“Family Holiday”
Review of West Beach Inn

West Beach Inn
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed for two nights in this hotel, the rooms were very clean and the reception staff were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them.

The pool was nice and clean and the spa was lovely and there was also a complementary breakfast included and wine and cheese in the evenings.

The location was perfect, opposite the beach and a short walk to the pier and local amenities,

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TinManor

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Once you get over the fact that this place is not an "inn" but rather an older motel, you will discover that it has a lot of advantages, the most obvious being its location across from the harbor and close to State Street. The bathrooms have been updated nicely and have an operable window, which is a rare feature in a hotel. It provided good natural light and air circulation when combined with the room's windows. Fresh air is another rare commodity in hotel rooms!
The self-serve Continental breakfast in the lobby was very convenient, saving a lot of time in starting the day. I liked the selection of cereals, fresh fruit and tea. The evening wine-and-cheese offering had mediocre wines, but the crackers and cheese helped take the edge off pre-dinner hunger. The biggest disappointment was the dinky swimming pool. It was impossible to swim laps and can only be thought of as a dipping pool.
Considering the hotel prices in Santa Barbara, this place provides relative value and is not a bad choice for those who don't wish to spend a fortune.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gadabout777
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Great, great location! And we got a good deal on our room from calling and comparing prices with the other hotels/inns nearby. We had a nice room overlooking the Santa Barbara beach and pier which I roller skated on every morning. The grounds were clean, and the pool area (small but goes 8 ft deep), and front desk were well kept (nice continental breakfast til 10am and wine (not good) and cheese at 5pm). We stayed during the weekdays so our co-guests were mostly business travelers. Building area looks a little dated but the interior rooms were most certainly not. Interiors were clean, modern, spacious, and quiet with most of the typical amenities, not to mention free Wi-fi and FREE parking! (as opposed to other hotels)

Staff were nice, cleaned our room and offered chocolates, although did leave the bathroom window wide open which might be little bothersome for others if you had valuables that were not locked, but it didn't bother me much. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: FREE wifi and parking!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The hotel looks great and they have morning continental breakfast plus eveing wine and cheese. Pool and Hot Tub are beautiful and kept clean. The Grarden View rooms are thin walled and not very comfortable. The chairs is the rooms are not as comfortable as the chairs by the pool. If you have a bad back, or don't want one, then stay away! There was a combination heater/air conditioner in my room. The heater worked fine, but the AC didn't do a thing. The room cleaners kept opening my windows when they cleaned adn I wasn't there. This caused me to feel as if my things could have been stolen, becuase the house staff were making window decisions for me. Not cool. The turndown service stopped after the first night, which was also not cool. Staff at the front desk was detached and rarely smiled or asked to assist, although they did answer every question we asked. When I asked for a receipt, the desk clerk said that I should have gotten one from Expedia. That would have been a problem, since I didn't book the room with Expedia, I booked with AAA. I never did get the receipt. Its a shame that htis hotel could have been better, but it seems like the front desk and the claeaners run this place and they really didn't care whether or not I enjoyed my stay, as long as the box wine and cheese were out on time. I will not be returning to this place. BTW - the bed sheets were dirty. I left the "change the sheets paper on the bed and the cleaners did change the sheets the second evening. After that, they took the "change sheet" request paper, so I could not use it the rest of my stay. Really bush league behavior from a major hotel chain's employees.

Room Tip: Go to a different Hotel where the employees care about the money you spent.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Joseph R
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This is an older property. Probably from the 1950's or 60's. However, the location is the best if you want to be right on the Santa Barbara harbor at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bmarcom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

If it weren't for the rude staff I would have recommended this place. It was a small room but nicely remodeled. Nice little courtyard with pool, hot tub. Great location across from beach and not noisy at all. Unfortunately they had painters working on the place when I woke up in the morning. They even taped up and had tarped up my car without informing me!! I went to the office to talk with the staff and was told first thing, "if you aren't happy you can leave.". No apology, no I am sorry for the inconvenience. Just an abrupt, you can leAve if you want to. Then they offered me a 30% discount but when I went to check out they said they could only give me %10 because I already had received a discount and they claimed I had received knowledge of this hotel work when I called on the phone. (I booked via the Internet and had no such knowledge of paintwork going on!). Very absurd interaction and never an apology for the noisy disruptions or the fact thAt they taped up my car!

• Stayed: February 2012
7  Thank 11thchild
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and had a lovely stay.

We had a renovated/updated room by the sounds of it, as other people have mentioned that their rooms could have been more updated. Our room was on the small side but bright, modern and clean with lovely crisp linens on the bed and flat screen tv,

Breakfast is pretty decent, bagels, toast, pastries, muffins, scones, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, juices etc, There is also free tea/coffee/hot chocolate and fresh fruit available all day in the front reception and the free wine and cheese in the evening is a nice touch.

There's free WiFi in the hotel, a laundry downstairs and heated pool and a nice hot tub to relax in the evening. The hotel is in a great location, right opposite the beach and a short walk/drive to the pier or main street.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple