“Great business hotel in SB”

Avania Inn of Santa Barbara
Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Mountain View, California
“Great business hotel in SB”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

When in Santa Barbara on biz travel you need to balance glitz with a hotel that delivers basic affordable biz amenities. The Avania is close to the beach and downtown, with fast free wifi connectivity, free parking, and a very personable and friendly manager. My team and I will return here soon for our biz in SB. You exceeded our expectations this week when 5 members of my team stayed at your property. Thank you very much for your hospitality.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Nothing really special and expensive for the services.
Average on everything.
WiFi without good coverage.
Terrible breakfast (named continental) with only muffins and corn flakes.
Not very comfortable bed.
The location was ok.

Doesn't worth more than $70/night.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Aviana for 4 nights mid July over an extended weekend. The front office staff is very friendly and accomodated our request to a different room on the same floor, so we were not next to a family with a Baby.
The Hotel´s location is ideal if you are looking for a place to be next to the Harbor, Leadbetter Beach and the Pier, as it is 2 minutes to walk to the seafront.
The Hotel has been renovated - but a bit on the cheap side. The color scheme of brown and light blue feels cheesy. There is no closet, just a bar with hangers, the bathroom is "Motel 8 like" and they are too thrifty with soaps and shampoos for a $240/night weekend logding rate. The breakfast and lounge area are OK, but don´t expect a plentiful breakfast - it´s OK but nothing fancy. The balcony furniture is cheap plastic (if you´re lucky to have anything), so the Hotel can´t shake the motel feel, unless they upgrade.

On the Up-side, we liked free Wi-Fi and of course free parking, something the Fess Parker and Hyatt charge for!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the mountain facing and ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I've stayed here twice. The rooms are nicely decorated and I've managed to get good deals both times. It's a good location and I've recommended it more than once.

My only problem was when booking for a friend's wedding party last summer...the first person I spoke to on the phone was lovely. He gave us a good group booking and was very helpful & kind. When I called back to confirm the booking the lady in charge was so incredibly rude. Turns out the bride's sister had also had the same experience a few days before with this lady. I had to argue through everything that had already been agreed during my initial call. It was very upsetting, infuriating and such a disappointment to have someone like that ruining the hotel's reputation, especially as I was bringing a lot of custom to the hotel (over 7 rooms). If she hadn't behaved like that, then the whole experience would've been great.

The stay itself ended up being perfect for the bridal party & guests - but no-one should have to go through such rudeness and aggravation to make a booking!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I made a reservation for a weekend at the Avania inn 3 weeks in advance. I received an email confirmation with the correct date, name and my credit card number. After a 3 hour drive, I arrived at the front desk and the woman said they did not have a reservation for me and no vacant rooms. She was very rude and did not offer me anything. She left me stranded and furious. I ended up finding another inn and had to pay a lot more. I will never go to the Avania Inn again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2011

The thing is with Santa Barbara it is beautiful and as such is very expensive so you hav eto be prepared to pay more here than other motels or inns in the region. We found the Avania really good value for money- lovely suite with loads of space. Very peaceful in the evenings even at the weekends and just a 2 minute walk to the beach or 10 minutes into town.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
usa
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Got it for $109 for one night on June 5th. Perfect for what we needed. Pulled into town late that evening. Started calling around and this was by far the best price for the quality. There were cheaper places but I assure you on driveby that they were slums. 3 other hotels very nearby were $150 or more. This place was clean and had a FREE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST. Waffles and all! Very effecient. The lady at the desk isn't overly friendly but she isn't rude either. She was effecient and very to the point but I made no requests of her so she was fine by me. The room was your basic room but she gave us a balcony even tho we were told it would cost more for one when we called. So she gave it to us at no extra charge to our surprise. It was a clean and adequate room. Nothing fancy but we didn't expect that and it accomodated all our needs. Rooms have been redecorated recently you can tell. It's an older hotel, but has been updated properly. Highly recommend. We walked to the harbor and a small park and shopping. GREAT LOCATION!! FREE PARKING~~~

Room Tip: Ask if balcony is available. It was nice ot have!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple