This is my second stay. The last was five years ago. My husband remembered the quiet location and given that we were in town for the 4th of July weekend... we wanted to be out of the fray of the strip.
First the cons: 1. They really should have a continental breakfast because although the food quality is fine at the onsite restaurant, the service is so slow it negates the food.
2. It's quaint and a bit dated, but not shabby. Please strip the tiny-flower wallpaper and simply paint the rooms a neutral color! 3. Noise does come through the ceilings when the above floor moves about, but not frightfully so. 4. Needs to pre-cool the rooms when guests are to going to check in that day. It takes forever for the air conditioners to fully cool. 5. Our bathroom smelled slightly of damp. 6. Double beds are a tight squeeze for some couples and grown children (most dip slightly towards center of room from single sleepers). 6. No individual reading lamps by bedside, just a single room lamp in the center which keeps all awake until its extinguished.
Second the pros:
1. Quick, efficient, friendly check in. 2. When I found that the rate had dropped by checking online at their own website, a quick 4 minute call and zero hassle got the rate adjusted. No questions asked. 3. Water pressure and heat of shower is amazing. 4. Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries are nice. 5. Aviary adds a personal, sweet touch, and my child found it soothing to watch the birds. 6. All staff encountered were genial. 7. This may sound weird, but the tile grout is immaculate! I hate scummy or mildewy tile grout and this hotel has NONE! :) 8. Room 206 does not share walls with any other room (but does have upstairs neighbors to hear). Awesome. 9. Quiet street location. 10. Inviting looking from outside. 11. Convenient ice machines and juice dispensers between sections of rooms. 12. Adequately cold and quiet working fridges. (Don't know why this is so hard for most hotels to get right!)
Overall, we will go back. A simply wallpaper peel would do them a world of good. But that being said, even the condition of the paper is good. The print is just too precious.
Thanks for a good stay, again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on a quiet residential street lined with turn-of-the-century homes, the BEST WESTERN PLUS Encina Lodge & Suites in Santa Barbara offers all the amenities of a small luxury hotel with the charm of a bed and breakfast inn. Relax by the garden pool, enjoy the aviary, book a massage, or simply unwind on your own private patio or balcony. Ideal for extended stays or family vacations, Encina Lodge offers a variety of accommodations, including guest rooms, suites, and apartments. Quilted bedding and floral accents lend the rooms their quaint country charm. Many of the units have full kitchens; plus Las Aves Café is open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with room service available.Located in midtown, the hotel is adjacent to Sansum-Santa Barbara Medical Foundation Clinic and Cottage Hospital, and is just minutes from historic downtown, the Red-Tile Walking Tour, Mission Santa Barbara, golf courses, beaches, wineries, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Odigeo, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Encina Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Encina Hotel Santa Barbara
- Best Western Encina Hotel
- Best Western Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara Best Western