“Business and pleasure trip”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Chicago, United States
“Business and pleasure trip”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This Hotel is the worst Double Tree I have ever stayed at in all my years of travel. I had to call three time to get the reservation straight and then I had to be transferred to a manager and even after that I still had problems to resolve during my stay in regards to the booking and the number of days I would be staying. I had an 8 day stay of business on the front end and pleasure on the back. The location is wonderful, directly across the street for the pacific ocean but you can lower your voice after that. The hotel is run down and in need of a complete remodel. we asked to be put in a quite room and they gave us a room over the main pass thru overlooking the pool across from the ice machine. We arrived very late, midnight and were exhausted so we didn't realize the terrible selection we were given until the following morning. We were moved to another room that was quite be we now looked at a brick wall when sitting on the lanai. When house keeping came everyday they would bring new towels, shampoo, make the bed etc but never picked up any of the used towels unless they were in the bathroom. The room had a couple pieces of plastic on the floor when we arrived and the were still there when we left so I am pretty sure a vacuum never saw this room. The carpet throughout the hotel is pretty nasty, so of the carpet in the stairwells smell and are badly stained. Overall the location of the hotel is wonderful. the people working in this hotel for the most part were very nice but the place is in desperate need of a gut job.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Ann H
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Ann,

Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially about areas where we can do better. We are sorry that we couldn’t supply you with a room that met your expectation. Our front desk department goes through a detailed process every day to make sure that our guests receive exactly the room they expect. I apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered and will improve on our carpet situation. Once again, we’re sorry for the inconvenience and hope that the next time you travel to the area you’ll stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We spent one night in SB from LA for a quick family getaway/zoo visit. The property is nice and our room was very spacious but pretty uninspiring/outdated (perhaps they did upgrades to other rooms/other sections of the hotel?) I would've added an extra star if there was a better value (we paid $325 on hotwire, rack rate was $500), but for just one night it wasn't worth it - we would've rather stayed at our old standard Santa Barbara Hotel or something off of State St for half the price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here for a weekend before going to Kauai. Perfect in everyway. Easy enjoyable drive from LAX or Burbank.Hotel Location was absolutly the best, you can walk to the pier, beach right across the street, exlpore State Street or catch a bus right out front for 50cents. Trolley city tour stops right at the hotel. Beautiful room with ocean view. I looked at prior reviews before staying here. Yes the Amtrak train is close by but not a noise issue, pool was very nice and plenty big enough...Staff could not have been nicer and knowledgable about the area.Patio right in front with fire pits for cool nights. Beautiful lobby and outdoor area....will stay here again in a minute..even though they charged me 19.00 a day for over parking...

Room Tip: pay the extra 15.00 for a bigger room it is worth it. Front of building location provides a beach vi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was only our second time coming to Santa Barbara, and our second time staying at the Fess Parker. I just wish we could have stayed a little longer this time. I am a Hilton rewards member, so I do get a little different treatment, but then again, there is no reason you shouldn't be one too...

My girl decided to surprise me and get me tickets to see New Politics in Santa Barbara(later review), so I decided to surprise her and get the hotel room. We both were happy with the outcome.

The concierges here are top notch. They ask you what you need every step of the way. I told them we were checking in, they told me leave the car, they would take care of it. They grabbed our luggage, took it to the room, and even had a cab ready for us, when it was time to leave for the show. The only thing someone messed up on, was I ordered my girl chocolate covered strawberries, that were supposed to be delivered before we got there, they finally brought them to us at 1am when we got home from the show, but they were perfect at that time.(I also got her a tin of cookies.)If you have never had double tree cookies, find one, check in for the night, ask for 2 cookies, and you will be addicted, yes addicted. (What's with me and cookies lately?)

We walked up to the front desk, and the lady working was as nice as could be, and they were busy. She checked us in, told me they had everything on file, and just needed to run my card through. She asked if there was anything special we needed, or forgot, then asked if we needed cookies, and water, we said yes please. She gave us 2 cookies, and 2 bottles of water, ice cold I might add, and we were off to our room.

I didn't know what to expect since they were sold out, and only had 2 queen bed rooms left, but when we opened the door, it was like walking into heaven. The patio door was open, so there was a beautiful ocean breeze that came in. We walked over and looked out and saw the sun, sort of setting over the ocean. It was a very beautiful and romantic sight, especially since we haven't been away together in a very long time.

Huge bathroom, huge bathtub, big shower, and an extra sink, outside of the bathroom so someone can brush their teeth, or wash there hands, if the restroom is occupied. They also have a huge closet, and add extra pillows, and toilet paper, in case you run out, I guess. The beds are very comfortable, and the pillows feel like the form fit pillows that mold to you. They have a heater and AC unit that works better than you could imagine, but there is no need for AC with that breeze. There is a huge flat screen TV and they have a lot of channels plus HBO.(Do you really go to Santa Barbara, kidless, to watch TV? I don't think so!!!) Hilton members get free Wi-Fi, but then again, do we need internet?

Fess Parker owns their own winery, so they offer a bottle of Red Wine and a bottle of White Wine, no name, just red and white. $30 per bottle. They also have huge bottles of water in the room, that look like 1 gallon bottles, but they are $7.(We got 2 little bottles at check in, and they will give you more if you need) Down stairs in the lobby, they have a wine tasting tour, but we have yet to take advantage of that either time we stayed here. (Next time baby, I swear)

They have a huge breakfast buffet spread. (Think Las Vegas, with just a lot better and fresher taste.) They have omelets, waffles, pastries, cereal, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, croissants, oatmeal, and fresh juices.(They might have more, I just don't remember, we went elsewhere for breakfast.)(That's another review too)

At the end of our one day here, we have to say, we absolutely loved it. They have a huge pool. and Jacuzzi, and a great bar as well. There is so much to do in Santa Barbara, I am just glad we have a place like this that we can come back to and just relax. Thank you Fess Parker, you made our Valentine's Day weekend(Day Away) that much more special. Give it a try, and make some memories of your own...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam P
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
We thank you for selecting our resort for your getaway to Santa Barbara! What a wonderful review. The details you provided will be so helpful to our Tripadvisor family and our team members will be delighted to read your very kind compliments about the service they provided while you were here. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the resort and Santa Barbara!
uk
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here during our west coast trip as a stop off before hitting LA, we booked it with Hilton honour points so it was excellent value.

We did not regret our decision, the hotel is nicely positioned next to the coast road and fairly easy to ind although the signage could do with being larger. Check I was painless and we were given a nice cookie at check in.

We were in he Bougainville building on the second floor, you can drive round and we left our car near the entry door in the huge free car park.

First impressions were ok, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable and huge, we had a balcony and we could see the sea from our room. The bathroom however although functional could probably do with a refresh. The bath panel was a little worn. The shower was ok and toiletries were provided.

The room was peaceful with the exception of the Amtrak trains using the adjacent tracks, the horn could wake the dead so why do they feel the need to blast the horn through town at 2am?? No fault of the hotel, but be warned.

We used the pool area which is very nice, towels are provided free for guests.

We were charged for breakfast in our rate, we opted for the 24$ pp buffet which was very good, plenty of choice and good quality,

Overall, we led the doubletree and would recommend it if you're staying in Santa Barbera.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel was in a nice location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We were welcomed with fresh baked cookies. The restaurant at the hotel was pretty good as well. The pool area was very inviting.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This place is in an amazing location. The hotel itself is a little dated. We had a broken dresser drawer and then had to move rooms because the AC was broken. Ended up with a smaller room. We were only there for a night, so didn't make much fuss. The pool bar wasn't open which was annoying. But overall the grounds, the staff and the amenities were good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family