“Oh Geeze' I hate doing this one...”
Review of Jill's Place

Jill's Place
Ranked #102 of 534 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Open Monday - Friday (lunch and dinner) and Saturday (brunch and dinner), Jills' Place is located where her father Jerry opened his original Shalhoob's Butcher Shop in 1973. "The Butcher's Daughter" takes pride in the day-to-day operation of her business, personally cutting steaks and overseeing her family recipes. The restaurant is the go-to option for area businesses and is the local's choice for great steaks, chops, chicken, fresh fish, burgers and cocktails. Proudly serving quality food, genuine drink and the Santa Barbara community for 29 years and counting!
Santa Barbara, California
“Oh Geeze' I hate doing this one...”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I used to love coming here. The last 2 times I have been there I was truly Dis-Appointed...Very Dis-Appointed. My vegetable was a medley of what can only be canned or frozen veggies.

Service was ... Un interested in my happiness. The first drink was a nice pour the 2nd and 3rd was not. Had to ask for everything to complete my meal. It did not used to be this way.

I am friendly with the Owner and wouldn't say this to her. but it is slipping away...

• Visited October 2012

California
“Packed with Locals”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Do I really want to share this fabulous place? This is my Giving back to the travel community that has so lovingly made travel and wonderful food possible all over the world. So here goes...do not miss Jill's Place when visiting Santa Barbara. This place is about so much more than the Food. Jill is the original "Butchers Daughter"..the Shalhoob family is KNOWN in Santa Barbara as providing the best meat to local restaurants. Jill has greated us at the door on most of our visits (we don't know her personally). Your Meal will come with Garlic bread, Soup, Salad...then your entree which has the freshest veggies. This is Old school style dining with the big wood bar, the dark corners, meat hooks on the walls and maybe some sports on the TV. The prices are great and the food is outstanding. One day I am going to order something other than the steak..it's so good I can't help myself. This place is not in the main tourist area. It is about 2 blocks east of State Street. Tourist or local I am sure Jill will make you feel welcomed...that's the kind of place this is.

• Visited October 2012
Santa Barbara, California
“Comfort Food at ii'ts best, A local's treasure.”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Not only have I repeatedly had the best steak I've ever had (funny because each time I get one better than the next) I was happily surprised to find, hands down, THE BEST FRIED CHICKEN with mash potatoes and gravy IN SANTA BARBARA! i am willing to challange anyone to get a better fried chicken dish in this town. Being a southern comfort foodie, I really appreciate the split pea soup and classic staples. Conssistently good service, good atmosphere and stiff drinks! Shalhoobs is one of our families favorite SB restaurants!

• Visited September 2012
Goleta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food but can get a bit noisy”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Some food items are better than others. I have had steaks that were just average.Lamb was great. Ribs were great.

Visited September 2012
Santa Barbara
“Toughest Steaks I've Ever Been Served”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

My wife and I were looking for a good steakhouse in Santa barbara now that Ruth's Chris has left town. Jill's Place had some good reviews so we went. The atmosphere is cozy and it feels like a neighborhood place. The service was attentive and friendly . My wife ordered a filet mignon and I ordered a sirloin steak billed as PRIME. When the steaks arrived they were triangular-shaped and not very large. Unfortunately, the knives supplied with the steaks could barely cut through them. A chain saw might have helped. When the waitress cleared my plate, covered with the gristle I couldn't chew, she at least looked a bit embarrassed. My wife tried two bites and took hers home for the dog.

• Visited September 2012