“Fess is the Best!!!”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Wonderful experience at the Fess Parker's DR. Resort location was walking distance to both Wharf/State Street and the Santa Barbara Zoo, which were the two main attractions we were looking forward too. The resort is an attraction in itself. Beautiful, clean, right across the street from the "East Beach." Great customer service, friendly, courteous, got a complimentary upgrade from mountain view to garden view. Our room was on the third floor which also gave us a great view of the ocean and the mountains. Will definitely stay there again when visiting Santa Barbara in the summer. Guest who have posted negative comments about Fess Parker's DR may never be pleased.

Room Tip: Go with the non-refundable room rate.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,423)

Reviewed 20 April 2011

We have four childre, ages 2-16, and were given 2 connecting rooms. The kids love the pool, putting green, shuffle board and basketball. They are never bored. Plus they enjoy the cookies!!!
The rooms were spacious, nicely decorated and clean. This stay the rooms were very quiet and were located in the gardenia building. We have found Fess Parkers to be a home away from home. We have stayed about 4 times in the past 5 years. Each time we are happy and love it. The workers are helpful and friendly. We recommmed it to families and everyone. So convenient to everything!! Great place!!

Room Tip: mountain rooms can hear the train more.
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at this location for one night. I have travelled extensively and have stayed at many hotels from the Four Seasons to Motel 6, and I have to say that the service I experienced at Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort was top notch! The property was in a good location and the rooms were spacious and extremely clean. I did not hear a train during my stay but must say that even if I had I doubt it would have bothered me, I thought the historic train station added to the ambiance. What stands out the most at this property was the extremely friendly, helpful, and courteous staff. Dave at the bell stand, YOU ROCK! For his customer service alone I would return to this hotel. In the current economic times customer service has seriously declined, it is so refreshing to visit a property that gets it right. I look forward to returning to this property in the near future!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 April 2011

This is our third time at the fess parker. Good location with a beautiful view of the ocean. But what makes the place special is that all the staff members are very friendly and willing to make sure you are happy.

Reviewed 14 April 2011

We booked here for 3 nights as a treat when touring California as we'd been staying in budget hotels throughout our trip with great success but fancied treating the kids for a 3 day "rest from the road".

Firstly the site is very impressive and on a great location on the beech. I dont know what I expected of Santa Barbara but was slightly put off by the homeless etc on the beech, but as a country bot that may well just be me.

Check in went well and the surroundings were lush, we booked a "hill view" room and were given a map to the room which overlooked the car park, and a swe later found out the rail road.

The room was spacious but we were dissapointed that we weren't informed of the railroad at booking, when we asked at reception thet couldnt really tell us how often the train passed with hooter full blast but it did end at 10pm ish and not return until 7am ish so no real hardship.

What we were not ready for was the charges, they like to charge. 22% ontop everything which is a service charge that "16% goes to the staff and 6% taken as an admin charge for doing this" this coulpled with no free wifi in rooms made me feel we were getting milked from the moment we drove in until we left.

The kids played in the pool and it was nice, but we decided that the hotel was not the place for us and moved on next morning. There was nothing I could really put my finger on but I really didnt enjoy our stay, I am extremely picky when it comes to hotels but have had no problems with teh Holidat Inn's, Crown Courtyards or Sheratons we stayed at, perhaps my expectations were just too high.

Room Tip: ask for something away form the car park
Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Bszabados, Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2011

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay at the resort. I sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your time with us. We do recognize the disruption from the noise of the passing train, as it runs by many of the hotels along the waterfront area in Santa Barbara. I'm so sorry that it caused a disruption to your stay. It sounds like the fees you are referencing are from room service. We also have three other food outlets at the resort, so we make sure to have options available to our guests that do not include added fees. We hope you will come back to stay with us again, so we can wow you with our exeptional service. Please feel free to contact me directly at the resort, and I would be happy to assist you.

Reviewed 11 April 2011

I've just read several reviews for this hotel and find it hard to believe that everyone finds this overpriced aging resort across the road from a very smelly 'beach' so fantastic! I wonder if the other reviewers have stayed in high quality accommodation before because I would definitely not classify this Hotel as high quality.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Very nice staff. Even the housekeeping were very helpful to assist me with finding my room. I loved the proximty to the beach and to the local shops.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business