“A splendid English Inn a million miles from Cheshire”
Review of Cheshire Cat Inn

Cheshire Cat Inn
Ranked #1 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
england
“A splendid English Inn a million miles from Cheshire”
Reviewed 14 October 2009

Had a wonderful experience in a wonderful English Inn. Staff were ever so pleasant and helpful. True historical English decor (It was like stepping back in time) i loved it! Very tidy, clean and organised. Could not be better located, slighty off the main st (a brisk 10 min walk) where all the action is, so is very quiet and peaceful during the night. I really enjoyed the breakfast, the scones were exquisite! Over all i had a lovely stay, i would definitely stay there again (I wanted to move in! lol) You will not go wrong by booking a stay here, trust me! It makes a change from all the predicatable/typical inns throughout California.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
usa
Reviewed 11 October 2009

There are a few positives to our stay, pretty decent location, loved our private patio with the hot tub and the room was quiet. The breakfast was good the first couple days, then became rather boring having the exact same cereal and fruit with limited protein every morning (except weekends). I found it odd that you had to run the shower for a few minutes in order to obtain hot water in the bathroom sink. I could go on, but I shall spare you all the details. This is a decent inn for the money, just not quite what we expected.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 September 2009

What a bed and breakfast!!!! The location is awesome, only a short distance from the lovely downtown Santa Barbara, and the premises are extremely beautiful. The room I checked into was clean, very spacious and had a great roof terrace complete with sun loungers. The bed was so comfortable, I had trouble getting out of it in the morning! A fantastic breakfast awaited me every morning, served in the courtyard, which set me up for a memorable rest of the day. The staff were friendly, curteous and very helpful, and I had the pleasure of meeting the owners, who were just as friendly as the rest of the staff. All in all, this beautiful bed and breakfast made my stay in Santa Barbara all the more memorable, and I will DEFINATELY be staying here when I return. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 September 2009

My husband and I stayed here while in Santa Barbara for a wedding. The inn is absolutely beautiful. The breakfast was delicious as was the cheese and wine each evening. It's extremely clean with nice touches (toiletries, etc).

The location is a little bit off from all of the action, but a short walk will take you there. Also, there are plenty of cabs to take you home from dinner and/or your evening out. I would definitely stay here again.

Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I wanted some place in Santa Barbara where we could walk to dinner each night and had some charm. This B&B is three blocks-four blocks from restaurants etc and is very charming. The location is quiet and there is parking available for the guests. Our room was very spacious, it was one with a sitting area. The staff was wonderful and had great suggestions for dinner each night. I would definitely stay here again. The only drawback is that there is no air conditioning. Usually for July that is not a problem in Santa Barbara, but I believe there was a heat wave while we were here. The room did get warm in the afternoon, but when we returned from dinner we opened the windows and doors and it cooled off nicely each evening. There was small fan in the room, which helped when we were getting dressed for dinner.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
CheshireCatInn, Owner at Cheshire Cat Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2009
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Inn and Staff, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Cat’. During the summer we do have the occasional hot spell and offer air conditioning in a couple of suites and cottages.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 July 2009

My wife and I traveled to Santa Barbara primarily to attend a wedding, and we spent three nights in the Mad Hatter Room at the Cheshire Cat Inn. To say that we were happy with the Cheshire Cat would be a big understatement. We have stayed in many B&B's around the world, and this was our best B&B experience ever.

To begin with, they were very accommodating in allowing us to have a late Friday night check-in. The Inn consists of two side-by-side Victorian homes that are stunning in their appearance, extremely well maintained and immaculately clean. The attention to details was impressive. The service, led by the inn's congenial manager, Bharti, was impeccable. Entering the Inn was like stepping back into time about 100 years -- yet with all the modern amenities available. The furnishings were so appealing that you wanted to take them all home with you.

Our room, the Mad Hatter, could not have been more charming and romantic. It was very attractively decorated in primarily green hues. There were Mad Hatter themed pictures on the wall. The room size was just right -- not too big and not too small. The king size bed was extremely comfortable; we slept great. It was the kind of room that beckoned us to stay inside.

On Saturday and Sunday mornings, a hot breakfast was served. One could either have it brought up to their room or enjoy it amongst other guests in the pretty patio area that lies between the two Victorian homes. We arranged to have the breakfast served in our room on Saturday, and it was brought up precisely at 8:30 a.m. as requested. On Saturday we had delicious a French toast with cream filling, maple syrup and blueberries. There was also a side dish of sliced strawberries. Sunday's breakfast, which we enjoyed on the patio with beautiful classical music in the background, featured a wonderfully tasty Mexican casserole. On Monday, a continental breakfast was served, but this was not your average continental breakfast. There were eggs, cereals, toast, muffins, granola, yogurt and probably other items I cannot recall. For beverages, there was coffee, orange juice, apple juice, milk and hot chocolate. At 5:00 p.m. each day they have a wine and hors d'orves hour on the patio. It was a great way to unwind from a day of hectic activity.

The Cheshire Cat Inn sits on lovely and meticulously maintained grounds that include a spa, gazebo, the aforementioned patio and lovely trees. There was ample off-the-street parking too. For us, it was a tranquil oasis and escape from our busy regular-day lives. The location in Santa Barbara was superb -- just a block from State Street, the quintessential main street of the city where seemingly all the action takes place. Many of the people attending the wedding stayed at a big hotel where the event occurred, but we felt like we were in on a secret by slipping away to the Cheshire Cat Inn. After staying there, we simply cannot stay anywhere else during our next visit to Santa Barbara.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary at the Cheshire Cat B&B. We drove up to Santa Barbara from San Diego, and upon arrival to the Inn we were greeted with balloons and a bottle of wine in our room.
We stayed in the Queen of Hearts suite that had the MOST incredible jacuzzi tub, which was amazing after a day of kayaking and horseback riding. The room was immaculate, the bed was comfortable and firm, there were TONS of down pillows (which I love!). Breakfast was interesting and unique, however our first morning there breakfast consisted of (in my opinion, very tasty) bread pudding and fresh berries and yogurt. Unfortunately, my husband wont eat anything containing cream cheese (which the bread pudding had in the middle) or yogurt...I am certain they would have accommodated us if we had mentioned it, though.
There were very comfy robes in our room that we lounged around in as well.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we have every intention of going back next year.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple