Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Orange Tree Inn(Santa Barbara)
View Hotel
Lemon Tree Inn(Santa Barbara)
Presidio Motel(Santa Barbara)
  • Breakfast included
Town and Country Inn(Santa Barbara)
Holiday Lodge(Santa Barbara)
View Hotel
Simpson House Inn(Santa Barbara)
Agave Inn(Santa Barbara)
View Hotel
All reviewssansum clinicbird aviaryon site restaurantresidential areafull kitchenbedroom suitestate streetbest westernswould stay here againbottled waterquiet locationclose to downtownbit datedwalking distancebath streetnice stayhome away from home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel while attending a family function. It is close to the downtown entertainment area on State St. Our room was spacious and clean. The hotel has a restaurant on site so there isn't any provided breakfast. The restaurant was fine but alittle pricey.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The hotel is located about 1.5 miles away from downtown Santa Barbara. It was quiet, clean and well run. The hotel provided complimentary bottles of water, fruit and cookies in the room. The hotel is off the street, so you did not hear any street noise. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: As for a room in the back
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2013

very clean hotel..our room had 2 bedrooms, 1 large bathroom w/tub, a living room, and a kitchen stocked with dishes, micro & full size frig. Our downstairs unit had a courtyard patio w/table to sit outside. We saved money by having a full kitchen. Pool area was clean and had lots of chairs. staff was friendly and helpful. a couple streets over from State St where you can catch bus that will take you to downtown & harbor for .50 cents. would stay again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Delightful to stay in a spacious, quiet, two-bedroom suite while traveling and catching up with an old friend. We left the car and walked everywhere -- to the Mission, to downtown, to the waterfront. The neighborhood is residential; management helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This was my 5th trip to Santa Barbara. I am a working class schlepp, but I usually go to a resort (and pay through the nose for it), not because I am an snob with affectations, but because resorts usually offer more conveniences and activities, which work out well for my family. Unfortunately, I was on a tight budget this time, as the trip was unexpected and not planned well in advance. I rented two rooms for two nights at this place--one for hubby and one for my 85-year old parents. Total cost $960.

The good: The rooms were neat, clean and comfortable. Comfortable bed. The bathroom was roomy with nice heat lamps on the ceiling for after the shower. The water pressure in the shower in our room was terrific. Nice toiletries were provided, as well as two bottles of water, a coffee machine with all the fixings, a small refrigerator to store things in, hair dryer, ironing board with iron, two light bathrobes, a large screen TV and two chairs, one of which was a recliner.

The fair: The location is okay for a budget place. It is in a residential area of tightly-packed-small houses of mid-century vintage, near a hospital. If you are interested in experiencing the strip of shops and restaurants on State Street (where all the action is for tourists), or the wharf and the oceanfront, then you will have to drive, deal with the tourist traffic and find parking (Yikes!). Santa Barbara is not that big of a town, so driving around is easy and most things are within 1-3 miles of this place. Still, if you want to do the usual touristy things without involving your car, traffic and parking headaches, it might be better to get a place closer to the heart of the scene and pay the extra money for the convenience.

The building is old. It looks like a motel that's been somewhat maintained. The restaurant and it's furniture were dark and aged. The breakfast was okay; my family liked it. It looked clean, but it was hard to tell in the low light. The wallpaper in our room was comprised of a large print of fruits on a vine that my husband said reminded him of his grandmother. I agreed..it was dated, but color coordinated with the plush carpet and bedspreads, which were comfortable to walk on or to look at/sleep in. It wasn't lux, but it wasn't that offensive to the eye, either. Soft sage greens and soft beiges dominated the rooms, punctuated by a few spots of soft oranges and yellows. I guess the best way to describe it is this: It's not a RESORT, folks. It's more like a middle-class bedroom that's a bit dated, but kept clean by the homeowner. It's like staying at a neat friend's house.

The bad: Checkout was an ordeal for me. I booked online after being quoted a particular price. When I checked out, I was handed a bill with different prices for the different days I stayed there (Sat and Sun nights). I asked the female clerk about that and she said she didn't know. I said that was an unacceptable answer. She then said the prices online were "probably" averaged. I did some quick math and that wasn't exactly true either, and I told her so. Then she said, "Well that's just what dropped into my computer!" And I said that I was more interested into what dropped into MY computer, when I was quoted a price and enticed to book! She said "prove it!"

I went out to my car, which was parked in front of the open door to the lobby to get my cell phone to find the confirmation email. She then had a conversation with another person standing in the checkout lobby ABOUT ME and some nasty remarks about me were said, which I heard! She then laughed at me the top of her lungs! I cannot express how upset I was about that. I went back in there and asked her how many days she had to work behind that desk to earn $1000 and how she would like it if someone laughed at her, when she was getting ready to spend that amount for a two day stay and merely asked for an explanation of the charges.

She was embarrassed and apologized several times. When I found my email confirmation, I discovered that it only had a confirmation number and a weather report. I didn't have the confirmation email with the totals on it. I let it go and left. I was so upset, I needed to walk away.

But I can say unequivocally that I would NEVER stay there again. What a far cry in customer service from a higher end hotel, where your concerns are handled with care. Like I said, it's not a resort. It's a motel, and the staff acts like it. I got what I paid for. Next time I will print out the confirmation and bring it in to confirm prices before I check in. My bad.

1  Thank MyArt4U