“Cycling in SoCal”

Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
West Vancouver, Canada
“Cycling in SoCal”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We were on a cycling trip and stayed in the fess Parker hotel. Checking in was a little annoying as we got there about 3:30 after cycling all day. The room wasn't ready but they did give us some free drinks in the bar to make up. The room was really nice. We had a suite which was quite large. We had a dinning room table and a small bar fridge so we could eat in the room when felt like it. The only annoying thing was that the wifi cost extra which seems a bit much when it is free in most places now. You could get free wifi in the bar but that was quite a hassle. The cycling in the city and the mountains north was great.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is a great place to stay if you have dogs. We stayed with our two Dobermans and everyone could not have been nicer to us! We went out for a walking wine tour and it was so close to everything. We live in L.A. so the beach wasn't really a draw for us so it didn't matter that we didn't have a beach view. Everything was great!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Upon arrival at 2:30 PM I was told my room was close to being ready and if I left a number I would be called when ready. Check in is at 4:00 PM at 4:15 PM I went back to the desk and the room was ready, no call to update. The hotel was undergoing renovation so any issues related to that are understood. When we arrived in our room 432 it had a smell of dirty wet rags. I went to use the restroom and the floor was stilll wet from the housekeepers. When I bent down and dried the floor with the hotel washcloth the cloth was so dirty I was appauled. I took pictures of rags for your reference. The toilet seat was not secured and womble when sitting on it, the water in the toilet ran continuously. The room was not clean but was one of the recently renovated rooms. No wifi access because I was only at the blue level of Hilton Honors, will never get higher after this experience. Treated very abruptly and not with hospitality at the reception desk.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. We regret to hear about your disappointment during your stay with us and we do extend our sincere apologies for the various challenges that you experienced. Our goal is to have each guest have an enjoyable stay, and we appreciate you taking your time to write a review, as well as sharing with us areas that may need improvements. We are continuously striving to provide the best service to our guests as well as making adjustments to enhance our overall guest experience. We hope you return and provide us with another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I am originally from Santa Barbara and remember all the excitement about Fes Parker building a hotel down by the beach. But it was´nt until a few months that I had the opportunity to stay there a week. Most hotels I´ve used in europe have free internet for there guests. The pay for use service
provided is useless. (how do you sign up when you don´t have an internet connection). This is supposed to be a "Hilton" hotel. One more small thing, the ice machine in the building didn´t work.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the beach (south side). The train tracks are on the mountain side and the trai...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Decatur, Texas
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a huge resort and offers a beautiful view of the ocean. You are about 500 yards away from the ocean, but it can easily be seen from the balcony. There's a park between the hotel and the ocean, but again, you can easily see the ocean. The hotel is nice, the rooms are nice and I would definitely stay here again. In fact, I will make certain I do.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Carbondale, Illinois
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We checked in to the hotel after dark, and were placed in a room on the second floor of one of the buildings that was being renovated. As we walked to our room, we had to pass by the rooms on the first floor that were under construction. The general contractor, or the hotel management seemed to have done very little to camouflage the construction. There was no window covering, and each room had a light burning, illuminating the mess inside. We had to walk past wheel barrows, boxes, and construction debris to get to our room. The ice machine didn't work, and every time I tried to find a floor with a working ice machine, I found a torn up corridor under renovation. The hotel management can make all the excuses they want, but when I made my reservation I expected, and was entitled to better than this. Nowhere did it say that I should expect some discomfort or aggravation due to ongoing renovations.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

From our pick up at the train station by one of the most personable shuttle drivers, Chad, I've ever met, to a seamless check in, and the incredible personal connection and service from Alex, this has been one of the best arrival processes I've ever experienced in my many years of luxury business and leisure travel. Looking forward to the rest of the stay and hopefully many more pleasantly unexpected surprises. Off to a great start!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business