“Relaxing stay”
Review of West Beach Inn

West Beach Inn
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Having travelled from the UK to LA we were ready to have a relaxing few days to get over our jet lag before traveling further. I had booked the West Beach Inn some months ago & I was happy with my choice. But as time drew nearer & the fact I had booked for friends as well as my husband & I, I was having some doubts. I needn't of had any concerns; the place is a haven, peaceful, even though on a main road. We had garden view rooms, immaculately kept gardens! Rooms very clean, modern, large, wonderfully comfortable beds. Nice pool, though small. Not too keen on the self service breakfast but there are plenty of places to eat close by. The hotel is situated across the road from the beach & the harbour, makes for nice early morning walks. Santa Barbara is a lovely tasteful seaside town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The room was lovely , 2 huge queen beds , and we had a harbour view room .
The beds were sooooooo comfy.
The bathroom was strange , it had the coffee machine in the toilet ! Very strange .
The free wine and cheese was lovely , free tea and coffee too.
I wouldn't recommend the breakfast , as was dried and only toast or dried cakes .
The best place is 2 buildings to the left called Sambos the food is amazing and open at 6am.
Would I stay again , yes .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LouiseAhmadi
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Located across from the harbor, West Beach Inn is within easy access to much of Santa Barbara. Though they are an older property, like many others in SB, they demonstrate an attention to detail to maintenance and housekeeping: daily pool cleaning, not a blade of grass or flower out of place, and a second round by housekeeping to check bath linens and to leave chocolates on the pillows. Even in California, one must appreciate the almost instant hot water at the faucet and shower, even on the third floor. Though numerous travelers have expressed some sticker shock with Santa Barbara lodging, the West Beach Inn appears to be a value. If walking or cylcing around are not, the 50 meter Los Banos public pool is located across the street(open year for the non-SOCAL residents) for lap swimming.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We always stay here when we are in Santa Barbara. It has been getting a little dated, but they are making some improvements. YAY We were not able to use the pool and hot tub this time, so we were a little disappointed, but it is fixed by now. They did a resurface of the cement and it looks very nice.
We had great service and they offer Breakfast and a wine and cheese time in the evening. Very nice!!
They also offer an anniversary special with can save you some money. Ask them about it.
WE will stay here again. WE like it there. Close to the shuttles, Piers, Restaurants etc. You can take a shuttle up town. Very nice shopping area.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Harbor ,you will need to ask for a view room. Garden room is nice too.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sally J
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The location next to beach was perfect. The motel had very nice large with rooms, but the bathrooms were slightly small. The shower was great! The beds, pillows and linens were lovely. The room had every possible amenity you could image. We had a first floor room with a sliding door and patio area with landscaping. The rooms on the upper floors had a view of the ocean, but they were already booked. Excellent value for the price, as Santa Barbara is a bit expensive. The happy hour in the lobby had wine and cheese, but the wine...marginal, but thoughtful. The continental breakfast was ordinary, but nice to have that option. Yes, I would return and recommend to my friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sandy2645
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel is a real find. There is ample parking and it's easy to find. We had an excellent view of the beach from our second floor room. The pool is small but heated, and there is a hot tub -- we didn't actually use this, but people appeared to be enjoying it. It's really the location that is the best thing here. The room itself was large and modern, all the amenities that were needed, without being "luxurious", and the internet was free. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast is included -- the typical cold breakfast but a good selection -- and there is daily wine and cheese 5-7 (very average but drinkable/edible, a nice way to relax and chat at the end of the day). Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 416Traveller2013
tstiff, General Manager at West Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. In this era of nickel and diming guests for every and all amenities we pride ourselves on offering all of our added value features free of charge: WIFI, parking along with our Wine & Cheese hour and breakfast in the AM. We look forward to your return visit here in Paradise!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Because the manager, Patricia is one of the rudest people I've ever dealt with. Booking.com recommended this hotel, I was looking for peace and quiet to work on my writing. The first night was nothing outstanding, the beds are too firm and I was next to a parking lot so lots of in and outs but nothing that would encourage a complaint. Then I wake the next morning to someone dragging furniture across the roof of my room. It went on for 30 minutes before I asked the housekeeping staff to pick up the furniture instead of dragging it back and forth. They apologized. That's fine, but the dropping and picking up of anything and everything began and I called the front desk. Patricia. There is no way her staff is disruptive and by the way its 10AM - so this is what happens at that time. Basically I needed to deal with it. I complained again at the front desk and Patricia offered to move me to another room I told her I just want to go somewhere quieter, after back and forth with her agitation inciting my agitation I asked for the manager's info so I can let her know that Patricia's attitude is that no one ever complains so if one has a problem with the hotel, its their problem. She told me its my problem and Its HER hotel and that Teresa Stiff has no more power than she. I asked for her number, she gave it to me when I called Teresa, Patricia answered and sent me to Teresa's voicemail. I wanted Patricia to call her on the phone in front of me since the number was just a runaround and Patricia then threatened to call security. She wanted to call security on me for being disruptive. I was staying in this hotel, they have my money. I told her to call security/police and on what grounds would they arrest me? Because I would not leave her hotel was her response. I decided to get my belongings and check out - as I left she said "You need to go!" from the front desk. So what could have been dealt with, by her just being a bit more respectful, less defensive and more professional. Its a 3 star motel with a 1 star attitude and it starts with the woman who is "in-charge" up front.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank WPM1980

I apologize that your stay was less than expected and that there were some communication problems at the Front Desk. It's a shame that you didn't chose to be upgraded to a room in a different location as was offered.
I hope that you were able to verify that your Credit Card had not been charged for your room as Patricia ensured the Comp'ing of your entire stay for the inconvenience. We try to accommodate all of our guests needs with alternative solutions but it sounds like this instance would have never been resolved to your liking.
Thank you for your feedback.