“Enjoyed our stay”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I got a great year-end rate for $139/night that included $50 hotel credit. The location is fantastic, right across the street from the beach and walking distance to Stearns Wharf and State Street. We stayed in the Bougainvillea tower and our room was newly renovated with earth-tones and high-end bedsheets. Although there is construction going on, we didn't notice it until we walked to the lobby for breakfast, that's when we noticed renovations on another building. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, which came with Starbucks coffee and juice of your choice.
Check-in was easy and the clerk was friendly. She handed us our warm chocolate chip cookies and bottles of water. We were able to check-in before 4pm, probably because it was off-season. My only complaint is that house-keeping came knocking on our door at 11:30am, when check-out is noon. They knocked once and as I walked to the door to let them know we hadn't checked-out yet, the door was opened by house-keeping. I suggest a longer period of time before they enter the room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,423)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel is in the middle of renovations - spa was closed - food just average at best - cleanliness of rooms were just average needs improvement - empty used wine glasses and ants were found when checking into to room - bathrooms need some serious cleaning- views were nice - staff was average to good.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is a perfectly acceptable hotel in a great location. Front desk staff was average, all others were very friendly. Main lobby is impressive, nice little bar area showing "Davy Crockett" videos from Disney above the bar. Happy hour prices were reasonable & the food was good.

Our room (604 in Dahlia bldg) was large with a nice little patio looking across the street to the water. With a AAA discount it was $300/nt. Not really worth it. Wifi in room for a fee, although free in the lobby. Parking fee $19/nt. Shop around- the rooms not facing the water are less, of course.

Wish I could say I loved it, but only average for me.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank San Diego is best
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Noisy trucks right outside my window all day (hotel remodeling) and would not accommodate me at all when there were plenty of rooms available. I was staying right next to the stock pile of supplies for the rebuild so there were trucks coming and going all day. The front desk did not care and I am a hilton honors members but was made to feel they did not care about my business at all.

1  Thank Glenda H
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for selecting our hotel when staying in the area. As a Hilton Honors member we strive to make your experience the best possible and we apologize that we have failed to meet your expectations. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we work to improve our on-property experience. We hope you will give us another try so we may demonstrate our commitment to your loyalty to the Hilton Brand.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Feel like a star. In Santa Barbara, this is the premier hotel to stay at with views of the ocean, and the pool. Loved the stay except the room service. I was there on business, but took my family. The bellmen and valet are awesome. Also, if you are handicapped, don't pay for valet. you can park right there.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I've read a fare share of negative reviews about Fess Parker's Doubletree in SB. Well, I only had positive experiences during my stay. I loved everything about this hotel. The room (studio suite) was fantastic and very high end in every regard. From the bed to the 2-sink bathroom with separate tub and shower, everything in my room made my stay comfortable. Everything was clean, spacious and well-appointed. The pillows, mattress and beddings were high-end, too. There's free wifi in the lobby only and there's a charge for parking. I ate in one of the lobby restaurants and was quite satisfied with my order.

As others have said, the hotel location is just fantastic. It's right across the beach (where you can go for a nice stroll or jog) and a short 2-mile drive to State Street (which is where you want to go for great eats and fantastic shopping). Some say you can walk to State Street from the hotel, and while this is true, the good part of State Street isn't near enough to walk comfortably. It's also less than a mile from the boardwalk, where there are great views of the ocean and interesting restaurants.

I would not hesitate to stay at Fess Parker's again. I travelled alone but can imagine this to be a very nice resort for couples and families, too. The rooms are certainly spacious and comfortable enough and the service I received was excellent.

Room Tip: I got a garden view room on the second floor at the Bougainvillea wing. While the wing is far from t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LJManila
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Across the street from the beach one of the best pools in Santa Barbara. Hotel has laundry facilities. Grounds are very nice. Parking is an extra charge. Rooms are large. Only issue as is true for most of downtown santa barbara is the train that may blow its whistle at night

Room Tip: Closer to the ocean the better so you are away from the train noise at night
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business