“Impressed!”

Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Chatsworth, CA, United States
“Impressed!”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed in Spring here for a very reasonable rate and it was fabulous! For the price this updated hotel couldn't have been better. I didn't realize it wasn't quite close enough to walk to state street- over a mile and I am not a walker at this point- but there were lots everywhere to use. My daughter and I loved our clean room and had fun at night in the spa and stayed up late watching Full House reruns- perfect getaway. Breakfast is not included but there is a lovely restaurant on site. All the staff were very friendly. Highly recommend!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Amanda M
Carol W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Your review of our hotel makes me so happy; thank you for your wonderful comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed yourself here at the Encina Lodge; and that you will come see us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Moses Lake
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Our family with young children stayed here 2 nights while visiting family in the area. When I talked with the staff by phone ahead of our stay, it really felt like a small family-run business rather than a large chain hotel. They were very understanding of the multiple changes in our dates, and our last minute decision to return later in the day after checking out that morning. They gave us the same room since it was still available. We stayed in one of the apartment like suites with two bedrooms. While it is not the most contemporary decor, it is well-kept and clean. Plenty of space and quite comfortable. Desk staff were helpful and courteous. Priced very reasonable for SB and for the type of accommodation. We tend to prefer a hotel that has breakfast included, but we managed nicely by purchasing some simple breakfast items and utilizing the kitchenette in the room. We also found coffee and breakfast at the Daily Grind shop nearby to be reasonable and delicious. We did not try the hotel restaurant. Parking for the room we were in was on the street only as the parking lot spaces were always full. Also with no elevator, getting luggage upstairs was a bit of a chore. But we did request the upstairs room to avoid noise from rooms above us, so we can't really complain about that too much. The hotel is in a residential area, so it is mostly a very quiet location. The street behind is busy, but not bothersome.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
We so much appreciate your writing a nice review about our hotel. We do take pride in our property; and see that you had a nice visit with us. We are sorry about the parking; when the hotel is full; some guests have 2 cars; and that makes another guest without a place to put their car. We do try to control that by giving out parking passes.

Please come back and see us again when your traveling to Santa Barbara.
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Wanted to spend a weekend in Santa Barbara while visiting my daughter in LA. Many hotel venues were either sold out or out of reach cost- wise. This lovely property proved to affordable, immaculately clean, and quite convenient. We had a room with two double/queen beds. Everything you could think of was in the room. Beds very comfortable and room nicely appointed with comfortable sitting chairs at end of each bed; a more than suitable desk and electric outlets. Nice HDTV and fast Internet connection. Hotel staff just so professional and helpful. Would only say that an elevator would be helpful for someone having difficulty going to second level with luggage. Only a small negative in an otherwise lovely hotel. Will definitely return on the next trip. Thank you for the hospitality.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, request first level room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
We are pleased you chose to stay with us while visiting your daughter here in Santa Barbara; and thank you for writing such a nice review of our property. Next time you come for a visit; and if your in an upstairs room; just request the housemen to assist with your luggage. We have someone here from 7am to 11pm in that capacity. Hope to see you again soon.
birmingham, al
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was quite concerned about staying in this hotel because the price was so low. I am, sad to say, a recovering hotel snob. I still have moments of stupidity, but with successful stays like this BW, I think I will make it.
PRO's:
Price
Location - We walked everywhere! However, this could also be a bit of a "con". We are very active folks, so walking is not a big deal. Keep in mind getting to the action of downtown is about a 1-mile walk, with some hills, and at night there are NO street lights in the neighborhood where the BW is located. We used our flashlight ap on our phone. Come on Santa Barbara..Really? Put in some lights!
Cleanliness - Our room was spacious and clean.
Breakfast - Not included (con) but the on-site restaurant was fast and yummy. There is a great little diner on State Street just a few blocks from the hotel as well as an IHOP.
There is a nice pool that is heated, although we did not use it.

CONS:
Our room was a little outdated when it came to furnishings. It could use some sprucing up for sure!
Our particular room backed up to a very busy street. The room has little noise cancellation, so for light sleepers, or folks that don't like the sounds of traffic, this could be an issue. Not a big deal for us.
Breakfast not included but great coffee offered in lobby.
So, these cons are NOT a big deal. Overall, I thought the hotel was cool, in a "California Old School" type hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the property may be noisy
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Santa Barbara. Sounds like you really enjoyed your time here; except for the few items you noted. Sorry about the lack of street lights; I have noticed that also over the years of living here. I am constantly updating and renovating the rooms; so hopefully next time you will get one with more modern décor.

Hope you come visit us again.
Bristol
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Myself, my partner and her father stayed here for 4 nights. We originally had a room booked, but upon arrival were upgraded to a suite. The suite turned out to be effectively a self catering apartment, and was fantasic. 2 large, seperate bedrooms, one with 2 double beds and a TV, and one with just one large double bed, no TV (My partners father was dissapointed to not get his own TV!). There was a very large sitting room, with massive corner sofa and recliner chair, with a big screen TV, as well as a decent size kitchen, with fullsize fridge/freezer and a 4 seater table to eat at. All cooking equipment was provided too.

The staff were so helpful it was untrue- I cant say enough about how friendly and accomadating they were. We travelled in by bus from LAX, and they arranged to collect us from the bus drop off, which was great. Then being from the UK, and not knowing the area, a member of the front desk gave us detailed directions allowing us to find the nearest grocery store to stock our cupboards. Later in our stay, we wanted to get in to town without walking (I will come to that later) and again, the front desk were so helpful in phoning a taxi for us, and explaining how much it would cost, and where we could get a taxi to get back later (its illegal to hail a taxi on the street, in Santa Barbara). Then, at the end of our stay, they arranged for us to be dropped to the train station with all our luggage, which again, was really helpful.

The cleaning staff were also wonderful, they came in every day and did a great job, and each day a selection of fresh fruit and a pot of sweets was left (which my partners father loved!) and a couple of bottles of water too. Its the little touches like this that you really, really appreciate.

We only used the pool & jacuzzi once, but they were both nice enough.

The only reasons I cant give 5 stars are:
1) The location.
Whilst the hotel is located in a nice quiet residential area- it is quite a long way from downtown Santa Barbara. We were travelling without a car, and tried to walk to and from downtown, but it was just too long a walk- probably best part of an hour (we arent old- I am 33). Its a nice walk, no bad area's or anything, just too far- especially the walk home in the evening, after being out all day.
The other downside is there is not a lot nearby either, so if you dont want to go all the way to town, there isnt really a local restuarant or bar (at least we couldnt find one!) to pop to on an evening. There is a restuarant on site- but that leads me to the second downside-
2) There was a restaurant and bar on site- but for the duration of our stay, there was a sign up saying they could not serve any alocholic drinks, I think due to a licensing issue. I know this was only temporary, but it was still dissapointing, as one of the reasons we chose this hotel was due to it having a bar on site- as we knew it was a bit out of the main drag, but thought we could alyways pop to the bar on site for food/drink in the evening, if we didnt want to go downtown- However, as it was not serving drinks, this really ruled out this option for us, which was frustrating.

All in all though, a wonderful stay, thanks to great staff and a very well looked after property- would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Carol W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
We are so pleased you chose the Encina Lodge to stay during your vacation in Santa Barbara. Thank you so much for writing such detailed information about your visit; sorry about the lack of alcohol in our restaurant at this time. It is just a temporary problem; we are trying to rectify asap. We do hope you will come visit us again.
Fillmore, calif
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Staff were so kind and professional. Hotel clean and I felt safe. Location was great for us across the street from Cottage Hospital. We were able to spend important time with our loved one. They understood how important this was for us and worked to meet our needs. The restaurant was good and very convenient.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for reviewing our hotel; and pleased you enjoyed your visit; even if it was for the hospital. Hope you can come next time for a vacation; would be happy to see you again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I needed to attend a wedding in Santa Barbara, however, the rooms at the venue were prohibitive for my budget. Because I booked several months ahead, I got a great deal ($143) at the Encina Lodge. For Santa Barbara, that is a great deal by the way.

My room was charming. It had a single queen size bed and a shower, instead of a bath tub. The ambiance was just right. The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating and I enjoyed a cup of coffee when I checked in. The hotel is about a mile from the hubbub of State Street. It is located in a quiet residential area.

As I left to go to my vehicle this morning, I saw their outdoor aviary. It was brimming with activity as finches were flying and jumping from feeder to nest to perch and back again. I stopped to watch and about 6 of them stopped to watch me. They were adorable and beautiful. Frankly, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Santa Barbara the next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Carol W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
All of us here at the Encina Lodge thank you for this wonderful review of our hotel; and thank you for staying with us. We do hope you will come again and enjoy another visit.