“excellent room in perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of West Beach Inn

West Beach Inn
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Toronto, Canada
“excellent room in perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel is a real find. There is ample parking and it's easy to find. We had an excellent view of the beach from our second floor room. The pool is small but heated, and there is a hot tub -- we didn't actually use this, but people appeared to be enjoying it. It's really the location that is the best thing here. The room itself was large and modern, all the amenities that were needed, without being "luxurious", and the internet was free. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast is included -- the typical cold breakfast but a good selection -- and there is daily wine and cheese 5-7 (very average but drinkable/edible, a nice way to relax and chat at the end of the day). Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 416Traveller2013
tstiff, General Manager at West Beach Inn, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. In this era of nickel and diming guests for every and all amenities we pride ourselves on offering all of our added value features free of charge: WIFI, parking along with our Wine & Cheese hour and breakfast in the AM. We look forward to your return visit here in Paradise!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Because the manager, Patricia is one of the rudest people I've ever dealt with. Booking.com recommended this hotel, I was looking for peace and quiet to work on my writing. The first night was nothing outstanding, the beds are too firm and I was next to a parking lot so lots of in and outs but nothing that would encourage a complaint. Then I wake the next morning to someone dragging furniture across the roof of my room. It went on for 30 minutes before I asked the housekeeping staff to pick up the furniture instead of dragging it back and forth. They apologized. That's fine, but the dropping and picking up of anything and everything began and I called the front desk. Patricia. There is no way her staff is disruptive and by the way its 10AM - so this is what happens at that time. Basically I needed to deal with it. I complained again at the front desk and Patricia offered to move me to another room I told her I just want to go somewhere quieter, after back and forth with her agitation inciting my agitation I asked for the manager's info so I can let her know that Patricia's attitude is that no one ever complains so if one has a problem with the hotel, its their problem. She told me its my problem and Its HER hotel and that Teresa Stiff has no more power than she. I asked for her number, she gave it to me when I called Teresa, Patricia answered and sent me to Teresa's voicemail. I wanted Patricia to call her on the phone in front of me since the number was just a runaround and Patricia then threatened to call security. She wanted to call security on me for being disruptive. I was staying in this hotel, they have my money. I told her to call security/police and on what grounds would they arrest me? Because I would not leave her hotel was her response. I decided to get my belongings and check out - as I left she said "You need to go!" from the front desk. So what could have been dealt with, by her just being a bit more respectful, less defensive and more professional. Its a 3 star motel with a 1 star attitude and it starts with the woman who is "in-charge" up front.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank WPM1980
I apologize that your stay was less than expected and that there were some communication problems at the Front Desk. It's a shame that you didn't chose to be upgraded to a room in a different location as was offered.
I hope that you were able to verify that your Credit Card had not been charged for your room as Patricia ensured the Comp'ing of your entire stay for the inconvenience. We try to accommodate all of our guests needs with alternative solutions but it sounds like this instance would have never been resolved to your liking.
Thank you for your feedback.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Whoever writes bad reviews about this place is crazy. For the money you pay and the location, this place is perfect! clean rooms, remodeled modern look & close to beach & State st. Had a great time with my girlfriend and everything was a short cab ride or a walk away. Sambos is a restaurant nearby, the pier is right there, bike rentals, state street. Friendly staff. I highly recommend this place for its location, price and cleanliness.

Room Tip: you can pay more for the ocean view but its not necessary
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. I will pass them along to all of our staff!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Had a room on the ground floor and was truly impressed by the size, cleanliness and modern amenities in the room. The rooms are comparable to a 5 star. Parking is available on the property but sometimes if you come very late at night you might not find a spot in the parking lot. However plenty of street parking available so its not an issue. They have a small pol which was used by quite a few guests, its not big for swimming laps but good enough to relax in during the summer months and enjoy a glass of wine which is served complimentary every evening with a variety of cheese. The lobby though very small is welcoming and staff is helpful and friendly.
Housekeeping is also excellent and gave us great service.
Overall a great place to stay in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank atabh
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

It was perfect for our 5 nights just across Santa Barbara harbor
Nice room , nice view , friendly atmosphere
Wine and cheese social event every night to meet guests from all other
Nice hot tub
Friendly maids
We ll be back for sure

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our family of four had a last minute overnight stay in SB on 12/30. We walked in to the lobby and were impressed with the overall look of the place. It was very clean and we could see the pool/ hot tub from the lobby which looked nice. There were complimentary drinks (tea, coffee, hot cocoa) in the lobby.
The room price was fair, and they had a room available for us. It was even ready and cleaned at 2pm, so we checked in right away. The room was large and very clean with nice, updated decor. We had a great stay.
We arrived home after our trip and realized on Jan 1st that we left a very important item in our room....our 6 year old's beloved blanket/ security item. In a panic, we called the hotel and were shocked that they actually kept it! It was not a nice looking blanket (well loved) and we assumed that it had probably been thrown away by the cleaning crew. Not only did they keep it, but offered to ship it back to us! We received it a few days later. We were incredibly impressed by this extra service and will stay here whenever we are in SB.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank andrea h
RSM, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We were particularly pleased in every way with the West Beach Inn. One of the reasons we chose the West Beach Inn is that it is a 10 minute walk from the train station in which we came, directly across from the marina and beach, a short walk to the pier, AND within a 20 minute walk of the downtown shopping area of State Street. It was a win-win-win in all aspects. We arrived early and asked the desk assistance if they could store our luggage prior to check in while we went for lunch. They gladly obliged. Our check in was very easy and ALL staff throughout the property were delightful and friendly. From reading the previous reviews prior to booking, I did go with the suggestions of some and chose an ocean view room on the upper (3rd) floor. To my delightful surprise, I think we were given one of, if not the best room of 315. In fact, I think any room on the 3rd floor would be the best. The only small drawback is that it is directly over a main street (Cabrillo Blvd) but the light traffic busyness and noise was practicley unnoticable. Also, it seemed a little pricey for the time of year (December). The room itself was large and was excellent. The late afternoon complimentary wine and cheese and the included continental type breakfast was quite satisfactory. Though the West Beach Inn was a small property, each room was situated to provide an excellent experience within all price ranges. Looking over the property, rooms 209 - 212 had a common porch but each unit had their own chairs and tables for a nice outdoor seating area nice for the afternoon wine and cheese. Rooms 201 - 205 were tucked in the back but had nice views of the open, well kept garden and yard area of the hotel. These rooms did not have much of a porch nor table and chairs in front of them. However, I feel would be a good choice. Also, directly across the street is the marina which has a wonderful walking path that can take you all around the marina with many great views - including beach and ocean and much sea and wild life. All-in-all, we definitely liked our stay, liked the property, and liked the simple but satisfying hospitality. We definitely would stay here again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor are great rooms but a little pricier. 315-320 are the best of 3rd floor rooms. Rooms 102-1...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple