“Top Drawer Property and Location”

Castillo Inn at the Beach
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The inn is located about two blocks off the 101 expressway and one block from Santa Barbara's marina and beaches so that I feel you couldn't get a much better location. Our room was very clean and, I felt, had better furnishings and amenities than are normally found in lodging of its type.

There are newer reviews for Castillo Inn at the Beach

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I am so pleased I found this gem. I enjoy staying in different rooms each time. So far no favorites although the two bedroom suite is stunning and so much room at a great price off season.Rooms are spotless with so much attention to detail. The pulls and knobs are brass. There is a fridge in each room. There is a water purifier for fresh from the tap. The manager Dan is like an old friend when he greats you over the phone and in person. You are literally around one corner from the beach. Quiet Quiet can't say enough good about this one.If you are looking for a full service hotel select another. If you are looking for a small motel that has been updated and polished try it. You wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Try them all !
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Excellent location, very helpful staff, easy parking. Our room (#28 upstairs) was large, quiet, very well appointed and tasteful. The ensuite was stone tiled and good quality. As a value for money proposition, it is hard to beat. Would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Just simple a great place to stay hands down this was my first time staying at Castillo Inn, it was just over the shoulders with their customer service and the room was up to par. I was in town for a Santa Barbara City College golf outing. I had drove in from Dallas, Texas it was almost like sleeping at home. So nice. Calvin

Room Tip: The Castillo Inn is in a great location if you try it one time you will be sold for a lifetime.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We have nothing but positive things to say about the accommodations...roomy, clean, comfortable, terrific location, easy check in and check out, terrific value! Really a "boutique" like feel. Parking is convenient...but a bit tight. Continental breakfast is very basic, but there are very good full breakfast options within walking distance. We were only passing through Santa Barbara, so only stayed one night...but after seeing what a lovely town it is, will be back to Santa Barbara in the future, and we will definitely reserve a room here!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This cute little inn is clean, quiet and well run. Efficient, friendly check in/out. Like the pictures, the rooms are updated rooms with a sitting area. The bed and pillows are very comfortable which you can never tell by the pictures. We asked for a room(#21 queen bed) towards the back part so it was quiet. The inn is u-shaped with the central courtyard dedicated to parking. Parking is a bit tight - we were the last guests back after dinner and there was 1 spot left but very tight due to a huge truck next to the spot so the manager kindly let us park in handicap spot as it was not being used that night. Handy location to walk along the wharf and 5 min drive to State St. Excellent value.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My friend and I were slackers trying to find a room in Santa Barbara only 9 days ahead of our trip. A place close to the waterfront was a requirement, but everything already seemed to be booked. I identified 16 possible hotels and was getting more and more discouraged with each phone call. Rooms were scarce enough, but rooms with two queen beds became downright impossible to find and the more places I called, it seemed accommodations were getting further and further away from the waterfront. Finally I called the 13th hotel on my list -- the Castillo Inn. According to the map, it wasn't right on the water front, but a half block away from the beach and marina. I asked for a room with two queens, but was told they didn't have any such rooms. Discouraged. "But I do have a two bedroom suite available those nights," the woman said. At that point I was willing to take anything at any price. I was relieved when she quoted me less than $150/night for the mid-week rate. But at that price how nice could it really be?

We pulled in honestly not expecting too much. We were hoping for a room on the second floor to minimize noise, but when we opened the door to the suite we were both pleasantly surprised! Though not exactly what I'd call "spacious" it was definitely "quaint", smartly utilized all available space, was very cozy and extremely comfortable -- perfect for a family of four! It consisted of a living room with a sofa, chairs, small dining table and flat screen TV. Widows throughout were adorned with large plantation shutters and it was the little decorative extras like that that made a huge difference giving the room a more homey bed and breakfast feel than your average hotel room.

The surprise was the full-sized kitchen with stainless appliances, full-sized fridge, gas stove/oven, microwave, coffee maker, filtered water, blender, toaster, granite counter tops, etc. etc. All dishes, utensils and every conceivable kitchen gadget was included which made the possibility for home-cooked meals a legitimate possibility, though in the end we chose to eat out at some of the finest restaurants the city had to offer.

Bedrooms were a bit small, but more than adequate and again, extremely clean and comfortable: each with it's own wall-mounted air conditioner/heater and flat panel television.

The bathroom was and up-to-date with beautiful fixtures, nice tile, granite counter tops and a window in the shower that provided plenty of natural light. I suppose if I had to find a fault with our whole experience, it would be that it did take a solid 2-3 minutes for the hot water to arrive. So we'd just start the shower a few minutes before we got in -- problem solved.

Other benefits were strong-signaled high-speed WiFi, plenty of cable TV channels and a continental breakfast (basically fruit, muffins, scones, coffee and juice). The manager (and possibly owner?) Dan gave us some excellent recommendations on dining frequented by locals and fewer tourists. The first night we ate at "Toma" (upscale $25+/plate but worth every penny), literally a 50 yard walk around the corner and right across the street from the beach and marina. The place was such a home-run, we asked for recommendations the next two nights and he never disappointed (if you're staying two or more nights, put "Opal" on your list as well).

Overall, we were very happy with our experience. This little hotel had everything: convenience, cleanliness, comfort, great value and in the end it more than exceeded our expectations. As it turned out my friend had stayed at the Best Western next door two years earlier, but after this experience, we've both put the Castillo Inn at the top of our list and look forward to returning again and again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends