“Like your second home with a waitstaff!”
Review of Bath Street Inn

Bath Street Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Like your second home with a waitstaff!”
Reviewed 16 May 2007

I chose Bath Street Inn (BSI) for a college reunion after a house rental in Santa Barbara fell through. Our group spent a full week at BSI and from the beginning we were asking ourselves "What were we thinking of when we thought we wanted to be in a rental house?"

This place is like your second home with a waitstaff. Every one of the seven days we were there, we were served a different, always delicious, homemade breakfast entree (think stuffed French toast or baked eggs Florentine, for example) along with fresh fruit, coffee or tea, juice, granola and yogurt. Did I forget to mention the poached pears on our first day? It seems there was always someone in the kitchen, all day, every day, getting ready for the next food event.

Afternoon tea at 4:00 pm also included lemonade, iced tea, homemade cookies and cakes. Almost before we were finished with tea, out came wine, cheese and crackers at 5:30. We found ourselves scheduling our activities around the serving schedule at BSI.

Even better than the food (and that is saying a lot) was the care and concern given to all of us that really made us feel at home. One day our group made an all-day excursion to Hearst Castle, almost three hours one way by car. Upon learning that our schedule might cause breakfast to be rushed, the staff planned to arrive early to make sure we had plenty of time to enjoy breakfast and depart on time.

If you ask for a dinner recommendation (and they were all terrific), you should be prepared to have the staff make the reservation for you on the spot. They have copies of menus from dozens of local restaurants, so you'll know before you get there exactly what to expect. And you can skip dessert and coffee at the restaurant: homemade cookies, cake, coffee and tea are awaiting your return no matter what the hour.

I wish I knew how the owners of BSI find the top quality staff they have. It was almost as if all of them were owners themselves. Once when several guests were engaged in a lively discussion in the dining room, I saw Suzanne motion Chelsea to watch and appreciate the cordial atmosphere that they were creating. During the week we enjoyed the company of several interesting guests who had stayed at BSI before.
And Marie, one of the owners of BSI, is a charming, interesting and well-traveled hostess who has the knack of being both attentive and helpful while not being at all intrusive.

Each of the dozen rooms is different; be sure to ask about their features if you have strong preferences. This is a charming Victorian, 100-year old home that offers the kind of hospitality and service that seems to be fading in our society. Five stars all the way!

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank BelloSouth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Duarte, CA
Reviewed 10 April 2007

My wife and I recently went on our honeymoon. Of course the first place we thought of was the Bath Street Inn, in Santa Barbara. This was not our first visit, and will certainly not be our last. The "B&B" style of accomodation, is not to be missed when you travel, and the Bath Street Inn, is without doubt the cream. Marie and Deborah are two of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. When we called and made our reservations, they were not only accomodating, but remembered us after two years since our last visit ! We arrived to find that Marie had waited to see us, long after she would have normally gone home ! And to top that, had changed her breakfast menu to my favorite meal-Eggs Florentine, and had remembered my allergy to walnuts and made special muffins for me. People, not the place, make a good "B&B", especially when the entire staff treats you like family. We stayed in the Garden Room, which they had recently renovated. It has a jacuzzi tub in the corner of the living room area and like all the other rooms, was enchanting. We were there before other guests checked in and were able to look at the open rooms. For longer stays, they have a "Country Suite" which has a full kitchen so you can create your own dinners in your room. This is a must visit if you are going to be in the Santa Barbara area or Solvang - 30 min away.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fresno, California
Reviewed 6 April 2007

My Husband took me to Bath Street Inn for our 20th wedding anniversary. We were greeted at the door by our hostess and given a tour of the house. Everything was neat and in place with relaxing music playing in the background. It reminded me so much of my Grandmother's house that I almost felt like we were staying with her. We had a beautiful tea time with cake, cookies, tea, and lemonade. The same was provided after seven with additional pie and coffee. Our hostess made everthing very pleasant and I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Quiet and comfortable..
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2007

Santa Barbara's Bath Street Inn was beyond a shadow of a doubt the best accomodation experience I have ever had! I have stayed is all the high end hotels in every major Cdn city and none can compare to the service and special care I received at the Bath Street Inn. From special dietary needs to local directions and advice...the staff at the Inn were the most friendly and pleasurable I have ever experienced! Thank you Bath Street Inn for a quiet and beautiful stay at your B & B...I WILL be back!!

Stayed March 2007
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2007

First time B&B. Wonderful surpise. Clean, quaint, friendly staff, great service, wonderful fresh food, delicious coffee served inside or out on patio. Kind, sincere & caring staff who went to lengths to assist and catered to our needs. Knowledgable of area for directions & places to go. Central, easy access to all. Parking on site. Nice grounds, veranda to enjoy evening tea, or sit inside by the fire and read. Always goodies in the dining room. Highly recommend, and hopefully will return soon.

• Liked — location, food, staff, service,
  • Disliked — pillows,
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
Pasadena
Reviewed 30 January 2007

This B&B was wonderful! Breakfast was great. I have a nut allergy and the owner personally made my french toast. She also had several ideas for bars where my boyfriend could watch the game. Also, located close to State Street although walking there might be a bit of a trek if you're not in shape. The room was a little small but comfy. Would definitely go back again!

• Liked — The wonderful breakfast and evening snacks
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
South OC, CA, USA
Reviewed 2 January 2007

Let me begin by stating that my wife and I had already been to Cayucos CA for two-nights and Carmel for two-nights before visiting the Bath Street Inn on Dec 31 2006. We knew going in that this Inn is a historical home-type B&B, which we'd stayed at Secret Garden Inn in Santa Barbara a few years ago and generally had a similar experience here at BSI... not great, not bad, an okay value for Santa Barbara. Hence, we've stayed at several types of mid-level priced ($150-$250) accomodations over the past five years, but Bath Street Inn was only our second "old historical B&B" inn.

The Pros of BSI is that the Inn is very cute, seems well-kept, has a very nice staff, and is in a rather good location for only a moderate walk to State Street. The other guests we met there were VERY nice as well (always a plus that an Inn can draw friendly, interesting people). The breakfast was nicely prepared, with fruit bowl, granola and peach french/cinammon toast. Lots of goodies during the day and evening (including champagne for New Years... very nice!).

However, there are some cons... firstly, my wife and I really enjoy two-person tubs, so we specifically wanted the Wisteria room because of the two-person jacuzzi. That part of it was very nice, but the room is very small (I knew going into it that it was after reading other Tripadvisor reviews). While there really wasn't any room for our luggage (other than on both of the pretty dated chairs), that was okay. What wasn't okay was that the room smelled strangely and strongly perfumey when we first arrived and it just didn't set well with us. There's a certain amount of mustiness or perfumey smells that must be expected with an old inn, I guess... but it was too strong when we first got there. Finally, the room was just a little too dated.. the chairs were already mentioned, the bedspread seemed of old flowery print, and worst of all, the wallpaper was a weird printless type with EVERY seam showing... we really didn't understand why the walls don't have a fresh and bright coat of paint instead. While the tub had some dated pink tiles, it was clean and we kind of liked it. Other than for those issues, we'd probably come back. Sadly to say, we likely won't. Some of the reason is that we had stayed at a newer B&B in Cayucos CA for about the same price, got an ocean view and 1100 sq ft (at LEAST five times bigger than The Wisteria room); and I think this spoiled us pretty badly. Fact is, it appears we're finding that we're the type of traveler that like (need?) a newer, spacious-type B&B. And understanding that Santa Barbara has a multitude of quaint and cute old inns, but at a premium price compared to a beach town such as Cayucos, maybe we not only won't come back to Bath Street Inn, but maybe not Santa Barbara moreover. I'm sure a newer place such as Inn of The Spanish Garden or San Ysidro Ranch would fit the bill, they cost two and four times as much as Bath Street Inn, which is WAY out of our price range. So please allow me to attempt to put this from an advice viewpoint: If you really like old inns with great service and know up front that you have to expect small accomodations and unfortunately, sometimes strange smells to get a decent value in Santa Barbara, then Bath Street Inn is right for you.

Dining: Had appetizers/cocktails out on State St at Neo Chase Bar and Grill (fantastic!) and New Years Eve dinner at Louie's at the Upham Hotel (casually elegant and tasty!).

Stayed December 2006
6 Thank bonesting69
BathStreetInn, Owner at Bath Street Inn, responded to this review, 8 February 2007
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the inn. We're sorry about the odor in the Wisteria room; it actually wasn't "old house" odor at all but new carpeting! We had just installed it the previous week and through a comedy of errors the odor free padding we had requested went to Orange County. The sweet smell was the final treatment to neutralize the gasses from the pad. The carpet is actually phase one of a planned renovation of the Wisteria room. When we finish the Tiffany bathroom project, ( new carpeting and flooring and claw foot bathtub) we promise to give loving attention to the Wisteria room.