“Relaxing Experience”

Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals
Los Angeles, California
“Relaxing Experience”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Old Yacht Club Inn. We were on a budget so the room we chose was a little small but with a cozy vibe. Enjoyed breakfast and chats with Coleen as well. Great bike selection for morning rides along the breach. Very short walk to the beach or corner to catch the trolly to State Street. The main room could use a new coat of paint to spurce up the place. Other then that, all was great and will return same time next year.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
We are very happy that you enjoyed your two night stay at the Old Yacht Club Inn. Our bike selection does lend for leisurely morning rides along the breach. It's also a short stroll-1.5 blocks to the beach or corner to catch the trolley to State Street. Looking forward to seeing you same time next year. (We're painting the downstairs right now, as I write this!) Thanks for sharing!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Torrance, California
Reviewed 13 July 2013

WARNING: The Old Yacht Club Inn does not come close to living up to its website. I have NEVER given a review anywhere, but after our stay there this weekend, I felt compelled. This B & B is in desperate need of a whole new facelift. I can appreciate old antique charm, but the Old Yacht Club Inn is just old and rundown. The owner assured me my room came with a patio. Her definition of patio: old dirty bench with small table in the front of the house underneath a window facing the street. Don’t be fooled when the website says there are bikes for its patrons to use. They literally look like they have been pulled out of a junkyard. It took my husband and I 20 minutes to find two that sort of worked. My seat kept falling off and eventually the whole chain on my bike fell off as I was peddling quickly along. Thankfully no one on the bike path was hurt, including me, as I was somehow able to maneuver my way around everyone and everything and steer onto the thick grass until I was able to come to a stop. Ironically, as my husband rushed over to help me on his bike his chain fell off! Our room smelled old and musty and the air was thick and muggy. There was no air conditioning or ceiling fan. The largest windows were painted shut so they couldn’t be opened. There were a few unpainted windows we were able to open but that did us no good as we were in a room facing the street and had no privacy unless we shut the drapes that then covered the breeze from the small windows. The toilet was loud enough to wake up the whole block. We ended up leaving after the first night and staying at the Motel 6 two doors down. Sadly, the Motel 6 was more comfortable (air conditioning and newly remodeled rooms) than this B & B. If you still decide to book a room here, you can say you were forewarned!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
20 Thank boliviano39
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
The Old Yacht Club Inn has been in business operating as a Bed & Breakfast since 1980. If the things written by this writer were true we would no longer be in business. Guests like this are a nightmare for business owners and for other guests staying at a small property. We advertise honestly and prefer not to cater to guests such as this. The owner answers all phone calls & e-mails to the property and gives each caller personalized attention so that they get the best fit for their needs. When a potential guest calls and asks for specific amenities such as air conditioning, or something specific that we do not have, that caller is referred to a suitable property. ESPECIALLY on a summer weekend in Santa Barbara. We sell out anyway, as we only have 13 guest rooms and a 3 bedroom suite. Rather than book an unsuitable guest, it is ALWAYS my preference to refer that guest to a property that is a better fit for that particular caller than to "misrepresent" anything to the caller as this guest claims, as the accommodation will sell via phone, a "walk-in" guest or via on line booking to a guest that is looking for this particular fit. I am very clear, honest & up front about our property in photos, and in my verbal & written communications.

In this particular booking, the wife called to make the reservation after calling multiple properties. After speaking to her for a few minutes about our property she said she was going to cancel the reservation that she had made at another "hotel" and book with us. I reminded her that we are not a hotel, but a Bed & Breakfast and to make sure that she was able to cancel without any penalty before she booked with our property. She insisted on booking with us before canceling at the other "hotel" as she said they had only a 24 hour cancellation policy.

When she asked if we had air conditioning, I told her that we did not and explained that beach area homes in Santa Barbara do not have air conditioning. It is part of the beauty of being in Santa Barbara. We open our windows, maybe turn on a fan, if absolutely necessary, (which is very rare) and being only a block from the beach we smell .& feel the fresh ocean air. When her husband arrived to our property, he started ranting & raving about "no air conditioning" and yelling that he wife was told that the property had air conditioning.

This guests room is quite lovely. It does face the street, and happens to be a very large King Size room with private entrance, small electric fireplace, a 4 poster Cherry wood canopy bed, private bathroom, extra day bed to lay down & read on or watch the flat screen TV and a small patio outside of the room in addition to a large covered front porch a few feet away from the room & a large sun deck on the back of the house with lots of chairs, tables & umbrellas and antique fountain, custom made from the first California Cooperage Hot Tub. This guest actually called me to tell me that his room had no patio and no where to sit. Since I had recently arrived at the Inn and actually seen the patio within the hour, and the room is newly redecorated with a new a new chair recently purchased, I actually thought that maybe the guests who had departed the night before had taken our new chair. Hard to believe since no one has ever taken anything from our Inn before in the past. But this guest insisted that there was no chair in the room. However, when they left, my husband and I went into the room and what do you know? The chair and patio were still there.

Our B&B is located on a relatively quiet side street, a block in from the Beach. It's pretty rare to have such a nice quiet street in a California Beachy Neighborhood walking distance to shops, restaurants, wine tasting, etc. The main beach blvd. is a block away where the beach is so it's nice to have the location a block in, off of the main blvd. The Motel 6 property that this guest is referring to is on the same street that we're on, facing the street and does have air conditioning as most all motels do as there are rooms on both sides and in back of the room so it's not possible to get the type of air flow that we have in a B&B type home. But if a small, simple, inexpensive overnight chain motel, no breakfast, no patio, is what you feel at home with why not book that in the first place, shut all your doors & windows, blast the A/C and enjoy! One size doesn't fit all in this business. Do your shopping, take notes when you call a property or else you won't remember who said what and don't expect a Motel 6 when you book a quaint little bed and breakfast.

el Mar Drive is a relatively quiet side street with very little through traffic, which is quite rare for a neighborhood with such close proximity to the beach. East Beach is our beach here and it's Santa Barbara's best swimming beach and absolutely spectacular. Facing the street from our Inn and our Julia Metelmann Room are lots of palm trees, flowers, Victorian & Mission Craftsmen Homes and a brand new beautiful, newly constructed $4-$5million dollar Spanish Style Family Vacation Home. This is a fabulous location, a short 1 block stroll to the beach & walking distance to shops, the pier, restaurants with breath taking ocean views and walking distance to the Urban Walking Wine Tasting Trail. The bike path that runs along the ocean is also only a block away which is why we have free bikes for our guests to borrow. We buy used bikes, rather than new ones because in the past when we've bought the new ones they've gotten stolen from downtown when guests have locked them up and gone off for lunch or shopping. Since we've been buying the used bikes from a local bike shop, which cost us the same as new bikes in Costco we haven't had any stolen. Being a University town with 4 major learning institutions here, students tend to "pick up" a bike, ride it to their destination and leave it there. That seems to be Santa Barbara's most widespread crime-bike theft. (I used to work at the Sheriff's Department before becoming an Innkeeper and wrote multiple bike theft reports per day!) Also sent the crime reports to the FBI Quarterly and that was our highest crime reporting, if you can believe it. Being born & raised in New York, that was a new one for me. Hence, the used bikes seemed to save the day. I hope I've covered everything here and cleared up any misconceptions about our property. I know the 1 star rating from this former guest really lowers our rating on Trip Advisor but unfortunately most guests, stay and have a fabulous time and don't write reviews. They're happy, go home and go on with their lives. Then there are guests that love to be in an air conditioned motel room, which is fine for some travelers but what I find puzzling is with all of the listings, websites & photos on line is why they don't just book that to begin with.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Southern California, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed for only one night and the room was small, no air conditioning, but was centrally located. We enjoyed riding the bicycles to dinner at Enterprise Fish Co and had happy hour at the Yacht Club. The breakfast was nice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CaliforniaRiverGirl
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
The Old Yacht Club Inn has room sizes that range from small to very large suites with additional large separate sitting rooms and, of course are priced accordingly. Homes in Santa Barbara do not have air conditioning, it's the beauty of living in our Mediterranean climate, especially with our location being a block from the beach & sea air. We do have overhead fans when needed. Thank you for pointing out our central location and how much you enjoyed riding the bicycles to dinner to one of our local nearby fish restaurants after complimentary happy hour at the Old Yacht Club Inn. The breakfast was nice, you say so we're extra happy that you enjoyed that as well. Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback. Your Innkeepers.
Orange County, California
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We wanted a short getaway; when we checked in, front desk guy was just average, not cheery or hospitable- I was a little surprised since I was thinking, cute, charming - was hoping same for employees & the place itself. Well, we found a yellow stain on our bedsheet; my husband asked front desk guy if we could have it changed - front desk guy straight up handed him another flat sheet & fitted sheet, and did not offer to have housekeeping take care of changing the stained sheet.

I was pretty saddened & disappointed but we did not want to deal with complaining since we were tired & sweating (it was VERY hot in our room, even with all windows open & ceiling fan on). Besides, we were planning to eat breakfast in the mornings & did not want to have a bad experience with that too!

So yes, we ended up changing our own bed sheets! I have never done that or expected to do that AWAY from home on my VACATION. It was really disappointing.

For the price of the rooms, I was expecting not to have to change my own sheets & better customer service, so I would not choose this B&B next time we visit SB.

CONS: small room, ceiling fan was a bit loud on higher speeds, no air conditioning, train & freeway are super close so pretty noisy, room door was always stuck somehow & took many tries to open each time & required a bit of slamming to close it

PROS: quaint neighborhood, super awesome location close to beach, bikes available, delicious breakfast, plenty of parking in front & back of B&B

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house may be quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank MissDvo
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed our quaint neighborhood with super awesome location close to beach, bikes available, delicious breakfast, plenty of parking in front & back of B&B We are going to do a little extra training this week about "handing guests bed sheets" if something like this ever comes up again. We've never had this happen, however it seems like common guest services for the Innkeeper to remake the bed for you. So, so sorry about that. I do apologize. We have very large rooms and suites and they are priced accordingly when you make your reservation. Larger rooms, suites come with slightly larger price tags. Not much higher, maybe 10, 20 dollars a day for large kings with either decks, balconies, French doors to open outdoor space-great for summer. Thank you for your feedback.
Temecula, California
Reviewed 23 June 2013

The cons: room was on the shabby side (bedding, bed, carpet), cheap "fireplace", dirty deck with no view, cheap wine and cheese hour, blah breakfast food that was similar to what you'd get at a breakfast chain like Village Inn (definitely not "gourmet"), unfriendly owner (Eilene)--did not come across as a people person like an innkeeper of a good bed and breakfast should, rooms are overpriced.

The pros: one block from the beach. That's it, sadly.

I won't be returning.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay. There are so many good ones in Santa Barbara for the same price.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank Maria N
We apologize that you did not enjoy your room with private deck. We do not advertise having views and do not describe having views in our room descriptions. I was not at the Inn on June 23rd so I am very puzzled as to why you describe me as unfriendly as we did not have a chance to meet each.Our rates are very well priced and we are almost completely sold out for the next few months. The traveling public is very sophisticated, checks rates and availability and will not book overpriced rooms. The Santa Barbara waterfront area, actually all of Santa Barbara is very high end real estate but especially down by the waterfront where we are located. Our rates are reported statistically to us monthly along with other properties in Santa Barbara in whole and also broken down by area. We always fall in the lower price category and have not raised our rates in years in order to keep our property affordable for all to enjoy and return.

The pros: one block from the beach.
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 June 2013

As I had some holidays which I wanted to spend alone in Santa Barbara, I decided to choose a B&B because they are normally more personal and often you can easily chat with other guests. When I arrived the inn-keepers were not there, but they had left the key for me to get in. I had chosen the Captain's Corner because I liked the name and it had a private little patio going out to the backyard. The room was quite big, decorated in an old-fashioned, but charming way. And it was quiet - I am really very, very sensible to noise, but it was really ok there. Maybe it was a bit dark, but that was no problem as I spent all the days outside.
The breakfast was wonderful. In the afternoon they serve local wine with some cheese and grapes, which is a nice idea, but as I did a lot of sight-seeing/ acitivites during the day, 5 o'clock was a bit too early for me. Maybe I was a unfortunate, but the other guests were nearly all couples sticking to themselves even at breakfast. Normally I don't have a problem travelling alone which I do quite often for work, but this was one of the rare places, I think even the first one, where I felt a lot of people looking bizarre at me because I was a woman travelling alone.
When I went out after breakfast the first day in the morning it was a real joy to discover the beach just a short walking distance away. I went running there everyday, which was wonderful. You can walk from the Old Yacht Club Inn easily along the beach to the center of Santa Barbara and Stearns Wharf.
Conclusion: The Old Yacht Club Inn is a nice guesthouse which I would mostly recommand for couples. It is quite expensive, but it's the same for all the other B&Bs and hotels in Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: I liked the Captains Corner where I stayed.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Whoopie89
San Diego
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We came to stay two nights over Memorial Day weekend.

We enjoyed our stay. We had a nice room and a small deck for ourselves. But instead of the deck, we sat on the charming and spacious front porch in the evening.

The area was quiet and the staff was wonderful.

The breakfast part of the B & B was exceptional.

We WILL be back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AguilaSanDiego
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review of your experience at the Old Yacht Club Inn
during your two night stay over the Memorial Day weekend.

We're delighted that you enjoyed your evenings sitting out on our front porch and found it to be charming and spacious.

Wonderful staff and quiet area is a plus an exceptional breakfast is such a compliment for us and sounds like it really added to the enjoyment of your stay.

Saying that you'll be back, is the best compliment you could give us.

Thank you so very much for taking the time sharing your experience.