“Affordable great location!!”

Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
usa
“Affordable great location!!”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Got it for $109 for one night on June 5th. Perfect for what we needed. Pulled into town late that evening. Started calling around and this was by far the best price for the quality. There were cheaper places but I assure you on driveby that they were slums. 3 other hotels very nearby were $150 or more. This place was clean and had a FREE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST. Waffles and all! Very effecient. The lady at the desk isn't overly friendly but she isn't rude either. She was effecient and very to the point but I made no requests of her so she was fine by me. The room was your basic room but she gave us a balcony even tho we were told it would cost more for one when we called. So she gave it to us at no extra charge to our surprise. It was a clean and adequate room. Nothing fancy but we didn't expect that and it accomodated all our needs. Rooms have been redecorated recently you can tell. It's an older hotel, but has been updated properly. Highly recommend. We walked to the harbor and a small park and shopping. GREAT LOCATION!! FREE PARKING~~~

Room Tip: Ask if balcony is available. It was nice ot have!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
San Diego
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Newly redecorated hotel in downtown, close to the train station. Walking distance to beach and downtown State Street eateries and the mall.
Breakfast is an extended continental with cold cereals, and oatmeal and scones, pastries, juices, and WAFFLES! oh and coffee too.
Hotel is clean and neat with nice design.
Room is nice, clean, comfortable bed. Decor is brown and tourquoise, cool seaside colors.
Staff is nice and helpful. I'd go back

Room Tip: we used expedia
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Greifswald, Germany
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I stayed at this hotel two nights at the beginning of May. It was my first visit to the US, but I was really pleasantly surprised by this place. It was not very expensive in comparison with other hotels in Santa Barbara, but the location was perfect - very close to the beach and to the State Str., where main shops and restaurants are located.
The room was really nice and well-equipped, with coffee-machine and other necessary staff. The bed was perfect. I also liked the balcony in the room, really nice place to relax or have a dinner if you don't want to go outside one evening. The room and the bathroom were very clean.
The hotel also offers sauna, spa and swimming-pool. Sauna was a bit strange because it was rather cold there. Spa and pool were totally OK.
I didn't like breakfast a lot, because there are too many sweet stuff, but I suspect that it is common for the US. However, the personnel was extremely nice and polite, they even cooked smth. like waffles during the breakfast, and it was just cute.
I would definitely recommend this place and would stay there again for holidays in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Cheshire, England
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We stayed three nights. The room was clean and bed comfortable. Breakfast nice choice and replenished quickly. No complaints about noise and would recommend to a friend.
Only negative - the bathroom door was damaged (looked like a previous guest had punched it!!) and this let the room down.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ellesmereporters
Corona del Mar, CA
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Although Castillo St. can be busy it is an excellent location for most everything. 101 on/off ramps are 2 minutes away. The beach is a 3 min. walk, the pier a 10 min walk, the marina 5 mins and State St. is a 5 min. drive or 10 min walk. Take your choice. The rooms are large and adequatly equiped. (When did you last have a surge protector 4 outlet extension in a $100 a night motel room?) The "day room"/lobby is large. Out group of 9 had cocktail hour each of our 4 night stay in one corner of it. The expanded continental breakfast is included. All in all it is a very good value for all the above reasons and the staff(Samantha) is on top of what ever questions and requests you might have.

Sr SrFr
Corona del Mar, CA

Room Tip: Ask Samantha
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank scottca075
San Diego
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Apparently it is difficult to find a reasonably priced hotel in Santa Barbara. What you would pay less than $100 per night, you pay closer to $200 per night. Anyway, with that being said, we stayed 2 nights in the Avania Inn. It is on Castillo Street - about 2 blocks to the main drag/water. The location was great. We walked to the wharf, State Street, etc without problem. The parking was free and easy as well.

The front desk clerk who checked us in was no nonsense, but efficient. We were in room 202. No balcony/patio. But it did have a view of the mountains out the one bedroom window. Overall the room was good, larger than I had expected. We had a king bed, sofa, 2 chairs, bench, table. The roof was remolded, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom had granite counter top, small fridge. The shower pressure was a bit of a disappointment. The first night was had to let the water run to get hot for a long time.

I thought that the room was a bit dark. Maybe needed another light/lamp. It was pretty quiet, only one time did I hear some people in the room above us walking around. We slept well.

There is a small pool and jacuzzi, which wasn't too bad. They serve a continental breakfast that is just OK. There are waffles you make yourself, which were tasty as were the scones. Could have used a hard boiled egg or mabye some cheese - but that is just me.

If I'm being picky the sheets and towels were what you'd expect from a cheaper hotel.

Overall, it was a good stay and I'm not sorry I booked us here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SDSpartan
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I stayed 3 weeks in the Avania Inn during my vacations and visited the english class in Kaplan / City college! The time was great, people in the hotel were from the 1st day until the end very very friendly and helped me wherever they could.
Samantha: always friendly and good mood, had nice talks with her and she was lending me her nice pink bike, so I could use it during the 3 weeks whenever I wanted => thanks a lot again
Mercedes: She organized the breakfast every day, very helpful to get some tips or ideas what to do in SB and figured out some schedules for me like bus or train => thanks for everything
May: really nice and helpfull, her nice pink cruiser-bike was great! Also she was funny and always friendly - thank you!

Room Tip: This hotel is really nice and clean, good place
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo