“Great hotel for cost and great staff”
Review of Sandpiper Lodge

Sandpiper Lodge
Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
San Diego, California
“Great hotel for cost and great staff”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The staff was very accommodating when we wanted to extend our stay. Semehi and Shawn were awesome! The pool was nice and the hot tub was great and much needed after running around all day around town. We had a great stay. I'm not sure why anyone would rate this place less than a four. Sure you can pay an arm and a leg and stay by the beach but why? And they are close to lots of places to eat within walking distance. We will be back!

Room Tip: No elevator but only two stories. You can request a bottom floor if you book in advance.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Sandpiper Lodge, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I am very pleased to read your review, Thank-you for the positive comments. The staff also reads all review and they are happy when they get good reviews. Right now as I type this we are finishing the ground work for a new elevator as well as a new larger breakfast room with an expanded menu to include hot items so by late spring we will be a greatly improved property. I hope you will be back, Thank-you again for taking the time to write a review. Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I spent 10 days at the Sandpiper Lodge while we were in Santa Barbara visiting family during the Christmas holidays. We had stayed at the Sandpiper once before so we knew that we would likely be just as satisfied the second time as we were the first.
Our room was clean, comfortable, and well stocked with the things we needed for the longer stay. Our beds were made up daily and towels and toiletries were restocked. We had no difficulty with the wi-fi in our room, the t.v. worked well, as did the refrigerator, hair dryer, etc.
The breakfast was adequate for our needs and the service from desk clerks and rest of the staff were helpful, pleasant, and very accommodating. The location was perfect for us...close to our family and close to shopping and restaurants. We will definitely go back to the Sandpiper when we return to Santa Barbara!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 December 2013

They claim to have free internet for guests but they don't really have any internet at all. I had to phone to the front desk four separate times before they finally told me that I was just going to have to deal with not having internet access. They told me that they had no one to call because they were closed. Did not offer any sort of restitution or accommodation. I will not be staying here again.
Rooms are paper thin - constant noise from above and all around.
Soap bar in the shower looks like it was wrapped in plastic wrap after having been used previously. Covered in dirt and not sealed.

Room Tip: Don't expect any internet or any one to help get you connected.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trevor B
Mark R, General Manager at Sandpiper Lodge, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
I am very sorry that not only did our internet not work for you but we did not provide an alternate to help you. Our provider Cox was scheduled to upgrade our system weeks ago but they have not completed the cabling that is needed, we should have offered to help you by using our business center or front desk system. Our housekeeping does a very good job 99% of the time so the soap issue is disappointing to hear.I know you said you would not return I hope you will give us another try. I have been told by Cox that the upgrade will be done soon. Thank-you very much for letting us know about our short comings during you stay. Thank-you for staying with us. Mark

Travellers are raving about these Santa Barbara hotels

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I was a bit worried staying at this hotel after some of the reviews I read , but I loved it I found the room clean and comfortable I found the staff really nice and very helpful, breakfast was included not a great selection but enough for me, free parking a plus. The price was great, location was great minutes to shops and places to eat and only a short easy drive to the main drag with lot more shops and restaurants.
I would stay again with no worries.
There was also pool but we never used it as only on a one night stop.
The lobby had free coffee all day .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank markledwidge
Vista, California
Reviewed 27 December 2013

They treated my wife and I like Royalty. The rooms are very nice and reasonably priced and that's sayin' something for Santa Barbara, where everything seems to be more expensive. Easy drive to Solvang and just an all round great place to stay. The continental breakfast was good and the coffee is remarkable. If you are staying over night in Santa Barbara, this is the place to stay. Thanks Graeme and Tom!! Bob and Tere from Vista CA!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chicagobob12
Victoria, British Columbia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a very special hotel. The price is very good for what you recieve. Excellant location. Very nice rooms and nice staff. The maids are honest as well and keep the rooms clean. The hotel even has a pool and small work out room. The lobby always has coffee all day. The staff will go out of their way to help you. My mother needed an extra table and Graeme who is always so wonderful got that for her. My Mother always comes to this hotel and so will I when visiiting Santa Barbara. There are many nice shops, the mall and restaurants within easy walking distance. Also a grocery store. The hotel rooms have a fridge and microwave. I reccomend this hotel.

2 Thank luccidream
San Jose, California
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We been coming to the Sandpiper for the last 10 years twice a year and find the Sandpiper to be the best motel to fit our needs. Great location for us, reasonable price, complementary breakfast and friendly staff. I recommend the Sandpiper Lodge to my friends.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family