“Dingy and Dirty”
Review of Villa Rosa Inn

Villa Rosa Inn
Ranked #11 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I booked this hotel and when my husband arrived, his studio room hadn't been cleaned and had a dingy smell. They sent him away for an hour (which was annoying because he had just taken a flight in, and was tired, and it was after 5pm, the room should have been done). I even called around 3pm and asked "Did you clean the room, is it ready for him, can you promise it does not smell bad, he has allergies and sensitivities." She assured me! When he came back to the room after driving around the city, there was a very strong odor, from some cleanser, no air conditioner, and it was still dark and dirty.The young girl at the front desk insisted on charging him for a full night even though he left! How rude and unprofessional. I have never done a review before this one, but I feel the need to warn anyone trying to stay there, while visiting Santa Barbara. He went to the Hotel Oceana, there's no air there either, but it was clean and nice.

Room Tip: Studio apartment, not a good deal. Can't speak for the rest of the hotel though, never saw those...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Suzy C

Reviewed 11 August 2013

If you are looking for a cookie cutter experience, this is not for you. If you like a local vibe, odd collections of art and a low key vibe a block from the beach, can't recommend it enough. We stayed in an apt during our short stay, would totally come back for a long holiday, felt like our own vacation home. Thumbs up on staff too, super sweet gals.

And the happy hour was a nice touch. Thanks Villa Rosa for some nice memories

Room Tip: There was a cute patio on the street (which is quiet). That would be a room to ask about.
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We chose Villa Rosa based on other reviews but let me tell you, the Villa Rosa that we stayed in could NOT have been the same one that was written about! Our room was dingy, dirty, old and overall a waste of our money. I didn't sleep worrying that my husband would touch the blanket and/or get up during the night and walk across the floor bare foot. Even the garden was filthy. The ONLY good thing about the Villa Rosa was the friendliness of the reception staff -- Jessica and Haley. I would change my travel dates if this was the only place available in the future.

Room Tip: Based on what we saw and heard from others, there are no good rooms.
1  Thank Deborah S
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Should have investigated this better - looks like July reviews (and this one I'm leaving) are about another Villa Rosa than prior guests saw - the reviews I read in June are sure different than the hotel I stayed at. The photos that lure you in don't reflect what this place is all about - if I had driven by it before I made the reservation I never would have stayed here. I stayed in Room 3 - the bed was unbelievable uncomfortable - I didn't sleep at all. The room was ok but not $350 a night ok. They set the expectations high with their website and it's downhill disappoint from there on....The bathroom - shower was either scortching hot or cold, the toilet didn't flush and looked like it was the right height if I were about 3 feet tall. The room was musty and dark and the hotel reminded me of a those where you can get "weekly" or "monthly" rates - kind of a transient feeling.. The girl at the front desk when I checked in was really unfriendly - I would think she would bend over backwards to compensate for the crummy rooms but she acted like I was a bother. Same think - different girl - at check out - don't know how this place can get away with it for $350 / night but everything else was booked that weekend in Santa Barbara - should have stayed anywhere else but here - I'll never be back. and shame on me for not checking TripAdvisor !

1  Thank Diana C
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Lured by the great looking online photos, check in was not as anticipated. Room was dark, dingy, very small & reeked of bleach. It was also 3pm, check in time & the bed had not been changed/made up. So we inquired about another room we had spotted & sure enough, for $50 more bucks it was ours for the night. The second rom was a bit larger, brighter & better located, but still not worth the $320 a night. "Happy Hour" consisted of cheap wine and a handful of Ritz crackers & cheese. Continental breakfast was what you'd expect to get at a cheap "family" style (i.e., lots of kids) hotel. Save your money or look around - you can do better.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
1  Thank Debra S
Reviewed 21 July 2013

There is no reason whatsoever to stay in this place unless you are stuck, stuck and have no options left in SB (which is what happened to us and worse, I made the cardinal sin of not checking Tripadvisor). Where do I start -- its old, decrepit and dirty. We were in room#10 -- the excuse of a bathroom should be ripped & replaced. The blinds were so dirty that they were almost black -- not that it stopped the sun from pouring in at crack of dawn. The pillows are so lumpy, I have a stiff neck & dark eyes from lack of sleep. No air conditioning -- the floor & ceiling fans make such a racket that you switch them off. Like I said, burn the $s instead -- @ $265 + tax, its highway robbery.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
2  Thank Bonnie D
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We left La Jolla San Diego for a mid-week romantic getaway. We did not make hotel reservations and left it up to fate to bring us to a great place. It was risky since its the 4th of July week and hotel options may be minimal. We turned onto the first street off of State St. and looked at the inn closest to the water, we decided to take the next place in. We scored! Villa Rosa Inn has an amazing old world vibe, yet tranquil and a great "vacation" feeling. Our room was freshly cleaned and the greeting from the staff was wonderful. I was greeted with respect and spoken to like family. I could not ask for anything more. We came back to our room a little late and went for a dip in the jacuzzi and we got out in time for it to close but the owners insisted that we take our time and enjoy ourselves. For the price and the hospitality, Villa Rosa was a steal. Thank you so much to the staff for making Santa Barbara an amazing experience.

Room Tip: Villa Rosa Inn is a small location and feels very private. There are many windows in all the room wi...