“A perfect way to finish our honeymoon - a lovely place”
Review of Inn At East Beach

Inn At East Beach
Ranked #34 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We arrived at the Inn at East Beach late afternoon near the end of our honeymoon. We parked out front while my husband popped in to check in. Frank greeted him very warmly and we checked in with ease and were given loads of really useful information, maps and guides.

We took our luggage to our room which turned out to be not ready! We went back to Frank who was extremely apologetic and arranged for it to be cleaned straight away. The last residents had helpfully left 'no entry' on the door when they left and the maids mistakenly thought they were not to be disturbed.

We had a quick walk round while the room was cleaned and immediately fell in love with Santa Barbara. Despite our room not being ready we loved the feel of the Inn and decided we wanted to stay an extra night and finish our honeymoon there. It was definitely the right decision.

We got back to the Inn and sat outside on the chairs with umbrellas reading our information while our room was being finished. Frank then bought us out a bottle of wine and two glasses to say sorry about the room and to give us something to drink while we waited. We were really pleased - it was just what we needed.

We got into our room which we really liked. I think from memory we were room 14. Its a great room as its right by the breakfast area. It has Frank's office on one side and on the other you don't have a direct neighbour as the place is split across 3 levels so you have one next door but up a floor and one next door but down a floor. We had a bit of noise from the heavy footed residents upstairs but we weren't in our room enough to notice!

The room is decorated really nicely in keeping with the theme across the Inn. The colours are sea greens and neutral stone colours - lovely! The bathroom is lovely as is the vanity area with plenty of hanging space.

My husband says the bed was the comfiest he stayed in throughout our whole honeymoon and I have to agree! There is a huge TV also with the largest range of channels we had throughout the honeymoon.

Once we were showered and going out we made enquiries about staying another night. There was a vacancy so Frank booked us in and we got to keep the same room too.

People have mentioned air conditioning a lot in their reviews. This always really winds me up. Go out?!! We weren't in our room enough to feel hot and stuffy and want air conditioning. There is an enormous fan in the room and we turned that on at night if we were hot. I really don't think the place needs air con and to be honest I was glad not to have it after breathing it in at every other place I stayed at in the states!

Breakfast is really good with cereals, pastries, toast, bagels, porridge and a range of drinks including a lovely coffee which I believe is local to Santa Barbara. Frank always tells you to load your tray up and we were certainly full every morning!

The Inn is just a tiny walk from the beach and just along the road is a stop for the amazingly priced 25c electric shuttle which takes you the length of the road along the beach and also all the way up State Street.

The beach is beautiful and Santa Barbara is beautiful. We loved our stay and didn't want to come home! I really hope to return one day, and if I do, I would stay at the Inn at East Beach.

2  Thank HarriettPotter
InnatEastBeach, General Manager at Inn At East Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear HarriettPotter

Reviewed 24 August 2009

Upon checking in to the Inn at East Beach we met Frank who was really helpful and gave us lots and lots of info about the local area. Throughout our stay Frank was really friendly and helpful.

The rooms were decorated really nicely - modern but still homely. There were only two things that let the rooms down. Firstly there was no aircon and it can get pretty hot - but there was a ceiling fan and an upright fan which was good for cooling off. The other thing that I found very annoying was that the wall appear to made of paper! We could hear literally everything from outside and nextdoor.

The complimentary continental breakfast was of a good standard with Frank tempting you to take more or to take a snack for later. The breakfast consisted of cereal, bread for toasting, bread rolls, bagels, pastries, muffins, granola bars, biscotti, eggs, juice, water and freshly brewed coffee and tea.

The location was very close to beach and close to the shuttle but stop if you wanted to go to the Habour or Main Street.

Overall a pleasant stay

2  Thank Beachbod

Dear Beachbod

Reviewed 24 August 2009

One block from the beach, off road car park and a decent size room with comfortable beds. On arrival were immediately given a lot of literature on Santa Barbara with directions to the harbour and main down town street. Nice continenal breakfast and small swimming pool but did not have time to use. On departure were asked next destination and given very useful directions how to get through LA by Frank - the manager.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank TraLonW

Dear TraLonW

Reviewed 21 August 2009

When my girlfriend and I decided on visiting Santa Barbara we were delighted to experience excellent service at the Inn At East Beach. I did some research on hotel accommodations and found that the Inn At East Beach had great pricing, location and service. The manager Frank was very kind and wonderfully outgoing. Upon checking in he greeted us with a huge smile an good nature humor. Frank gave us the run down on the locale and provided us with awesome literature and information so we could get the most out of our trip. I had high expectations before meeting him and Frank exceeded them in every way possible

Parking was very easy to access and after unloading our bags we headed to our room which was conveniently located by the pool. The room was clean and was immediately impressed by the remodeling. Two double beds with lovely colored stone headboards, java oak writing desk with a matching large desk upon which a 42 inch LG LCD high definition tv was placed. The bathroom had the most beautiful 48 inch vanity with a white large flat basin sink and twin single handled faucets. I work in special order kitchen/bath design and I guarantee you that the furniture and fixtures were of very high quality.

My absolute favorite experience at this hotel was the continental breakfast provided. Usually when I hear the word continental and breakfast in the same sentence I stay away. Frank completely changed my mind in that respect. There were pastries, bagels, muffins, bread of all assortments, coffee, orange and apple juice, teas of every variety, oatmeal and cereals. It reminded me of Panera Bread because there was so much to choose from and everything was placed conveniently and was very clean. Its the small things that make wonderful experiences and I will always remember my stay at the Inn At East Beach. I definitely will be returning when I am in Santa Barbara!

4  Thank jimmaysayz

Dear jimmaysayz

Reviewed 17 August 2009

When I first made my reservations, I had a higher expectation based upon the pictures on the website. Whoever took the picture did a great job, but certainly I was disappointed after seeing my room. I had a junior suite and I was expecting something larger than a standard efficiency with outdated (some had holes) furnishings. The lack of air conditioning also didn't help and the smell of mold was apparent. We had 1 fan and that certainly wasn't enough to keep the room cool, it was quite of uncomfortable. No fan in the bathroom also was a problem for such a small room. Frank the Innkeeper had a AC unit which was apparent from his window....He probably learned that it was a needed necessity...The breakfast was good. Frank ensured that everyone got a fair shot at a breakfast pastry! All in all, it was an average stay and it deserved the 2 star rating.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank edunnrr

Dear edunnrr

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We use these reviews to enhance our property and appreciate the comments. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 August 2009

We booked this motel three days before travelling there from San Diego, I read all the reviews carefully and was unsure but we were only there for one night and it was VERY close to the beach. On arrival we were met by the manager, Frank I think. Great guy, very friendly but I could see how some people could find hima nnoying. Great knowledge of local attractions and surroundings. The rooms were clean, spacious and cool. Big flat screen TV, modern bathroom - couldn't find anything to grumble about. The continental breakfast was amazing - loads on offer. The clientel were quiet and respectful of peoples noise levels. The pool was clean and there were loads of pool and beach toys that were free to use. Loads of free parking round the back. Nice area of town, a fifteen minute walk into Santa Barbara proper which was great, loads of families walking about. We walked home with our toddler in the dark and felt perfectly safe. In all, read the comments and reviews, but this place is a winner and we wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank betseyScotland

Dear betseyScotland

Reviewed 12 August 2009

This was our 3rd stay at this wonderful inn. Frank the manager is great, larger than life and the font of all knowledge.
The rooms are large and clean.
On our last stay we had a 3rd person with us and requested a rollaway bed. The bed was the comfiest and largest we had over the two weeks travelling the west coast area.
The breakfast is always great , Frank insures that you don't go hungry.
The inn is only 1 road away from the beach so the location is great.
Would recommend this inn to anyone and will stay there again when I am in Santa Barbara

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends