I was contacted by the hotel after a recent stay to write a review. It was long, detailed and constructive in its criticism, but apparently the powers that be at TripAdvisor decided that it didn’t meet some unspecified criteria for reviews, so I'll make this short. Our room was $750 a night. Since we were attending a wedding at the hotel, and were in the wedding party, we really had no choice but to stay here. Apparently all you're paying for is the location, because I really couldn’t see anything else about the place to justify the price. The room was dirty and smelled like old burritos. The bathroom had no fan and smelled of mold. The beds couldn’t have cost more than $200 when they were purchased a decade ago. The pool was crowded with drunks. The staff was polite but uninterested. When I tried to figure out how to turn on the light in the room, I found a pair of children's underwear inside the lampshade (which might help to explain the smell). There is nowhere to park near the hotel overnight, and the parking lot costs an additional $17 a night. The air conditioning barely worked. There was no free internet in the room and the internet in the lobby was spotty. There was only one lamp with an outlet in it, which was on the desk, on the other side of the room from the beds. There was no overnight suit pressing service (inconvenient when you're from out of town and attending a wedding) and no shoeshine service at all. The room keys all stopped working after being used once. The door to our room wouldn’t open when we got back from the wedding at 2am and a passing security guard showed us that we had to slam on it to open it.
If this all sounds like whining, keep in mind that the cost of the room was $750 a night. For that price, it seems reasonable to expect a clean and secure room with basic features like a bathroom fan and underwear free lighting. It also seems reasonable that with no parking in the area, the hotel would provide free parking. All in all, this hotel is badly in need of some updating in order to justify its rates.
I hope this review gets published. I have absolutely no idea why my first review didn’t - there was no bad language or anything like that in it - but after the experience we had at this hotel, I think it's important that potential guests (and the management) are aware of the kind of experience this hotel provides. If the purpose of this website is to help travelers make informed decisions about their options, then it would seem counterproductive to censor honest reviews - especially negative ones.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort is steps from the beach and convenient to Santa Barbara's waterfront and downtown. Oversized rooms all feature balconies or patios; families and pets are warmly welcomed. Amenities include a year round heated Olympic sized pool, Spa, fitness center, salon, tennis courts, bike rentals, putting green, shuffle board, weekend wine tasting, 2 restaurants, ocean-view bar and 24 acres of grounds. Complimentary airport/Amtrak shuttle service available daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fess Parker`s Doubletree Hotel Santa Barbara
- Doubletree Santa Barbara
- Doubletree Fess Parkers
- Fess Parkers Doubletree Resort