The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Blue Sands Inn(Santa Barbara)
View Hotel
Santa Barbara Inn(Santa Barbara)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Pacific Crest Hotel(Santa Barbara)
  • Pool
Inn At East Beach(Santa Barbara)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Californian(Santa Barbara)
  • Pool
Harbor View Inn(Santa Barbara)
3,505 results
All reviewsacross the streetocean viewdouble treebreakfast buffetwarm cookiestennis courtsstate streetnice propertybeautiful groundsmain buildingrooms are largenice poolwine tastingroad tripconferencepatiopier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2014

In June of this year (2014) I had the opportunity to escape from my busy schedule to Santa Barabara, where I booked my stay at the Double Tree. Facing the ocean, one can both appreciate the beauty of the waves from afar as well as appreciate the comings and goings of the area by the couples strolling by, the exercise enthusiasts running past and the occasional loner such as myself, reflecting on a bench or on the beach.

The arrival to the hotel was uneventful. The Valet was polite, helpful and reassuring that he was not after the "great tip"... So I gave him one :)

Front desk was as expected from a hotel of this supposedly caliber. Professional, helpful and prompt. Once the keys are turned over, their job is complete.

Here are some of observations for my particular trip. I was booked in an Oceanfront a distance away. Thus, had I wanted to (which I didn't) park my own car, take my own luggage, the distance would have been uncomfortable. One is virtually forced to use the bell hop to assist. Now for your lucky ladies that have a wonderful, helpful husband... remember to say thank you.

The grounds are well kept, and barren. That is, with the exception of the Ocean front rooms. Not all, but some such as mine, lacked shrubbery to cover the dirt patch on the patio. Unsightly to say the least. The Patio furniture was dusty and saw better days, years ago.

The room: Clean, spacious and comfortable. My suite had a comfortable clean King bed, a distance from the television, had I been so inclined to use it. I opted for my Ipad, which as closer.

The Bathroom was simple, clean without any effort to luxury. A Soap. A shampoo. A condition. There was no toiletry kit as one would expect when charging the prices that an Ocean front room charges. Towels were abundant and clean. No vermin, spiders or otherwise. I did however feel that I was at a facility that was definitely penny pinching.

The room service was not too bad. The Cesar was edible although they do not toss it and as such, a mess is made when attempted.

All in all, I will not stay at the hotel again. Trying to play a big boys game and failing miserable is a disservice to the customer. Luxury should stand for luxury. Basic for basic. This is most definitely a clean, basic hotel. Nothing more.

Room Tip: This is difficult since what I considered a good room was very disappointing. Good luck. Stay away from rooms that face the pool. If families are there with children, it could get a little busy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Let's start with what is good-- the Fess Parker is a lovely old hotel that is well-maintained and in a great location across from the beach. The rooms are nicely decorated and spacious and the beds are very comfortable. Now to what could be SO much better! There is no refrigerator in the room, except as a locked mini-bar that you don't even want to touch. There is no fan in the bathroom-- enough said. The towels are scratchy, parking is expensive ($19 a day to have a car--really?), there is no free breakfast of any kind, and you PAY for wi-fi when the rates at the hotel are already expensive. I realize that we are paying for the lovely ambience of bygone times, but Fess Parker, in order to get this traveler back, you need to offer MORE!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

First, thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for your very kind compliments regarding the resort and your guestroom. However, we are very sorry you were not aware of the parking and internet fees prior to arrival. If your plans include a return trip to Santa Barbara and you would like to give us another chance, our reservations team would be happy to provide information about packages and discounts that might be available plus arrange for a refrigerator in your guestroom. We appreciate the feedback very much.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Good things: location....oh that's it.
Issues: 1- air conditioning unit is so loud you have to turn it off just to sleep. 2- thought we would sit by the firepits after dinner but only one works! 3- part of wedding party but only given rate for one of the two nights.
Bottom line - a lot of money for not a lot.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Kcorn16
Reviewed 26 June 2014

As long as you book on-line, this is a nice hotel to stay at when in Santa Barbara. I normally would book on-line, but I was attending a conference and was told that to get the conference rate, I had to call in the reservation. When I called the hotel directly, the telephone menu option for reservations obviously sends you to a central reservation center (it sounded like it was in India). When I asked for the booking code for my conference I was told it was only available for one night even though I knew several others had received the special rate for all three nights. I was told the other two nights would be at the “normal” rate of $407 a night. I booked the one night and after three separate calls to the reservation center, I still had made no progress on booking the additional nights. None of the three representatives I spoke with were at all helpful and gave the definite impression they didn’t care if you booked or not. (Several of the other conference participants experienced the same attitude) The last representative I spoke with was so rude I cancelled my reservation and began looking for a new hotel. On a chance, I tried the Doubletree web-site and found that the “normal” rate was $160 less than what I was being quoted and I found a rate that was one dollar less than the “special” conference rate and was available for all three nights.
Check-in was smooth and it was easy to find the room. The room was clean, large and nicely furnished. There was a good balcony with comfortable chairs and a small table. The bed is in need of replacement as it was getting lumpy. The couch was comfortable and there was a large flat screen TV. The room was generally quiet. One issue was that staff rarely picks up dirty dishes in the hallway. There was a plate of dirty breakfast dishes from the people that had our room before us that sat outside our door for two days. We notice other stacks of dishes left in the hallway for long periods during our stay.
If you don’t mind walking, the hotel is close enough to many of the sites/attractions. It is across from the beach. There is a small shuttle bus that for fifty cents will take you to the main downtown area. Overall, we would return to the Fess Parker Doubletree when we return to Santa Barbara. (but we will book on-line)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

I sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience you experienced during the reservation process. There is just no excuse for the way your reservation request was handled and I intend to share your concerns with our corporate office and resort management team. Thank you for giving us the chance to serve you and for the positive comments about your experience in spite of these issues. Your feedback is very valuable as we strive to improve the service for our guests.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed here with my sister and my 8 year old daughter and we had a wonderful time. The resort is lovely, located right across the street from the beach and has a wonderful pool. It was so quiet in our room, I never realized that we had neighbors until I saw towels on the patio! The dining is great, we had room service one evening and it was quick and delicious. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family