“Very smart & fairly priced considering high quality & good location”

Castillo Inn at the Beach
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
London
“Very smart & fairly priced considering high quality & good location”
Reviewed 14 May 2007

We found the Castillo Inn by chance as we were driving past and really loved the one night we stayed there and would have liked to stay longer. The reason we liked it so much: great location, quiet, and fabulous room. The room was very smart, large and stylish with a flat-screen TV, sofa, nice furniture, large bathroom (with bath & shower). This was the most stylish room we stayed in during a 3-week trip to California and it cost us $140 (£72) midweek, which, comparing it to other places we stayed in California, was reasonable. We were allowed to leave the car in their car-park for the whole of the day we were checking out which was perfect. My only gripe was there was no tea! (but there was coffee!)

• Liked — Very smart room & bathroom
  • Disliked — no tea !
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
southern california
Reviewed 12 May 2007

This is a great find. Newly remodeled and very clean. Half a block from the beach and restaurants. Lots of light in the bathroom for doing makeup and hair. Nice desk clerk, quiet,comfortable beds,big TV,and a reasonable rate for area. Lots of free restaurant menus and info magazines.

• Liked — cleanliness and lighting
  • Disliked — decor
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Paso Robles, CA
Reviewed 18 September 2006

Just this weekend my husband and I and our two children stayed one night at the Castillo Inn at the Beach. What a delightful surprise! The exterior is very well kept so we decided to go ahead and check it out. We walked into a beautiful room! I was quite frankly shocked at how cute and "upgraded" everything was. The quilted bed cover, iron beds and decor were something I would decorate my own home with. The bathroom was beautiful. It had a wood door with beautiful hardware, granite countertops, granite shower walls and a sink cabinet that looked like it was custom made. Even the toilet was pretty! Now, the room was a tad small for the four of us but we were there only one night so it was not a problem. I have no idea what the other rooms are like but I can vouch for room 10! We would definitely stay there again. We were able to walk to dinner and breakfast which is a plus on a Friday/Saturday in Santa Barbara. Parking can be kind of tough. It is just a very short walk to Sambo's where we had breakfast - HIGHLY RECOMMEND!! Also, you can be on the beach in 5 minutes. Great location!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Would have been nice to have a suite, with young children.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank bshanson
torrance
Reviewed 9 August 2006

My wife and I drove to Santa Barbara for the day and decided to spend the night. We drove by the CASTILLO INN and saw the vacancy sign so we pulled in. They had just what we needed so we decided to spend the night. It is a very nice Hotel that appeared newly remodled and was very clean. We checked out the next morning and went into town to look around. When we aere getting ready to head home at about 2:00 my wife realized she had left a jacket and skiet hanging in the armoire. We went bad to get it and it had been moved. The desk clerk told us the room attendants were on lunch and would be back at 2;30. We waited for their return and they had taken the clothes off the hangers and stuffed them in a bag and had them on the bottom of their cart. My wife was told , very rudely , by the desk clerk that htis was the way they handled things that were left.When she sadi she would have to take it to the cleaners to press he told her it was not his fault we left them behind. I went in and spoke with him and pretty much got the same treatment. I just thought it was a very rude way to be treated.

• Liked — clean room
  • Disliked — employees attitudes
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away and if you do stay be sure NOT to leave anything behind
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank 1405
Ventura, California
Reviewed 9 August 2006

Our room was nicely done, the beds very comfy and the location is busy, but stays pretty quiet. Management was helpful & pleasant. My only (minor) complaint is that the ice maker is shut off at night (but there are refrigerators in the rooms). We stayed during the annual Fiesta and the inn is right across the street from a park where some of the events were held and 1/2 block to catch the bus to downtown.
It's also an easy, beachside walk to the pier and the harbor.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Ice machine shut off at night
  • Tips/Secrets — Excellent location for Santa Barbara Fiesta
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lazkity
Iowa
Reviewed 1 September 2005

I was trying to get a rate for a room in March of 06. The direct online site of the Castillo Inn said it had specials under March. The rates were very good, but when I plugged in my info the rates changed dramatically. So I emailed them to ask why, and to give me their best rate. No one ever responded. 2 days later, I looked at the website again, and low and behold the "specials" page had changed. No specials for March. So I called. I was first told they never got my email, then that their computers where down. When I said their website had changed pricing, he said, well yes, it was old and he had to update it. So I said "Then you did get my email?", and he said yes and that someone else had called too. So he had lied about the above, and he never bothered to reply to my email at all. Not much customer service here. Wonder what you'd get if you stayed there. When I asked him again for his best rates then in March, he was obviously annoyed, and said to look on the web site! Horrible way to treat a prospective customer that was on the phone trying to book a room. I'm running far away.

Stayed September 2005
6 Thank mp3marie
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 June 2005

Rooms were recently remodeled - very nice! Bathroom was beautiful! 1/2 block from beach - 2 blocks to Stearn Wharf/State Street. Really convenient location and the price was very reasonable! Loved it!

• Stayed June 2005