“Great Service and Great Comfort”

Avania Inn of Santa Barbara
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
San Diego
“Great Service and Great Comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

My group rented 13 rooms from Avania Inn. The staff was friendly, personable, and offered great service. The rooms were very clean and very comfortable. The location was amazing, within walking distance of many Santa Barbara downtown attractions. I liked that it was not a corporate chain. The hotel had all the amenities and service of a national name but better; it also had a cozy, homy feeling created by the staff, which I believe were family. I would definitely stay here again in the future whether for business or for leisure.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

This trip was unexpected due to a family illness and I had to find something with short notice and within my budget. After striking out on Priceline with non-accepted bids for hotels, I did a further Internet search on Hotels.com which lead to to several Santa Barbara hotels. I went to a few hotel's websites to take a closer look at the available choices and found that Avania actually had an Internet special that was better than the prices posted for several other hotels on their site. I called the hotel direct to make sure the Internet special was still available. I secured a room for 10 days, got a confirmation by email and when I showed up I was promptly checked in. Being 'off season' I didn't pay the $200 some people paid, but I can see from the area and other hotels that during the season they most likely could get that amount. I went to see family and did not intend to spend much time at the hotel. I found the staff friendly and helpful, I did not need or request extra services. I had a great night's sleep each night and found that the rooms had new pillow top beds in them. This is not a luxery hotel, but that is not what I was looking for, this is fine for people who use hotels like I do -- to sleep -- not to spend time in watching TV, although they had a new plasma or LCD TV and wireless Internet for those who happen on a rainy day and can't get out to explore the area or just need a day to decompress.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

This was my first stay at Avania Inn. The rooms were spacious and well kept. I enjoyed the pool, jacuzi and sauna. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The breakfast was just right.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Riverside, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

My 15 year old daughter and I wanted to get away for a couple days, and Santa Barbara was the place we picked. Having stayed in many hotels, and done a lot of bookings fights / hotels / train in my lifetime, I read about 90% of reviews before booking.

This hotel (for the cost $79.00 per night), had to be one of the best I stayed at. It is 2 blocks from the ocean, 2 blocks from State St / Stearns Pier / Amtrak (which was our mode of transportation.) You can go 2 blocks and catch the quarter bus, that will take you up and down State Street a convienent way to move around there here.

This hotel is DEFINITELY a place I will be back to...the woman at the front desk was nothing but nice and cordial to us....even my picky teenage daughter like it....that in it self says something :~)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2010

The website shows off the Inn at its best and it's a bit less elegant than the website suggests. We walked from the Amtrak station to the Inn but I wouldn't recommend it if you have a lot of luggage. We were also lucky with good weather.
The Inn has a definite dated feel to it though the rooms appear to have been re-decorated in an unusual theme. We had a slight issue with the drawers in our dresser as they wouldn't easily stay shut because of an uneven floor. A coat hanger under the front solved that.
Large flat screen TV with many ways to connect other devices.
I would say this is about a 3 star Inn but would gladly stay again. It is walking distance to the beach, pier and wharf. Many restaurants nearby. Not being right on the beach there is a lot less traffic noise and we had a very quiet stay. Had a small balcony too.
For a room with a king bed it was $114 per night. This is off season of course but comparing others in the same area this was very competitive.
The lady who was at the desk was very accommodating and polite. They have free wireless internet, which worked very well, a pool which was warm, a jacuzzi which was only warm and a sauna which we didn't use.
It is no where near as elegant as others but hard to beat with all they give you.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

Check in was not a good experience due to the woman with an attitude who barked commands at us. We probably should have left but didn't. All we wanted to do was check in. It's amazing that so many hotels tolerate rude staff. Perhaps she was the owner.
The rooms are colorful and roomy. There is a decent pool which is good for kids. If you want a lap pool there is one a short walk away down by the harbor. Across the street is a large park which is perfect for kids, playing sports and walking dogs. The beach is a short walk away. Downtown Santa Barbara via State Street is about a 20 minute walk as is the Amtrak train station. Breakfast is served and has basic selections. Most people ate quickly and left. Overall not a bad location or hotel but there is no excuse for rudeness so we won't be back.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Berkeley, Ca.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

i stayed at the Avania for one night. My room was clean and quiet, if slightly oddly decorated in green and brown. It was next to the parking lot, but the rate was only $79, a pittance in Santa Barbara even on a March weeknight.

The Avania is just a few minutes' walk from the train station, where I came in. It's maybe 10 minutes' walk to State St., not an unreasonable distance. There are a number of hotels along Castillo St. where the Avania is located. There's a very good brewpub restaurant--The Brewhouse--nearby on Monticello St., where there's also a small grocery store (not just a convenience store). It's a block and half to the beach.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business