“Ok, but needs some updating”
Review of Sandpiper Lodge

Sandpiper Lodge
Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, California
“Ok, but needs some updating”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Hotels in Santa Barbara are overpriced, so the options are limited if you don't want to pay ridiculous prices. This place is ok for a short stay. The rooms are old and need to be updated; the bathroom walls were rather gross with all the dirt on them. The wireless is not good at all --- they have a bunch of access points, all of which must be located in the same far away location, as they were all giving me a "fair" connection on my laptop that kept dropping and disconnecting me. (Those with an iPad probably wouldn't be able to connect at all if they were in the same area of the hotel I was.) The pillows are hard and mattresses are old; you can almost feel the springs as you move around, so I found it hard to sleep well. It appears they're remodeling the public areas of the hotel --- or maybe the exterior. I'd suggest updating the rooms instead --- starting with the pillow and mattresses.

The maid service was also rather strange. My first day there, the maid replaced all my used towels, except for the washcloths; she took away the used ones, but didn't give me any new washcloths. Then on day two, she did the same, leaving me with no washcloths --- but did, in fact, replace every other type of towel, including the bathmats. Maybe there was a washcloth shortage.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the first floor. All rooms are directly by the parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Magherafelt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for one night in September 2013 on our road trip down the West Coast. The Sandpiper had been recommended to us and I'm glad we chose to stay here. We hadn't pre booked a room, instead drove in and asked if they had any rooms free and luckily got the last room! The reception staff were all very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. The room was very spacious and tastefully decorated and had everything we needed. The en suite bathroom was also kept very clean. The car parking facilities were great and we got a space close to our room which was a bonus. The pool and Jacuzzi were also very welcome after a long drive down the coast from Monterey and the general atmosphere was very relaxing. There was a continental breakfast in the morning and there was plenty of choice. All in all, we both really enjoyed our night in the Sandpiper and we both agree that it was one of the best places we stayed in along the coast. We're just sorry we didn't have more time to spend in this lovely hotel in beautiful Santa Barbara!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chartley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We needed a place to crash in Santa Barbara and we didn't need or want fancy. We got a two room suite with two queens and one king that absorbed our family of five quite nicely. The rate was very low especially because it offered free parking and a decent continental breakfast.

My high rating is for value not luxury.

Despite the State Street address be advised that it is 2 or 3 miles from the action of downtown. About a 5-10 minute drive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was the best stay of my life! Delicious! The rooms were immaculate and Victor and Semehi were very attentive to my every need. I love wifi and really need it and they provided it for me! I also love tacos and they let me know where the best taco place in town was! Thank you Victor and Semehi and the rest of the Sandpiper staff!

Room Tip: The rooms in the front have the best wifi and they are also closer to Victor and Semehi ;)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank WifiWifiWifi A
Bridgton, Maine
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at the Sandpiper Lodge recently and wished we had had more time to enjoy its hospitality, cleanliness and comfort. As former owners of a country Inn, we took notice of subtle as well as obvious details. It was our good fortune to book with this fine example of Santa Barbara's loveliness, and will be more than happy to share the news with our friends.

Room Tip: Our room was spacious and immaculate...as I assume each was.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Good location and nice amenties such as heated pool, spa and fitness gym. Rooms are clean, pretty big and comfortable. The only disappointing point was the wifi internet. We only stayed 1 night and they said the wifi was down and they couldn't fix the problem for the moment.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lonetraveller92
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The staff was very accommodating when we wanted to extend our stay. Semehi and Shawn were awesome! The pool was nice and the hot tub was great and much needed after running around all day around town. We had a great stay. I'm not sure why anyone would rate this place less than a four. Sure you can pay an arm and a leg and stay by the beach but why? And they are close to lots of places to eat within walking distance. We will be back!

Room Tip: No elevator but only two stories. You can request a bottom floor if you book in advance.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Sandpiper Lodge, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I am very pleased to read your review, Thank-you for the positive comments. The staff also reads all review and they are happy when they get good reviews. Right now as I type this we are finishing the ground work for a new elevator as well as a new larger breakfast room with an expanded menu to include hot items so by late spring we will be a greatly improved property. I hope you will be back, Thank-you again for taking the time to write a review. Mark