“home away from home”
Review of Bath Street Inn

Bath Street Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2007

My wife and I recently went on our honeymoon. Of course the first place we thought of was the Bath Street Inn, in Santa Barbara. This was not our first visit, and will certainly not be our last. The "B&B" style of accomodation, is not to be missed when you travel, and the Bath Street Inn, is without doubt the cream. Marie and Deborah are two of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. When we called and made our reservations, they were not only accomodating, but remembered us after two years since our last visit ! We arrived to find that Marie had waited to see us, long after she would have normally gone home ! And to top that, had changed her breakfast menu to my favorite meal-Eggs Florentine, and had remembered my allergy to walnuts and made special muffins for me. People, not the place, make a good "B&B", especially when the entire staff treats you like family. We stayed in the Garden Room, which they had recently renovated. It has a jacuzzi tub in the corner of the living room area and like all the other rooms, was enchanting. We were there before other guests checked in and were able to look at the open rooms. For longer stays, they have a "Country Suite" which has a full kitchen so you can create your own dinners in your room. This is a must visit if you are going to be in the Santa Barbara area or Solvang - 30 min away.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 6 April 2007

My Husband took me to Bath Street Inn for our 20th wedding anniversary. We were greeted at the door by our hostess and given a tour of the house. Everything was neat and in place with relaxing music playing in the background. It reminded me so much of my Grandmother's house that I almost felt like we were staying with her. We had a beautiful tea time with cake, cookies, tea, and lemonade. The same was provided after seven with additional pie and coffee. Our hostess made everthing very pleasant and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 21 March 2007

Santa Barbara's Bath Street Inn was beyond a shadow of a doubt the best accomodation experience I have ever had! I have stayed is all the high end hotels in every major Cdn city and none can compare to the service and special care I received at the Bath Street Inn. From special dietary needs to local directions and advice...the staff at the Inn were the most friendly and pleasurable I have ever experienced! Thank you Bath Street Inn for a quiet and beautiful stay at your B & B...I WILL be back!!

Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed 17 March 2007

First time B&B. Wonderful surpise. Clean, quaint, friendly staff, great service, wonderful fresh food, delicious coffee served inside or out on patio. Kind, sincere & caring staff who went to lengths to assist and catered to our needs. Knowledgable of area for directions & places to go. Central, easy access to all. Parking on site. Nice grounds, veranda to enjoy evening tea, or sit inside by the fire and read. Always goodies in the dining room. Highly recommend, and hopefully will return soon.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2007

This B&B was wonderful! Breakfast was great. I have a nut allergy and the owner personally made my french toast. She also had several ideas for bars where my boyfriend could watch the game. Also, located close to State Street although walking there might be a bit of a trek if you're not in shape. The room was a little small but comfy. Would definitely go back again!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2007

Let me begin by stating that my wife and I had already been to Cayucos CA for two-nights and Carmel for two-nights before visiting the Bath Street Inn on Dec 31 2006. We knew going in that this Inn is a historical home-type B&B, which we'd stayed at Secret Garden Inn in Santa Barbara a few years ago and generally had a similar experience here at BSI... not great, not bad, an okay value for Santa Barbara. Hence, we've stayed at several types of mid-level priced ($150-$250) accomodations over the past five years, but Bath Street Inn was only our second "old historical B&B" inn.

The Pros of BSI is that the Inn is very cute, seems well-kept, has a very nice staff, and is in a rather good location for only a moderate walk to State Street. The other guests we met there were VERY nice as well (always a plus that an Inn can draw friendly, interesting people). The breakfast was nicely prepared, with fruit bowl, granola and peach french/cinammon toast. Lots of goodies during the day and evening (including champagne for New Years... very nice!).

However, there are some cons... firstly, my wife and I really enjoy two-person tubs, so we specifically wanted the Wisteria room because of the two-person jacuzzi. That part of it was very nice, but the room is very small (I knew going into it that it was after reading other Tripadvisor reviews). While there really wasn't any room for our luggage (other than on both of the pretty dated chairs), that was okay. What wasn't okay was that the room smelled strangely and strongly perfumey when we first arrived and it just didn't set well with us. There's a certain amount of mustiness or perfumey smells that must be expected with an old inn, I guess... but it was too strong when we first got there. Finally, the room was just a little too dated.. the chairs were already mentioned, the bedspread seemed of old flowery print, and worst of all, the wallpaper was a weird printless type with EVERY seam showing... we really didn't understand why the walls don't have a fresh and bright coat of paint instead. While the tub had some dated pink tiles, it was clean and we kind of liked it. Other than for those issues, we'd probably come back. Sadly to say, we likely won't. Some of the reason is that we had stayed at a newer B&B in Cayucos CA for about the same price, got an ocean view and 1100 sq ft (at LEAST five times bigger than The Wisteria room); and I think this spoiled us pretty badly. Fact is, it appears we're finding that we're the type of traveler that like (need?) a newer, spacious-type B&B. And understanding that Santa Barbara has a multitude of quaint and cute old inns, but at a premium price compared to a beach town such as Cayucos, maybe we not only won't come back to Bath Street Inn, but maybe not Santa Barbara moreover. I'm sure a newer place such as Inn of The Spanish Garden or San Ysidro Ranch would fit the bill, they cost two and four times as much as Bath Street Inn, which is WAY out of our price range. So please allow me to attempt to put this from an advice viewpoint: If you really like old inns with great service and know up front that you have to expect small accomodations and unfortunately, sometimes strange smells to get a decent value in Santa Barbara, then Bath Street Inn is right for you.

Dining: Had appetizers/cocktails out on State St at Neo Chase Bar and Grill (fantastic!) and New Years Eve dinner at Louie's at the Upham Hotel (casually elegant and tasty!).

Stayed: December 2006
6  Thank bonesting69
BathStreetInn, Owner at Bath Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2007

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the inn. We're sorry about the odor in the Wisteria room; it actually wasn't "old house" odor at all but new carpeting! We had just installed it the previous week and through a comedy of errors the odor free padding we had requested went to Orange County. The sweet smell was the final treatment to neutralize the gasses from the pad. The carpet is actually phase one of a planned renovation of the Wisteria room. When we finish the Tiffany bathroom project, ( new carpeting and flooring and claw foot bathtub) we promise to give loving attention to the Wisteria room.

Reviewed 31 October 2006

The inn itself is great--good food, nice staff, good location--but I would recommend booking a room aside from the Jacaranda if possible. The bathroom felt a bit like a locker room with no separate shower or bath, just a curtain that you dropped down and a drain in the floor. We found the price a bit high for those type of accomodations. But I'd still recommend the inn--just go for a different room.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple