“Needs an update”

Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
New York City, New York
“Needs an update”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My stay was very average considering what is otherwise a wonderful location in a beautiful locale. On arrival the room was not as I had booked and no change could be made as the resort was completely booked. The building ("Dahlia") has a musty odor, and the room was very noisy. Specifically, noise from above and next door was very noticeable. Also, train noise which is said to be only during the day was heard in the fairly early morning when most people are sleeping.
On the plus side, the flowers were very nice and the pool nice sized. The pool was a bit cold, but the weather was also a bit too cold for an outdoor pool.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Dahlia. Do not stay on the first floor and noise from adjoining rooms also pretty lou...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amyloidbeta
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
We appreciate your compliments regarding our wonderful location, landscaping and swimming pool. However, we are very sorry guests nearby were noisy during your stay. I assure you, if we had not been fully booked our team would have offered to move you to another area of the resort. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor and giving us the opportunity to review your observations with our team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Turkish first
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Hotel location is great. We paid $399/night to stay at this hotel on 4/11/14. The room smelled like old dirty carpet. We complained to the front desk. They sent a housekeeper to spray the room and she told us that is the smell from the ocean which is of course not true. This is by far the worst smelling room I have ever stayed at. The walls are also thin. We could hear people in the room next to us very clearly late at night and early in the morning - when we need to get some sleep. Kind of disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank TKTRAN
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
We appreciate your honest feedback about your stay with us last week. We see that the smell of your room at our hotel was a problem. Your satisfaction is our highest priority, and we’ve shared your comments with our housekeeping team. We will take steps to resolve this situation. We apologize for this and the noise that was disruptive to you. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, and we hope you’ll give us another chance the next time you travel to the area.

Kind Regards,
United States
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was very excited to come to this venue especially because I was going to be staying in one of the suites. It was a beautiful room and the view was amazing. I was in the Presidential suite and it came with a private balcony. I could open my sliding doors and see, hear and smell the ocean each day. I feel like when you are in a presidential suite, it gives you a great representation of the hotel because this is them at their absolute best. Room service wise, I was very happy. Their response time was prompt. Everyone had great attitudes. I never had to wait for anything. I was even sick one night and when I called the front desk hungry and scared to eat, they came up with a meal of watermelon, chicken broth and sprite. My only issue was that the second night of the stay the fireplace stopped working. When I tried to use the spa tub, I found that did not work either. These were amenities that set this room apart. On a positive note, the man who came to attempt to fix it was very courteous and helpful. In the end, the spa could not be repaired. It was okay--I am more of a shower person and with body spray features, this was a great shower. The weather was also beautiful and so, I was not cold and did not need to use the fireplace, but it could have created some nice ambiance. I did not want to demand a room change since the room was amazing, but if one would have been honeymooning, the defective fireplace and spa tub would have been an issue. It was still an amazing stay and I was sad to leave.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for selecting our resort for your recent visit to Santa Barbara. We appreciate the details you provided and the team will be so pleased to read your very complimentary comments about the service from our staff. I am very sorry you experienced a problem with the fireplace and spa tub and thank you for reporting this while you were here. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon..
San Lorenzo, CA
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 days nights. We were in town for a wedding and were able to get a discounted price due to a block of rooms that was reserved by the wedding couple. Check in was a breeze and the cookies were delicious. Our room was very spacious and was on the ground floor of the bougainvillea building. The king sized bed was comfortable and the couch was a plus. The location of the room was perfect for getting in and out of the hotel, but not that great for accessing the lobby. I would have given the hotel a higher rating, but there is one major aspect that we weren't too satisfied with: housekeeping.

On our first night there, we noticed some lint on the couch and on the floor, which could have been easily cleaned up with a quick vacuum cleaning. Also, the mini fridge was very dusty (noticeably dusty, especially when I swiped my finger across the top). The following day when we returned to our room after a morning of sightseeing, we noticed that housekeeping didn't do any major cleaning. Our bed was made, we were given clean towels, and the bathroom was semi cleaned. I say "semi" because the hair that fell on the floor after brushing my hair earlier that morning was still there. Also, our dirty towels were left either on the sink or the towel rack. Our room wasn't vacuumed either and our tea bags weren't replenished.

Overall, it was an average stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Soniebaloni
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed at the Fess Parker for one night to rest for the night before heading up to San Luis Obispo. I rented out the room just to rest after a long day. I arrived at the hotel at 11pm and was extremely exhausted. I was impressed with the appearance of the resort, and its location.
I was "upgraded" to a garden view room with a view of the pool.
The room at first glance looked fantastic. It was very large and spacious. Unfortunately as the night progressed i discovered what was wrong with the room i got.
1. although everything looked clean, there was hair on the sheets, blankets, toilet, and sink. The hair was long and brown. I am dark haired and have short hair, i was traveling alone.
2. The shower faucet needed tightening, and the shower curtain did not slide all the way(due to the sloping shower curtain bar). Water escaped to the bathroom floor. .
3. The room i was in had a constant noise and vibration probably form a generator above me. At first i thought it was the AC but i made sure everything was off, and the noise never stopped. I was unable to sleep.
Would recommend this hotel though. Im pretty sure my experience was an isolated case.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Edgar S
We appreciate the details you provided regarding your stay and the guestroom, however we certainly wish you could have stayed longer than one night. Our team would have done everything possible to make certain any additional time at the resort was not only enjoyable but memorable for you. Thank you for mentioning you will reommend the resort. We hope you will return real soon and give us the opportunity to provide you with the excellent service you deserve!
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Fess Parker in March 2014 and it was a wonderful experience! I always read the TripAdvisor reviews prior to staying at any hotel. I also read about all the amenities and costs of a hotel along with viewing the location on Google Maps to see the surrounding area.

The hotel is located adjacent to a train track but the train only runs during the day. It is not bothersome and if you are out enjoying SB (which is why we were there) you won't hear it. Yes, there are rooms that have a mountain (and train) view which are less expensive than the garden/ocean/pool view, but that is common at many hotels. I always request a top floor, preferably an end unit, to avoid having stomping feet above us and only one neighbor. We stayed on the third floor overlooking the garden which also had a wonderful view of the ocean. For those who don't like pool noise - don't book a room near the pool. Such rooms are noisy at any hotel.

Our room was clean, stocked with extras (such as wine, water, etc) that you can pay extra for, but that is also common at most hotels. Our bed was comfortable and the pillows fine. All hotels will bring you another pillow if you prefer one that is softer or firmer than the one on the bed. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and you will find staff working on it constantly. We walked everywhere - to the wharf, harbor and to dinner on Anacapa Street. It is not far for those who like to walk. You can measure the distance on Google Earth. If you don't like the in-room coffee (which I have never liked ANY hotel's in-room coffee) you can go to the Starbucks kiosk they have in the lobby. We didn't eat breakfast or dinner at the hotel, but the breakfast buffet looked good and there is a restaurant and bar on-site. You can read more about those amenities on their website.

The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with - from the front desk, to the housekeeping staff, to the gardening staff, to the valet attendant. I talked with everyone and not one person had a negative attitude.

When we stay at any hotel, I always leave a list of suggestions with the front desk regarding any items that need repair or cleaning. One can also leave suggestions regarding other items. Hotels appreciate this and it helps them to improve their rooms and service for future guests. I do agree that the on-site parking cost should be (at least) reduced and that wifi costs should be free to guests, but that is something the hotel needs to review and decide. Yes, there are other hotels to stay at in Santa Barbara but the costs are going to comparable. Our stay here was pleasant, the location was great and the staff was wonderful! Also, it is a pet-friendly hotel so you will see people with their pets walking around the grounds and in the lobby.

Room Tip: Stay on third floor overlooking the garden
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have stayed at the Fess Parker 3 times for 2 nights each in the last 6 years. These were business trips so I cannot address financial matters. My review is unbiased because of this. I love this hotel because it is one of the handful of hotels that is actually CLEAN. All of the staff are genuinely polite and happy. The beds are to die for. The quality of the food is above average, & prepared well. There is history here, with attention to detail in design. The train goes by once daily, and is addressed in your room info. Certainly not a deal breaker. Many rooms have ocean vistas, as does the lobby, bar tables, & restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review of your most recent stay at our resort. We are pleased to know you enjoyed the amentities, our beautiful setting and location, the history and service. I'm sure our Tripadvisor readers will appreciate the detailed information you provided. We greatly value your business and look forward to serving you again.