“Pleasant stay at East Beach”
Review of Inn At East Beach

Inn At East Beach
Ranked #32 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We were upgraded to room 133 at the back of the hotel, which features a small kitchen and dining area. The decor is very nice, sort of updated beach deco. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We needed to use the fireplace at night to stay warm when the temperature dropped and we appreciated the extra blanket! We did hear the train several times each night, as well as early-morning traffic from the nearby 101, but otherwise it was quiet.

The breakfast had a variety of baked items with some unusual treats every day (e.g. Rice Krispie treats and almond croissants), as well as cold cereal, toast, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, instant oatmeal, juice, milk and coffee. Breakfast was eaten outside at several tables or could be brought back to your room.

The hotel is located right near East Beach, a nice location but about 1 1/4 miles and a long walk from Stearns Wharf. However, we found driving and parking around the town to be very easy.

We would definitely recommend this hotel as a very pleasant place to stay in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
InnatEastBeach, Front Office Manager at Inn At East Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Guest!

Thank you so very much for taking a moment to give us your thoughts!!! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us!!! I do hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again very soon!!!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have stayed at multiple hotels in Santa Barbara, but I have to say Inn at East Beach is on the top of my list. We often travel to SB for quick weekend trips, only staying for a single night. So - it's unlikely that we'll be dropping the money to stay at Bacara or the Canary Hotel. We are looking for something comfortable, clean, safe and with friendly staff in a good location. The Inn at East Beach met all of these requirements. The rooms look like they had been recently remodeled, beds were comfortable, bathrooms recently redone as well. They have complimentary breakfast and pastries and bikes for rent.I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I would suggest staying in a room on the 2nd floor. First floor rooms are facing the street and/or c...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
InnatEastBeach, Front Office Manager at Inn At East Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Angela!

Thank you for taking a moment to leave your feedback! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! This is truly the best reward!!! I do hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again very soon!!!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

This inn has an awesome location right across from the beach (no beach view, though, as its behind a larger hotel one block up from the beach.) It is a short walk to the SB beach path. We brought our bikes and used the beach path a lot for fun and transportation. Frank is awesome and made us feel like we were staying at a friend's house. He gave us tips, discount cards and always made sure to say hi or start a conversation when he saw us. Perks included a pretty good continental breakfast, free parking and warm hospitality.

I feel like the hotel is a bit overpriced for what you get (limited amenities, thin walls which were not fun when the kids staying at the hotel were screaming in the pool starting at 7am, etc.), but I know that Santa Barbara is a pricy area in general. The property feels less like a hotel and more like an apartment complex. While I don't think this is the best hotel in SB, it's certainly a great value and the hospitality cannot be beat!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
InnatEastBeach, Front Office Manager at Inn At East Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! I do apologize for our lack of soundproofing! We are hoping to have it updated during our next renovation process. I do hope you will come back to visit us again! Hopefully our soundproofing will be more up to date by then!

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Booked a room but when we went to check in they advised that they wouldn't accept our pre-paid cash card or cash for payment. Stayed in the Hyatt across the road as I didn't want the bank charges for using my credit card overseas.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! I am so very sorry for the inconvenience of the pre-paid cash card situation. Unfortunately, our system will not accept any type of card that does not have an actual name assigned to it. To make things further difficult, we simply do not accept cash. I apologize for the trouble!!! I will see about having this information placed on our website so as to be sure our guests are informed of this anomaly before hand. Thank you for helping to open our eyes to this matter! I hope that someday, somehow, we are able to turn this first impression around for you.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I got this on priceline name your price and everything was great- price, location a block from the beach and very nice room with desk, large screen tv, nice cotton comforter and king size bed, but the pipes were SO LOUD it sounded like a plane was landing. Continental breakfast was also good with options including mini quiche, your basic cereal, oatmeal, toast etc.

Room Tip: I would ask front desk about options for quieter pipes- not sure if some rooms worse than others.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
InnatEastBeach, Front Office Manager at Inn At East Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so very sorry to hear about the pipes in your room! If I had known this at the time, I would have been able to locate the source of the problem. This could possibly be a plumbing issue! I certainly would have offered you a different room had we not been fully occupied that evening. I cannot apologize enough for this disturbance! Our pipes are not usually so loud! I will have our maintenance team check into this immediately! Thank you for your feedback! This is how I know how best to improve for my guests! And even despite this fact, I am happy to hear you were still able to enjoy your time with us! I do hope we will have the opportunity to see you again and hopefully provide you an even better experience!!!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Its a dated hotel but its lovely and the host/owner is lovely.
Rooms a bit smelly but very clean and spacious
We only had breakfast there and there wasnt alot of good options
Great great location.
I wouldnt pay more than $100USD a night though but would definately stay there again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I do apologize for the smell in your room! There should not be a smell! I will work with my Housekeeping staff to discover the source and assure this does not happen again! Thank you for letting us know! I do hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is a small, boutique hotel that appears to have been built in the 50's or 60's and has been updated and lovingly maintained. It retains that "mid-century modern" retro feel, and adds a very personal touch with the management. The hotel itself is across the street from Hyatt Santa Barbara, one short block off the beach.

The room I had was on the second floor overlooking the pool, and was much larger than I would have expected, and the prices for this hotel were considerably lower than any other hotels in the area - with the possible exception of a couple that were not on my list for consideration.

Frank is a legend there - he and his wife have apparently been managing this property for some time, and he has a huge personality. He is friendly, personable, and will go way over the top to make sure you have what you need to have a pleasant stay. He is also extremely knowledgeable about places to see, to eat and how to get the most from your stay.

The hotel offers bicycles for guests, sun chairs and boogie boards for playing at the beach, a wonderful free breakfast with fresh pastries, teas, and more.

I loved all of this. The only detractions; my room had a mildly unpleasant odor when I first arrived, bot bad enough to ask to be moved, just a bit musty. The older wood frame construction means that if you are on the first floor, and you have someone over you, you might hear them walking and the ceiling creaking a bit. You might also hear some traffic noise; the walls are a little thin.

None of these detracted from my enjoyment of the hotel. I would stay here again without hesitation. If you need room service, and do not want an outside entrance to your room, or are a particularly light sleeper who would be disturbed by some light traffic noise or from your neighbors - this might not be the right place for you. I found it to be charming, and a great value.

Room Tip: If you stay in an upstairs room you won't have people walking around above you.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mark!

Thank you for your feedback! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! I do agree that our soundproofing can use some updating and am currently trying to work that into our next renovation budget! Your feedback may help me move that along! Thank you!!! I do hope we will get to see you again soon!