“Not what it used to be”
Review of Villa Rosa Inn

Villa Rosa Inn
Ranked #11 of 18 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Villa Rosa has long been our favorite inn for a holiday overnight getaway. This December, unfortunately, we noticed a change. The front desk manager was surly and seemed annoyed when we told her the lamp in our room wasn't working. There was no offer to help with our luggage to our upstairs room. The breakfast buffet was paltry and unappetizing -- instant oatmeal served in paper bowls, stale muffins, withered fruit and corn flakes. Cocktail hour offered a few lonely cookies on a plate, cubed cheese and water crackers. The small parking lot doesn't offer enough space for every guest, and street parking is difficult. With so many other hotels -- both new and vintage -- to choose from along Cabrillo Blvd, there's no reason to book this tired inn where management has lost its motivation to please its guests.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa D

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed in the apartments they have next door. The room was smelly, old, no fly screens and no privacy. We asked to change rooms and the Manager was okay but not really helpful. We were shown two others we chose the one without carpets as both of the others smelled so bad. We were told the balcony was private to us but some guy just comes out of his room and he can see right into ours. I got a shock. Then we smelled smoke coming from the room next door. We complained and they did tell them to stop but we were over this place. The next day another manager came to our room and was very rude saying we hadn't paid all up front. We said we gave our credit card to the receptionist when we arrived and if there was a problem use our credit card. She was so rude I couldn't believe it. We have been to the Villa Rosa Inn many times and I usually enjoy my experience but the apartments are not worth the cost. Avoid them.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the apartments next door only the villa inn itself if at all.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My reasons for going with this Inn were that I wanted to be close to the warf and State street without actually being on either, and since I was traveling with my wife I wanted to do something a bit more novel. I also had the sense that this might be a property in transition. Having stayed there now, I think that may be true. I read several reviews of this property prior to making my reservation. Because some previous reviews were fairly negative, I was prepared to have to deal with a bad experience. I tend to lean toward business hotels when traveling so a B&B style isn't always what I think of as a perfect destination. It was a real toss of the dice, but I think it turned out OK.
We arrived around 3:30, so check-in was not a problem. After going through the front desk formalities, went upstairs to our room (room 15). The staff was still busy with some of the other rooms, but ours was ready for occupancy. The room itself is spacious and is dominated by the poster/canopy style king bed. The other furniture in the room is of the same style as the bed, dark oak or mahogany, with emphasis on grandiose proportions. Although the room is large, the leather upholstered sitting chairs and small table lining the only free wall of the room actually crowd the door. It can also be a bit awkward if trying to sit in the chairs without hitting your head on the dressing table or TV. A little effort and doing it once tends to prevent future events.
There is a gas fireplace at the end of the bed that adds a nice touch in the evening. It can be cool this time of year so it's nice to have on if you want to open the balcony doors to the wrought iron balcony. Unfortunately, because of the size and location of the bed, you really can't fully open the balcony doors, and have to maneuver them to access the balcony. The doors themselves are somewhat quaint in that they are louvered and hinged separately from the weather/glass doors. Sadly, one of the things that keeps this from being an excellent room is the overall condition of these doors. They've seen a lot of use and are in desperate need of repair.
The view from the balcony is actually very nice. You look directly down at the garden and pool area, which also has a hot tub and koi pond. I liked the view, but like some of the other things that are preventing this from being a truly excellent experience was, they were trimming and pruning the shrubs. The ladders and equipment left strewn about in the afternoon were kind of unsightly, adding to a generally cluttered appearance of the courtyard. But from this location you do get a glimpse of boat traffic in and out of the harbor.
The bathroom and wash basin are adequate, not opulent or even up-graded. The tub/shower combination reflects what I've seen in other B&B's where the framing and finish for in-room bathing facilities can be in itself a work of art. However, the shower like the balcony, does have a nice view of the courtyard area. Nothing spectacular, but sufficient.
Downstairs, the central living room and reception area does have a couple of sitting chairs and a good collection of coffee table books, all next to the fireplace. They do serve wine and cheese snacks in the evening around the corner from the office, and found them to be just fine. The breakfast in the morning is also available here and is typical fare with the addition of a waffle making machine. A good assortment of pastries, fruit, and cereals were available to go with coffee.
In the afternoon we were able to walk the entire length of Stearn's pier and back, and still have time for wine in the evening. The location of this hotel makes it easy to get around. They do have a large book of recommended restaurants, and the evening person was very forthcoming with recommendations or ideas. Having taken one of the recommendations a few blocks away, we struck out to locate it and have dinner. Unfortunately, that place was over-crowded, and frankly seemed geared to a much younger crowd. Instead we simply walked a few blocks to State street (past and through the Amtrak station) and found a much better option. We didn't have to get back into the car until we left the next day.
Our off-season price was quoted at $169 for this room and with all taxes it came to $190.

Room Tip: Rooms 14,15, and 16 seem to have the best views from upstairs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank s2global
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Let me preface this regarding all the other reviews, this place may be mothers milk to some, but the lies and dishonest business practices make this a deal breaker for me. This was one of several recommended places to stay for a wedding we were attending in Santa Barbara in July of 2013. I have stayed here once before over a year ago, so after our research, decided on the Villa Rosa. I was a little put off by the reviews on Yelp but took that with a grain of salt. We scheduled our arrival for July 5th for 2 nights. Got the standard 3PM checkin, 12PM checkout with our confirmation email. Price was a little steep at nearly $300 a night (with various taxes). I was concerned about AC due to the fact we had to dress for the wedding and didn't want to be a sweatpot while getting ready. We were "assured" that you wouldn't need it that there's a "sea breeze that keeps you cool".

We rented a car for the trip up and made our way north from Los Angeles (July 4th weekend, lots of traffic). We arrived at the Villa Rosa about 1PM and decided to see if we could drop our bags off and perhaps use the pool and also to inquire about an early checkin if available. We made our way to the front desk, passing by an office cubby with a worker who didn't even look up, so we rang the "town crier" bell and waited. The worker in the cubby came out (apparently the owner/manager) and as my wife attempted to say hello and convey our request - was cut off by this woman who proceeded to tell us - "you're too early, you can't check in. Come back later!". My wife tried again (she's a lot nicer than I am about rude people) to explain and again was cut off with, "you're too early, go away. You can't checkin now!". My wife tried to explain that this wasn't the way you greeted people and proceeded to demonstrate how the manager/owner should have started the conversation. The manager/owner (I use this because she NEVER introduced herself, she's just an older blondish, heavy set woman with a scowl) still was being testy and at that point, after fighting heavy traffic, I was in no mood to put up with lousy service for a place I was paying $300 a night. I loudly agreed with the manager/owner that "fine. We WILL go away" and we left.

We decided to go meet friends who were staying in SB as well. We had a bite at the Fish House and then met our friends at El Torito, both of which are just a couple blocks to the south of Villa Rosa. We hoped a cooling off period might change our minds but the whole incident left a bad reminder that we were paying someone $300 a night to be rude and nasty, I was in favor of just doing what she said which was "go way". We decided, rather than stay, to drive back to LA and drive back up the following day.

We learned later that month that they had marked us a "no show" and we opened a dispute with AmEx (July 9th) and stated the facts of the incident. The response from the manager/owner was that "another manager" had tried to repeatedly get ahold of us to find out if we were going to check in, no mention of the fact we had indeed shown up and were told to leave and the manager/owner was aware of that. Their statement to AmEx was that we never, ever showed up. Period. They even submitted handwritten notes to that effect. In response, we reopened the case and submitted again, our facts and recollection of our encounter with the manager/owner and submitted bank statements with a Google Map that showed without doubt we were in Santa Barbara on July 5th and in support of where exactly we were. We were informed on October 1st that the manager/owner responded with a complete change of story and instead of never having been there, supported that when we arrived on July 5th, she was nothing but sweetness and cream. Never once being agitated or rude. The tried to say we wanted to checkin knowing it was too early. Her statement is that everything we said was "pure fantasy". Obviously she read our rebuttal to her earlier response and backpedaled completely and changed her statement to better match what we had documentation of.

The lies and poor business practices has earned this establishment a permanent blacklist in our book. The amount of lost business by not addressing this truthfully will be far more than the $300 that was disputed and is customer care that will never be regained. I fully expect the Villa Rosa to post a rebuttal that will either change their story once again or just present fabrications in their defense of bad management decisions.

Room Tip: There isn't one that I'd recommend. I would stay at ANY other establishment than this one. P...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Geoffrey M
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed at the Villa Rosa during a fortnight drive down the Pacific Highway from San Francisco to San Diego. Spent 2 nights at what was by far the nicest place during the whole holiday. The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble, the rooms were superb although not cheap, but reasonable for the area which is generally quite expensive. The location is literally 3 mins walk to the beach with State street which is where all the bars etc are being only slightly longer to get to. I would certainly recommend both Santa Barbara and the Villa Rosa hotel as somewhere to venture to should you have the opportunity. My only criticism and this is one that seems to apply to a lot of hotels in California is the poor showers. there seems to be adequate pressure in the bath taps but only a dribble from the shower.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed here for one night and had a lovely room, the staff were friendly and the location was excellent, the little pool area and lounge were both lovely and we really enjoyed our stay. The outside area was poorly maintained but off road parking and easy access to the beach and pier.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Great location, clean and tidy, great breakfast, evening snacks and drinks, beautiful little hotel, gorgeous rooms, real Spanish feel to hotel, lovely pool area, comfortable homely reception lounge area, friendly staff, wish we could have stayed longer, value for money.

Room Tip: Walk along pier and eat at harbour restaurant and moby dicks
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family