“Love This Place”

Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals
Los Angeles, California
“Love This Place”
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here the night before and the night of our wedding and was so happy we did. Our room was super cute and had plenty of room. The location was ideal, walking distance to the beach and the service was amazing. Everyone was so nice and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2012
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
We appreciate your 4 star review of our property especially since you stayed here the night before and the night of your wedding and were so happy that you did! We're happy you did also and that you found your room super cute roomy, especially the night before your wedding. Walking distance to the beach is a plus. Thank you so much for pointing out that "the service was amazing and" that "Everyone was so nice and accommodating." That is exactly what we strive for. We hope you come back to visit us again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We had a small wedding in Santa Barbara last year and a friend thought this place would be great. We stayed one night! We had a room downstairs at the foot of the staris (an upgrade because it had a patio that looked at the driveway). The bathroom was clearly a converted closet, long and skinny. The sink was a triangle in the corner and smaller than a motor home. Two people could not even pass each other. The bed creaked and hit the wal every time you moved yet alone anything else. Ww had to put towels up so the headboard wouldn't hit the wall. The heater was a little pseudo pot belly stove and made so much noised when it went on so there was no sleep at all. (its was cold in January). Breakfast was not horrible but less than mediocre. Do not go. Santa Barbara Inn gave us a room with a view for less money. Stayed an extra night to make up for the debacle of this place.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Chrisptine711
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 4 May 2013
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your free room upgrade with your private enclosed deck. Most of our bathrooms are small like you point out. When the home was built in 1910 it only had shared bathrooms and we converted all of the walk in closets into private bathrooms so that all guests would have private baths. In years past and in many B&B's it's still common for guests to share bathrooms. We decided that private bathrooms for all guests would be a better fit even if they are on the small side. In addition to the central heater in the home we also added small electric fireplaces and large ones in some of the rooms. They are all individually controlled so you can turn them down very low or very high depending upon the strength you need. I've never had anyone mention them being noisy and I use them in my own home and love them because you can turn them on for a while and each person can heat up their own room for as little or as long as they like in addition to the central heating. We just checked on this one and turned it up as high as possible and it is still not making any noise so I'm not quite sure what the problem was with it for you back in January during your stay. For breakfast we always have alternatives if guests have food allergies or would like an alternate breakfast choice. We're really known for our wonderful breakfasts and most people rave about them and ask for our recipes because they are not your ordinary diner food bacon and egg dishes that you can find almost anywhere. You mentioned finding another property and liking it better. That property is not a Bed and Breakfast. It is a standard hotel with standard rooms and does not include the breakfast, wine social, free bike rentals, beach chairs, and extra amenities included in your stay at the Old Yacht Club Inn. However, not one size fit all in this industry and some guests prefer a shared balcony on a high traffic noisy crossroad over a private enclosed wicker furnished deck like the one you were free upgraded to. I'm surprised that the traffic noise did not bother you and a heater that you can turn off would. Also that you would prefer no breakfast as opposed to a full sit down breakfast being served to you, even if it was just our excellent fresh brewed coffee, home made granola and juice. This was clearly not a good fit either for you or for us however if you had let us know of your concerns during your stay we would have tried to make you more comfortable.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We recently spent a full week at the OYCI. We had one of the best rooms I think, in the second building. While the staff was truly wonderful, the room, the bkes, and particularly the plumbing were not. Our room was on the ground floor, had a kitchenette, and deck. Everything was well worn. The first night we had guests in the room above us the plumbing backed up raw sewage into our shower, nasty! Jasmin and house keeping did a remarkable job, responding very quickly to the mess.

I'd recommend a major cleaning of the breakfast/living/check in room. It needs fresh paint and a good decorator. The food was good. Breakfast could have used a bit of meat once in awhile with more variety! One hour was hardly adequate access especially on weekends. Cognac in the room, wine reception at 5pm and cookies for after dinner were all fine and appreciated. Skylar was always available and eager to be of help.

I'd stay again but will look elsewhere if it's for a week or more.

Room Tip: Definitely stick to the lower floor. Traffic on the 101 and the late train would have been miserabl...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VegasLady46
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
We value your input especially since you spent a full week visiting with us. Thank you for complimenting our "truly wonderful staff " and location and how our Innkeeper, Jazmin did a remarkable job, responding very quickly when a plumbing problem occurred. We will check the paint in the kitchen area that you pointed out. Thank you for that. " The food was good," you point out -we don't serve meat, never have as it leaves a rancid, diner type aroma which we want to avoid. Our meatless menu does rotate daily with some menu items being Santa Barbara Omelet, French Toast topped with fresh toasted walnuts & sliced bananas, Chile Cheese Souflfe, Herb Onion-Potato Omelet accompanied with varying breads, fresh fruit and various juices, imported tea selections and freshly ground coffee. We also put out early breakfasts upon request at any time for those who have special events to attend. Sherry is always on hand in your room as you point out in addition to wine reception at 5pm and home made cookies for after dinner that were all appreciated. Innkeeper,Skylar was always available and eager to be of help. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and let others know about the Old Yacht Club Inn.

I'd stay again but will look elsewhere if it's for a week or more.
Westlake Village, California, United States
Reviewed 8 April 2013

very nice and well located...breakfast was good and the B&B is a quaint old place that gives one a feeling of being around 100 years ago...in a good way! the bikes are fun and a great way to see the town and the boardwalk. this place is a great launching point for wine tasting in the Santa Ynez / Los Olivios area, as well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Old Yacht Club Inn.
You chose such a special time to spend with us. We love this location as you have pointed out and enjoy to share it with guests like you who appreciate the quaint feeling of "yesteryear". Yes, the bikes are a fun bonus since the coastal bike path is just a block away and breathtaking to ride right along the ocean. I hope you got to experience the Urban Walking Wine Tasting Trail too, walking distance from the Inn in addition to the wine tasting in the Santa Ynez Valley. So happy you enjoyed your second anniversary with us.
Warmly,
Eilene Bruce/Innkeeper
Visalia, California
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Room Tip: This is a historic property with a lot of character and charm. Our Santa Rosa Suite overlooked the s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Wow, surpassing your expectations is just the finest compliment we can imagine.
I really love "meeting" my guests on the phone. It is my first chance to try to make you as comfortable as possible. I remember you explaining that you were coming to town for medical appointments I really wanted to make sure you were comfortable when you had some time away from Sansum and that your wife also got some TLC as well. When you come back, let us know that you need an "early breakfast" so you can have something before you head out and then your wife can have the regular breakfast too. Just knowing that you will look no further than The Old Yacht Inn when returning to Santa Barbara really lets us know that we made you feel at home. Especally when you say, "We were hosted as guests in every way." We look forward to hosting you again!
Eilene/Innkeeper

Totally surpassed our expectations in so many ways! First of all Eilene was unbeivably accommodating in hellping make the reservations for a combination birthday weekend for my wife and an extended stay for medical appointments at Sansum Clinic. She could not have been more gracious. I had to leave before breakfast hours on our first morning and while getting coffee before leaving the dining room, I just asked if I could have my wife get an extra plate of something to warm up for me upon my return. Patri'cia immediately asked if I had a couple minutes before I had to leave, and if so, she would whip up some eggs for me on the spot! Unbelievable!!! Jazmin, Coleen & Skylar were all so helpful in making this a special weeekend for my wife's birthday! Our room was spacious, we enjoyed a wide variety of excellent food every morning, the evening reception allowed us to meet some interesting fellow guests and the location was surprsingly close to the beach. We look forward to our next Santa Barbara getaway and will definitely look no further than The Old Yacht Inn when considering where to stay. We were hosted as guests in every way.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I was in Santa Barbara for a few days of R&R, and decided to try out the Old Yacht Club Inn. My experience here was fantastic! The staff were very kind and friendly, the weather was incredible during my stay, and the food was awesome! The Inn is located about a block away from East beach, so all I had to do was walk across the street and I was at the beach! All in all, I can't think of a single complaint about this lovely place. Definitely worth a shot.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Trevor G
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know what a fantastic experience you had while you stayed at the Old Yacht Club Inn. Knowing that you found our staff kind and friendly and found our breakfasts "awesome" during your few days of R&R is really let us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks so much for visiting finding our Inn so lovely and letting others know about us.
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We tried and tried to get in touch with the manager because the dust was coming into our room through the heater, as well as other problems. The staff wasn't able to help us. We wanted to change rooms, but she never returned our call, so we finally left a message telling her that we were leaving to find another hotel. We couldn't stand to breath and sleep in the dust again. Too bad, the place looked charming online. We hate to write a bad review, but felt that we were totally ignored, and that's not hospitality.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PamelaP149
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
This must have been so disappointing for you, especially since we were sold out and were not able to relocate you to a different room while we had your heater repaired.
The staff notified us right away so we were able to contact our in house maintenance repairman. After he looked at the heater he let us know that the heater needed a certified hvac mechanic who was able to repair the heater the same day. While we were on the phone with maintenance, the hvac mechanic and our on site Innkeeper we were able to have the heater fully repaired in a short amount of time and called to let you know but you had already left. Just like at home, we have no way of knowing in advance when something is going to break. When it breaks, it breaks. We rotate rooms daily for general maintenance and sometimes a guest will let us know if they notice something in their room that may soon need attention. We do apologize that the heater in your room broke when you were occupying it and hope you still ended up having a wonderful time in Santa Barbara.