“Our tour of south west USA”

The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a massive hotel all rooms are in single storey blocks spread over acres of well appointed gardens, and swimming pool. A walk across the road and your on the beach, a 15 walk will take you to the famous pier, or the shops. The hotel room and bathroom were well appointed and very clean. We only had a bar snack of clam chowder, in the evening, it was to die for. Breakfast was just as good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for including us in your tour of the South West USA! We are very pleased to know you enjoyed our convenienct location, service and guestrooms. We appreciate your business very much and hope we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here for one night on our California tour group. Lovely spacious room overlooking the gardens. Clean and well presented. Staff very helpful. We ate in the bar in the evening and had their wonderful chowder. Breakfast was a little pricey but very good. 15 minute walk to the lovely pier and a little longer to the town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Beautiful on the outside some repairs on the bathrooms needed to be done. Wefi on a hotel like this should be free, disapointed in that. I stayed in a hoted the previous night in Palm Springs had a free, not so good, breakface and free WiFi. $89

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I left a very important piece of small luggage and called about a month later and Darren from Security not only found the luggage for me through inventory but made sure he had it in his physical possesion to make sure. He then offered to ship it to me! I am very pleased that it was still there and it was handled very professionally. Kudos to housekeeper who turned it in to Lost and Found! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! p.s. the fresh cookies and water at front desk was a very nice welcome touch to guests!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was working my way up California - San Diego to San Francisco. This is a great location, stayed memorial weekend, so was an expensive rate. The staff are friendly but everything costs extra on top of the expensive rate. Hotel charges for parking and internet etc. The average tasting food it top money.

Arrived at 2.00pm, but no room was available but they offered to ring me on a US cell phone (Why is it Californian Hotels won't call me on my UK phone? - They are an international business dealing with tourists and you can use Skype for a few cents a minute to call internationally!) . Anyway room was available within 20 minutes, it was ordinary, bit dark and has seen better days. I stay at a lot of hotels, so notice tired decor perhaps more than most. Mini bar was locked, I would have thought a fridge for own use at a beach resort would have been useful, even a microwave maybe.

The air con had a mind of its own, would switch off by itself. Turns out it has a sensor that turns it off after an hour(mine was only 10 mins). However, friendly staff arranged for a engineer to call me, he talked me through pushing a few buttons to bypass the sensor so it ran until I turned it off. Not sure what happens on hot nights without the bypass, I guess you have to get up and dance it front of it every hour. I would recommend getting them to bypass it from the start.

However, room does have a patio and patio door, mine overlooked the car park - but at least it was fresh air on a cool evening.

They have a great note in the room about the property being used as a train yard in olden days. They say its a fond reminder when modern trains go by with their whistle blowing. HA HA - I fell out of bed with a start when I heard it, its very loud!! Don't bother going to sleep until after the last train. To be fair you can hear the trains all over the town, so other hotels must be affected.

Now being a holiday weekend you would expect the hotel to have all its restaurants open. In fact only the bar was open Sunday evening. It offers a similar menu to the room service menu. Although oddly, room service offers slightly more choice. I tried to get a pizza in the bar, but this is room service only. Funny the bar seems to be served by a kitchen that requires the food to be walked across the lobby. I assume the same kitchen is doing room service. I guess they enjoy the extra charges for room service. I was refused the pizza at the bar, most hotels will allow you to eat anything from the room service menu anywhere in the hotel.

The next day I went walking and the wharf and town centre are 15 minutes away. They are both lovely and offer many fantastic restaurants - I guess the hotel have given up competing. So my advice, don't eat at the hotel - walk to town or the wharf.

The hotel does have a coin op laundry - great for a family or anyone on a road trip.

The pool area on Sunday was horrid, to busy with lots and lots of very noisy children, not controlled by their parents. I went to the beach which is a few steps across the road and is FAB. The next day the pool was much nicer, although was invaded by one family who were so noisy - parents and children. For these type of guests can I remind you, there is no need to shout all the time, the rest of us are reading, sleeping and relaxing. Children will get over excited by the pool and this is acceptable, but parents discussing who is picking who up next week by shouting across the pool, while a number of other couples and families are sun bathing - really!

So to sum up - For a person who stays at dozens of hotels each year, this is just OK. The fantastic Santa Barbara is worthy of better from Hilton

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MartynSurrey
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This overpriced hotel only has one thing going, the beach. It seems like in Santa Barbara they feel like they can charge a lot, and only deliver mediocre service. We left a charger in the room, brand new, had not even paid for it. We called and they said they would get back in 72 hours. We never heard a word. What is this?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

We sincerely apologize that you haven’t received word back from us about your charger. Thank you for letting us know about the situation and we have followed up with our housekeeping department. Please feel free to reach out to me personally if your situation has not been resolved. Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Matthew La Vine

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Hotel was good for Mother's Day Weekend.. However we were surprised the pool bar wasn't open on Sunday... Had to walk around into the Lobby Bar to get drinks, which was a bit weird, especially for the ladies in swimsuits....The buffet was overpriced on Monday morning and would not recommend...Stay for the location, the outdoor patio and ocean access, but dine downtown or hit wine country.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple