! Breakfast was great. I have a nut allergy and the owner personally made my french toast. She also had several ideas for bars where my boyfriend could watch the game. Also, located close to State Street although walking there might be a bit of a trek if you're not in shape. The room was a little small but comfy. Would definitely go back again!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 January 2007

Let me begin by stating that my wife and I had already been to Cayucos CA for two-nights and Carmel for two-nights before visiting the Bath Street Inn on Dec 31 2006. We knew going in that this Inn is a historical home-type B&B, which we'd stayed at Secret Garden Inn in Santa Barbara a few years ago and generally had a similar experience here at BSI... not great, not bad, an okay value for Santa Barbara. Hence, we've stayed at several types of mid-level priced ($150-$250) accomodations over the past five years, but Bath Street Inn was only our second "old historical B&B" inn.

The Pros of BSI is that the Inn is very cute, seems well-kept, has a very nice staff, and is in a rather good location for only a moderate walk to State Street. The other guests we met there were VERY nice as well (always a plus that an Inn can draw friendly, interesting people). The breakfast was nicely prepared, with fruit bowl, granola and peach french/cinammon toast. Lots of goodies during the day and evening (including champagne for New Years... very nice!).

However, there are some cons... firstly, my wife and I really enjoy two-person tubs, so we specifically wanted the Wisteria room because of the two-person jacuzzi. That part of it was very nice, but the room is very small (I knew going into it that it was after reading other Tripadvisor reviews). While there really wasn't any room for our luggage (other than on both of the pretty dated chairs), that was okay. What wasn't okay was that the room smelled strangely and strongly perfumey when we first arrived and it just didn't set well with us. There's a certain amount of mustiness or perfumey smells that must be expected with an old inn, I guess... but it was too strong when we first got there. Finally, the room was just a little too dated.. the chairs were already mentioned, the bedspread seemed of old flowery print, and worst of all, the wallpaper was a weird printless type with EVERY seam showing... we really didn't understand why the walls don't have a fresh and bright coat of paint instead. While the tub had some dated pink tiles, it was clean and we kind of liked it. Other than for those issues, we'd probably come back. Sadly to say, we likely won't. Some of the reason is that we had stayed at a newer B&B in Cayucos CA for about the same price, got an ocean view and 1100 sq ft (at LEAST five times bigger than The Wisteria room); and I think this spoiled us pretty badly. Fact is, it appears we're finding that we're the type of traveler that like (need?) a newer, spacious-type B&B. And understanding that Santa Barbara has a multitude of quaint and cute old inns, but at a premium price compared to a beach town such as Cayucos, maybe we not only won't come back to Bath Street Inn, but maybe not Santa Barbara moreover. I'm sure a newer place such as Inn of The Spanish Garden or San Ysidro Ranch would fit the bill, they cost two and four times as much as Bath Street Inn, which is WAY out of our price range. So please allow me to attempt to put this from an advice viewpoint: If you really like old inns with great service and know up front that you have to expect small accomodations and unfortunately, sometimes strange smells to get a decent value in Santa Barbara, then Bath Street Inn is right for you.

Dining: Had appetizers/cocktails out on State St at Neo Chase Bar and Grill (fantastic!) and New Years Eve dinner at Louie's at the Upham Hotel (casually elegant and tasty!).

Stayed: December 2006
6  Thank bonesting69
BathStreetInn, Owner at Bath Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2007

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the inn. We're sorry about the odor in the Wisteria room; it actually wasn't "old house" odor at all but new carpeting! We had just installed it the previous week and through a comedy of errors the odor free padding we had requested went to Orange County. The sweet smell was the final treatment to neutralize the gasses from the pad. The carpet is actually phase one of a planned renovation of the Wisteria room. When we finish the Tiffany bathroom project, ( new carpeting and flooring and claw foot bathtub) we promise to give loving attention to the Wisteria room.

Reviewed 31 October 2006

The inn itself is great--good food, nice staff, good location--but I would recommend booking a room aside from the Jacaranda if possible. The bathroom felt a bit like a locker room with no separate shower or bath, just a curtain that you dropped down and a drain in the floor. We found the price a bit high for those type of accomodations. But I'd still recommend the inn--just go for a different room.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SwiftTraveler
Reviewed 24 October 2006

What a wonderful stay we had! The spacious Country Suite was more than enough room for my husband and myself and included a full kitchen (much to our surprise - I guess I missed that in the description). Funny thing is that you really don't need a kitchen when you stay at this inn (though we did use the refrigerator) because the innkeepers go above and beyond with the food that they serve. The day started with a 3 course gourmet breakfast that included juice and coffee/tea. "Tea" is asserved mid afternoon where you have a choice of cakes and cookies as well as drinks. Late afternoon they serve wine, crackers and cheese. These wonderful food delights far exceed expectations I would have for any B&B. And I indulged!

The saving grace for all the food I ate were the brisk walks my husband and I took into downtown throughout the weekend. We enjoyed getting around on foot - what an opportunity to leave the car behind and enjoy the fresh SB air. We took advantage of the State St trolley that takes you to within a few blocks of the inn as well.

• Stayed: October 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 October 2006

Well all I can say is Veteran B&Brs might not recognise the level and quality of service supplied by the innkeepers at the Bath street inn.

Firstly our room Susans loft with its own Balcony, Jacuzzi, Fireplace and Bathroom was perfect for our two night stay it had all the home comforts I would expect and a few more.

Afternoon Tea at 4pm all home made was scrumptious followed by wine and cheese at 5pm then more wine and cakes. Then they help get you dinner resevations on a Saturday night in Santa Barbra they know people. When you come home for Dinner there is more cake abd Decafe coffee which is left our all night.

After spending most of my career in 5 * small hotels the Breakfast is the best I have ever had and the most I have ever eaten before 11am.

The standard of Service, quality of food and accomodation this is one of the best places I have stayed in the world because its done with love.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Lyn911
Reviewed 16 September 2006

We were very disappointed when we checked into this B&B. The inn is quaint but a little scruffy. The rooms are very small. We are veteran B&B people and I was taken aback at how small and plain the rooms were.

The innkeeper, Kate, was great though!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kellismom
Reviewed 5 September 2006

We recently stayed at the Bath Street Inn with our daughter. We loved the Inn -- it was beautiful and we had a charming and spacious room on third floor. The inn keepers kindly set up a small bed for our daughter. Our family especially enjoyed the video library and TV lounge on the third floor.
We loved the breakfast, a very tasty french toast with strawberries. At tea, the apple cake that Kate baked was so good I asked for the recipe. Our daughter particularly loved all the differerent varieties of hot cocoa.
The relaxed but gracious atmosphere and helpful inn keeper, Kate made our stay a very nice one. I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family