“Not impressed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Mesa, Arizona
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

The room was clean, I will say that. But, I was traveling with my mother, who needs a can to get around. When I made the reservations, I was told there was an elevator, there is no elevator. Which is fine for me, and a lot of people, but not for her and many others. The front desk clerk went through everything so fast, that you could not understand anything that he said and seemed irritated that we were even there. When I asked him questions, he went through the same information, just as fast. Doesn't help. Although I thank him for opening up a cheap bottle of wine for me, he still seemed irritated by the fact that he had to talk to me. There is no bell service, at all, and while the maintenance guys will help you, it still isn't bell service. Although, they were truly the nicest people I dealt with at this hotel. Then, the morning of check out, there are two cars parked in the handicapped spaces, my mother's being one and another car. Once again, there is no elevator and you have to go through the pool area to get from the parking lot to the rooms if you cannot take stairs. There were two cars in the the handicapped spots, and the hotel decides that this is the day to power wash the pool deck, hence, cutting off handicapped access to the cars, even blocking it with yellow crime scene type of tape, and forcing my mother, and I'm guessing another handicapped customer to take two flights of stairs to their cars. Seriously, it had to be done on that day??? Not to mention the train that goes through, which you hear, and the shower is too small for even Kate Moss. Save your money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank harlie98me

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Greenville, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2010

This hotel offers a lot to do for its guests. We got to our room and weren't disappointed. Yes, the decor is a bit old fashioned, but it's part of the uniqueness. The room was more than adequate in size and was clean. It rained the day we were in town, so we ended up taking the hotel up on their offers for wine and cheese that night. It was a nice touch. When we came back from dinner, they had cookies out for everyone in the lobby, too I thought that was nice.

After breakfast in the morning, we took a bike ride. The staff gave us them and we took off. It was the highlight of our trip because the weather was actually nice and we really enjoyed the bike ride. The hotel is not at the beach, but just down the road from it. I think their title may be a bit misleading for some. We need going into it that it wasn't right on the beach.

Overall, the place was clean and safe. It isn't the most expensive place, nor the cheapest. I'd say it's middle of the road expensive.

We weren't disappointed to say the least. Thanks to the staff for a nice stay!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2010

From the start we were very pleased with our stay. We were greeted warmly and were pleasantly surprised that the room was ready although we arrived before noon. The room was not glamorous but was clean and comfortable, and all we really needed since we were staying for only 2 nights. The complimentary breakfast is terrific and there's a wine reception which we did not attend but I'm sure is quite nice. There also were cookies and milk in the eventing and even free DVDs available -- they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Rooms were cleaned promptly and, remarkably, my husband accidentally left an important prescription in the room when we checked out. The motel phoned us at home to tell us that it had been found and then they mailed it to us immediately. We received the package on Wednesday and had checked out on Monday. Isn't that just so great??!! Kudos to the employees at Brisas del Mar!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

We loved our trip to Santa Barbara, due in part to the fact that we got free beach cruisers everyday and explored the town by bike. The hotel was perfectly located, walking or biking distance from the beach, State Street, etc. The pool, nice continental breakfast, wine and cheese, cookies and milk and free DVDs made it even better. The front desk and housekeeping staff were all wonderful and nice as well. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

As a frequent traveler, I was quite nervous about booking a hotel in Santa Barbara... no recognizable large hotel brands; mostly boutique styles with a large range of prices. I was pleasantly surprised by the Brisas Del Mar. The hotel service was great and the amenities they offered were good (free wi-fi; bike rental; continental breakfast)... the small things do count. I feel the name is a bit misleading; it is not at the beach... BUT... none of the hotels are on the beach (regardless of what they claim). This hotel is about a half-mile from the beach; easily walkable. If you are used to staying in large hotels like I am (I just came from a week of traveling for business staying at Intercontinental, Hyatt and Marriott) this hotel is different. Not a lot of modern decor or updates like granite, but clean and comfortable. FYI: All the hotels in Santa Barbara that I saw are external style doors, motel style. There was a bit of noise from the parking lot, and the train as mentioned in other reviews, but it was manageable. Overall, a good experience.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FrequentFliers2009
Highlands Ranch, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2009

My husband and two teens stayed at the Brisas Del Mar this Oct and had a fabulous time. The hotel and grounds are very well kept, you can tell they take pride in their establishment and it shows. Our room, two queen beds, was very spacious. The beds were incredibly comfortable, I'm very picky. The bathroom set up was perfect for having three girls in the room. A separate vanity and dressing area totally added to the comfort of staying for three nights and being able to spread out our things. We were able to check out a variety of DVD's from the front desk when we wanted to, even though we all fell asleep from too much sunshine and fresh air during each film. When reading other reviews of this hotel no one mentioned being able to rent for free the cruiser bicycles- such an added bonus for seeing the sites. You can take the bikes for up to 4 hours, a true Santa Barbara experience! We loved staying here. The staff was always very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was very good, especially being able to sit outside on the cozy porch. And we always looked forward to a cookie in the afternoon- nice touch! We love Santa Barbara for the beaches, the shopping, the dining, the hiking, biking, sight seeing- there are endless things to see and do. Definitely recommend visiting the courthouse, make sure you get there well before 4:45pm, that's when the tower closes, you need to see the amazing view! Looking forward to planning our next trip back some day soon I hope!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

Selecting a hotel via the internet is always a risk. But, in this case we were really pleased with our choice. The location is one of the best in Santa Barbara for walking the waterfront and the city, as well as convenient to good restaurants and the freeways.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple