“Great stay”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Arizona
“Great stay”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Inn after laboriously trying to pick the perfect hotel without spending a fortune. This hit the mark. Fantastic location on the oceanfront and State. We settled for a standards room to save cost and we were very pleased. They said it had "no view" but we disagreed. It had a lovely mountain view from our private patio. The staff was pleasant and helpful. We had stated on the reservation it was our Anniversary and within minutes of getting into our room the sent up complimentary champagne.
We had Happy Hour at the onsite restaurant and it was very good and the drinks a bargain.
Right next door is a bike rental place and you can ride right there on the oceanfront bike path.
The grounds are lovely and very we'll maintained. My daughter had a facial and loved it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jw1984

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
detroit
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

My fiance and I stayed here recently and it was fantastic! We even booked an extra night and they upgraded us to the ocean view suite for a very good price! It's in a great spot close to downtown and all the good restaurants. The staff was very accommodating to us and treated us extra special because my fiancé proposed on the beach. They hooked us up with champagne and glasses to celebrate the occasion! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank catherine029
Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Harbor View Inn was very nice, but for the price, I wanted to feel more pampered. The whole experience from check in to check out felt vaguely motel-like, not 3- or 4-star hotel. The staff was nice but not particularly well trained. For example, while the gentleman checking people in was busy with the people in front of us, another lady walked out of the office and looked around at the people in line, but didn't acknowledge us in any way or offer assistance. I said to her, we are checking in, but she just told us to wait and then walked away. The young lady who did then check us in did not know the location of a nearby popular tourist spot. We were not offered any assistance with our bags. Our room was not ready and we were told we'd receive a call when it was, but we never did. Everyone we encountered gave the impression they were doing the job because it was available and not out of any interest in the hospitality industry. My boyfriend said of the staff, "No one seems like they are having a fun or going out of their way for us. It's like the difference between flying Southwest and USAir."

In the room, there were not nearly enough towels. Only one washcloth and hand towel, two bath towels. We didn't have time to call for more, so we grabbed a few towels from the gym as we walked by. There was a mini bar fridge, but it was locked and we were not given or offered a key for it.

The pool towels were thin and worn. The pool itself was in dire need of a skim -- I wanted to get in but only put my feet in. There was no attendant and there were dirty towels lying around from earlier in the day.

On the plus side, we were offered an upgrade to ocean front for $20 and we took it. The room was very nice -- no complaints about the cleanliness or comfort. The balcony was large and the chaises were comfortable. The bathroom was newly remodeled. The bathtub was huge and modern, but the shower was tiny and dark -- I would vastly prefer a large shower.

We considered staying another night to enjoy the view and the local scene, but finally decided that the Harbor View Inn was not giving us the value for dollar to make it worthwhile. The staff wasn't willing to give us the same price for the following night, even though it was still a weeknight. We've stayed at the Spanish Garden Inn and I would rank the comfort and cleanliness as equal, but the Spanish Garden Inn makes you feel pampered the minute you walk in and parking and breakfast are included. My impression was that the Harbor View Inn feels they don't have to try very hard due to their amazing location.

Room Tip: The ocean view room was wonderful, if you can get it at a good price. I was afraid it would be loud...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank redheada1
La Jolla, Ca.
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Spent two nights here in early April. Found the property through TA but still wasn't really sure.
There's always that moment of angst when you pull up to a location you are unfamiliar with.
My angst latest about 2 seconds. Pleasant lobby and friendly people at check in.
Hotel is right across the street from the ocean at the foot of State st ( the main drag) in SB.
It is across the street from the SB Wharf which made for a pleasant post arrival walk.

The hotel is comprised of three buildings. We were in the North building which is the newest.
There is a seepage garage entrance and each room has an assigned parking space ( I really liked this feature. There is also a small bridge connecting the north building to the main hotel over a narrow water channel.

Our room and our building were extremely modern and clean. It was nice and quiet as well.
Beds, bathroom, furnishings, TV, patio all were much nicer than expected. the hotel wasn't cheap but it was 100's less than the Kimptin ( my original idea for a place to stay). Only thing weird was the shower was handicap accessible ( no big deal in itself) and water sprayed all over the floor outside the shower because there was no shield to stop it.

Many shops and restaurants accessible on foot. SB has great public parking as well so anywhere to far to walk wasn't a nightmare as public parking seemed ample and reasonably priced.

Had a really great dinner at The Lark. Just a few short blocks away in the "Funk Zone".
Many terrific places for breakfast to walk to also ( we found them all on Yelp).

Overall, based on location, price,and amenities I had an extremely favorable impression of the Harbor View Inn. I recommend it without hesitation and would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anrmd
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great hotel sitting across road from the beach. We used the hotel for 2 nights on our trip from San Francisco to LA on highway 1. We where greeted by friendly staff in the parking lot and reception. We had booked a basic no view room so didn't expect much, the room was massive,huge bed, sofa and chairs and small patio outside could not fault the room. Big plus for us free wifi. We used the pool once it was great nice and clean and towels provided at pool. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trevor M
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We loved our stay at the hotel. The staff was wonderful and the facility was spotless. I would highly recommend the spa. The location was very central and perfect. We would definitely come back and would highly recommend it to all.

Room Tip: We had a water view which was great. I would only get a direct or partial water view.
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Rude receptionist answered phone on 4/30/14 at 3:00 pm. Continually spoke over me, was not at all helpful. Quoted a room and when I asked if it was an ocean view, she put my call on hold for 10 minutes (no kidding)! I hung up, called back. Then was told in such a condescending way "yes, this is our check-in time, we're busy" and put my call on hold again! How about, I'm sorry, may I take your number and call you back shortly? Or really any response that somehow resembled hospitality? This may be a nice hotel, but I won't be staying there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends