Belmond El Encanto
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Simpson House Inn(Santa Barbara)
View Hotel
Orange Tree Inn(Santa Barbara)
Presidio Motel(Santa Barbara)
  • Breakfast included
Spanish Garden Inn(Santa Barbara)
View Hotel
Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites(Santa Barbara)
View Hotel
Lemon Tree Inn(Santa Barbara)
View Hotel
Town and Country Inn(Santa Barbara)
Holiday Lodge(Santa Barbara)
1,103 results
All reviewsinfinity poolheated floorsbeautiful propertypool servicerain showerin room diningthe pacific oceanvalet staffthe entire stafffour seasonsbeautiful roommain buildingbungalowspafireplacepatiocalifornia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We spent this weekend up at the El Encanto in Santa Barbara---a magnificent experience from start to finish! It just received Forbes 5 star-rating, so we were anxious to get and see for ourselves. Outstanding service and hospitality--the staff couldn't do enough for us---and the grounds, suite, pool and view were all spectacular! And despite the 5-star rating, you don't feel as if you need to get "dressed" while roaming the resort---very laid back and relaxed vibe. We cannot wait to return. This place is a keeper, and a little jewel nestled high in the Santa Barbara hills! A great alternative to the Four Seasons, and you won't want to leave! Its old school Santa Barbara, with all of the amenities you wish for in a dream getaway/weekend from LA.

Be sure to check out their website--GREAT specials/packages right now (Jan 2014)!! We booked the spa package, and were given a $150 credit for a spa treatment, and $60 breakfast credit for each day of our stay!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MalibuJoe17
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Spoiled for life. That’s what I am after our stay at El Encanto. As the other reviewers have noted that grounds, views and rooms are spectacular. Our bungalow was on the second floor, and the amenities in the room were unlike any other place I’ve ever stayed. Attention to detail is evident throughout the resort. What I could not get over is how quiet and peaceful El Encanto is. Although there were several guests, we really didn’t hear any noise whatsoever. I highly recommend this hotel as a great way to get away from it all.

All the staff we encountered went above and beyond to make our stay special. We were even offered an upgraded room which we greatly appreciated. We visited the gym and had a nice relaxing time enjoying a drink on the terrace. I highly recommend ordering “The Charmer.”

All in all, a truly memorable stay. Thank you El Encanto!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KristiMD
Laura M, General Manager at Belmond El Encanto, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear KristiMD,

I couldn't be happier to see that we have spoiled you for anything else! We wouldn't have it any other way!

Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Couldn't be a lovelier property, nicer staff, delicious food, wonderful 86 degree heated pool with a stunning view of the ocean in the distance. Afternoon tea is exquisite - as good or better than the award winning 5 star hotel teas in London!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Jody C,

Thank you for the wonderful review!

I know you have stayed with us several times now and I am so glad to see you sharing your experience with the Travel community.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at El Encanto 33 years ago. It is much improved since then. The patio is great for lunch on a nice day which it is almost always in Santa Barbara. Our food was only average though the lunch menu is interesting. However, our chocolate dessert was outstanding.

The staff service was excellent but our waiter seemed a little lost.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear OjaiJohn,

I am so glad to see that you enjoyed revisiting and reminiscing at El Encanto. We certainly hold a lot of memories for so many people and I am glad to see you approve of the changes!

Thank you as well for your honest feedback regarding your lunch. We certainly recognize that our menu needs some alterations and we are currently working on improving all of our food and beverage offerings. I do hope you will visit us again in the near future, I am confident you will be wowed.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

This hotel is local to my home, so we use it for fine dining and for our overflow guests. Everyone loves it! The renovations have been done sympathetically with the original plan and the accommodations are simply wonderful - particularly the suites! The meals are fabulous and the bar and outdoor seating have unparalleled views. Just the most wonderful ambiance anywhere!

I only gave the El Encanto a 4 star review however. The meals often slip up somewhat. We had a group of 8 there last week, and six of the meals were great - but the other two were simply horrid. One didn't even have half of the ingredients on the salad - and the plate served next to it did have everything - so that's how we knew there was a problem. We pointed it out to the wait staff and they really didn't think it was a big deal and just asked if we wanted another dish... the hospitality business is all about customer relations, and this was very poor indeed.

I wouldn't mention this, except it has happened several times when we have larger groups. Often most of the meals will be good, but one or two will be sub-standard. So go - but be prepared to complain and ask for the manager if you have to! it's expensive, so you need to get what you are paying for!

Room Tip: Go for the suite!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear SBGiGi,

We love our locals, thank you so much for trusting us with your out of town guests! It means so much to us that you would refer your friends and family to El Encanto.

I very much appreciate your candid remarks about the dining experiences you have had. It certainly helps us to realize we need to put more emphasis on our larger parties. We are determined to provide the best service every time...I do hope you will continue coming and seeing improvements in service and consistency of food presentation.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly next time you visit, I would love to stop by and say hello.