“A Lovely B & B”
Review of Bath Street Inn

Bath Street Inn
Ranked #4 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 July 2007

We love B & B's because they are homes, not hotels. Each room is unique and can be wonderful, with the staff making or breaking the experience. When in SB, we always stay at the Bath Street Inn. The rooms are homey and comfortable. When we walk in the front door, we always head to the kitchen because Marie, Deborah and the staff are the best part of the experience. Welcoming and warm, they are helpful and accommodating to the max, ready to make phone calls or get info for you upon request. Breakfasts are great and their daily snack/wine offerings are low key, but yummy. If you want "new" and cold, go to a hotel. If you want homey comfort with a historical feel and like to interact with people, go to a B & B... and you cannot beat BSI!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 June 2007

I needed a quick getaway from Los Angeles and decided to try bed and breakfast as opposed to a hotel. I really picked the right place!

After contacting the B&B directly and discussing my needs I was booked in the Garden Room which was perfect for me. It had a separate entrance and I was able to enjoy privacy when I needed it , but still was able to enter and enjoy the house when the urge hit me.

The breakfasts I had were perfect and served with such personal attention. The landscaping was beautiful and I enjoyed sitting on the porch, sipping iced tea and eating homemade cookies while reading my favorite book.

I was without a car and it was just a 15-minute walk to the downtown area. Overall my need for privacy and entertainment were more than satisfied.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank cwalk318
Reviewed 2 June 2007

We stayed at the Inn for two nights. We stayed in the Summer Room. The room was very large but the bathroom was incredibly small and there was no A/C in the house. Luckily the nights got chilly but the open window caused traffic noise to disrupt our sleep. The Inn is very nice with lovely gardens in front, side and a lovely back patio. The wine and cheese hour had all the guests in the main rooms talking and sharing places to tour and eat. We enjoyed our conversations with the other guests very much. Breakfasts were served quickly and were very innovative. The first morning we had mexican eggs with cottage cheese corn muffins and the second day we had peach stuffed french toast. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2007

I chose Bath Street Inn (BSI) for a college reunion after a house rental in Santa Barbara fell through. Our group spent a full week at BSI and from the beginning we were asking ourselves "What were we thinking of when we thought we wanted to be in a rental house?"

This place is like your second home with a waitstaff. Every one of the seven days we were there, we were served a different, always delicious, homemade breakfast entree (think stuffed French toast or baked eggs Florentine, for example) along with fresh fruit, coffee or tea, juice, granola and yogurt. Did I forget to mention the poached pears on our first day? It seems there was always someone in the kitchen, all day, every day, getting ready for the next food event.

Afternoon tea at 4:00 pm also included lemonade, iced tea, homemade cookies and cakes. Almost before we were finished with tea, out came wine, cheese and crackers at 5:30. We found ourselves scheduling our activities around the serving schedule at BSI.

Even better than the food (and that is saying a lot) was the care and concern given to all of us that really made us feel at home. One day our group made an all-day excursion to Hearst Castle, almost three hours one way by car. Upon learning that our schedule might cause breakfast to be rushed, the staff planned to arrive early to make sure we had plenty of time to enjoy breakfast and depart on time.

If you ask for a dinner recommendation (and they were all terrific), you should be prepared to have the staff make the reservation for you on the spot. They have copies of menus from dozens of local restaurants, so you'll know before you get there exactly what to expect. And you can skip dessert and coffee at the restaurant: homemade cookies, cake, coffee and tea are awaiting your return no matter what the hour.

I wish I knew how the owners of BSI find the top quality staff they have. It was almost as if all of them were owners themselves. Once when several guests were engaged in a lively discussion in the dining room, I saw Suzanne motion Chelsea to watch and appreciate the cordial atmosphere that they were creating. During the week we enjoyed the company of several interesting guests who had stayed at BSI before.
And Marie, one of the owners of BSI, is a charming, interesting and well-traveled hostess who has the knack of being both attentive and helpful while not being at all intrusive.

Each of the dozen rooms is different; be sure to ask about their features if you have strong preferences. This is a charming Victorian, 100-year old home that offers the kind of hospitality and service that seems to be fading in our society. Five stars all the way!

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank BelloSouth
Reviewed 10 April 2007

My wife and I recently went on our honeymoon. Of course the first place we thought of was the Bath Street Inn, in Santa Barbara. This was not our first visit, and will certainly not be our last. The "B&B" style of accomodation, is not to be missed when you travel, and the Bath Street Inn, is without doubt the cream. Marie and Deborah are two of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. When we called and made our reservations, they were not only accomodating, but remembered us after two years since our last visit ! We arrived to find that Marie had waited to see us, long after she would have normally gone home ! And to top that, had changed her breakfast menu to my favorite meal-Eggs Florentine, and had remembered my allergy to walnuts and made special muffins for me. People, not the place, make a good "B&B", especially when the entire staff treats you like family. We stayed in the Garden Room, which they had recently renovated. It has a jacuzzi tub in the corner of the living room area and like all the other rooms, was enchanting. We were there before other guests checked in and were able to look at the open rooms. For longer stays, they have a "Country Suite" which has a full kitchen so you can create your own dinners in your room. This is a must visit if you are going to be in the Santa Barbara area or Solvang - 30 min away.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2007

My Husband took me to Bath Street Inn for our 20th wedding anniversary. We were greeted at the door by our hostess and given a tour of the house. Everything was neat and in place with relaxing music playing in the background. It reminded me so much of my Grandmother's house that I almost felt like we were staying with her. We had a beautiful tea time with cake, cookies, tea, and lemonade. The same was provided after seven with additional pie and coffee. Our hostess made everthing very pleasant and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2007

Santa Barbara's Bath Street Inn was beyond a shadow of a doubt the best accomodation experience I have ever had! I have stayed is all the high end hotels in every major Cdn city and none can compare to the service and special care I received at the Bath Street Inn. From special dietary needs to local directions and advice...the staff at the Inn were the most friendly and pleasurable I have ever experienced! Thank you Bath Street Inn for a quiet and beautiful stay at your B & B...I WILL be back!!

Stayed: March 2007