“Quaint with Character”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
AZ
“Quaint with Character”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I checked in late and checked out early so the only thing I really experienced about the hotel was the room. It was clean and well equipped with toiletries and complimentary snacks and water. The pillows and bed were very comfy and the tv remote had it's own little "sanitary bag". There was also a ceiling fan which was quiet and a nice touch. I opened both windows to let in the cool coastal air; it was pleasant and peaceful all night long.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JESUSISLORD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Check-in was very smooth and the staff was very friendly and informed us of where to check to see if the whales were migrating still when we mentioned that we were interested in whale watching.
The hotel consists of multiple two-story buildings in a quiet residential neighborhood. We were a little apprehensive as we noted that there was a hospital a couple of blocks away and were concerned that we might hear ambulances coming to it. We never heard a thing.
The room we had was on the second story in one of the rear buildings; it was fairly large and had exposed beams in the ceiling. The bed was on the smaller size (a double) but it was very comfortable. Also in the room was a writing table/desk with a mesh chair and two upholstered chairs with an over-sized ottoman, a large flat-screen TV sitting on a dresser rounded out the furniture. They provided complementary bottled water which was replenished when you took one. Fresh fruit (apples) were also provided along with small packs of cookies to have with your choice of coffee or tea. The bathroom was very nice with Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries including a shower cap. Also in the bathroom was a shaving mirror, a container of Q-tips and cotton balls and a toothbrush holder.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Upstairs in the rear of the property might be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My friends (4 people) and I stayed at this hotel for one night while traveling to Santa Barbara for a concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl. It situated in the middle of a residential neighborhood and has a very old school apartment feel. The one good thing about the room was that it has a full kitchen, a living room area, and a tiny nook so it was cozy but that's about it as far as good stuff. Other than that, the place is very outdated, the beds are stiff (I still have a stiff neck!), no balcony, no view, and not walking distance to State Street where there is tons of stuff to do. Honestly, I would just rather pay more and be closer to the beach!! I guess the reason one of the friends chose this room was to accommodate 5 people but I would still rather get two rooms closer to State Street or the beach.

Upon leaving the hotel, we went to the pier at Stearns Wharf and had a great time there. We had lunch at Longboard's Grill. Yum! Great atmosphere, great views, and great food!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank shaq4545
SBHotelGroup, General Manager at Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Greetings shaq4545,

I am delighted to hear you had the opportunity to enjoy our wonderful concert venue, the Santa Barbara Bowl. The open air arena allows for an ocean view while enjoying musical delights. As you mentioned our hotel is located in a lovely residential area offering a sense of ‘home away from home’, which many of guests seeking a quiet and relaxing experience enjoy. Our apartments and townhouses, equipped with all the comforts of home, are a convenient choice for families and group travelers. I am sorry to hear our mattress was uncomfortable for you. We will be sure to inspect all our beds to ensure a restful sleep for our guests. Warmly, Carol Wolford – General Manager
California
Reviewed 5 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel while visiting the hospital. It was very convenient. Spent $10 extra and had a room with a kitchen. Hotel was clean, fairly quiet, and the staff was great.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank erinautical
La Verne, California
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel and management is the best. The room was lovely and so clean and well maintained. The restaurant was also very good. I watched the staff and saw the work that they were doing and was quite impressed. My Husband was sick and the staff was fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask to see the suites.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pamela D
Blaine, Washington
Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

I lived in SB for 24 years & this was my 1st trip back as a visitor after 2 years away. I know how insanely spendy the SB hotel market is so I was actually pleasantly surprised to get such a great deal on a 2 night stay here. I used to live around the corner from this hotel so I knew the limitations of the location & it was exactly what i was looking for. It is close enough to downtown without being part of that whole "scene" & away from the noise of the beach crowd. Perfect for me as I was in town only for the weekend for a specific event close to this hotel. The room was clean, comfortable & mostly quiet (some sort of "foghorn" like noise at night, perhaps a pump for the pool? Easily remedied with earplugs...which one should ALWAYS travel with). I don't spend a lot of time in the room when I travel so higher end amenities are lost on me...I just want clean & quiet & this place more than fit the bill. The computer/printer in the lobby is handy for printing boarding passes & the hotel staff from front desk to housekeeping was friendly, helpful & top notch.

This is my new home away from home in my old hometown.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank pebbleinmyshoe
Damariscotta, Maine
Reviewed 22 March 2012

If you are in santa barbara and not in need of the 'high' end ambience easily found there, this hotel is the best located of the family style settings. With a pool, clean and nice rooms and a great staff, you have easy access to all of the things to do downtown, plus effort free parking and a useable cafe on site. Pool, laundry, hot tub - none of it fancy but all clean, solid and welcoming. Worth your attention. We stay here every year on business trips and enjoy the savings for other types of 'luxe' events.

Room Tip: Ask to stay overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family