“Good location, comfortable”

Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Bangkok
“Good location, comfortable”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel for just one night and found it to be perfect for what we needed. Parking was right next door (and valet parking available too if needed) and check-in was very quick. This is an older building in the style typical of those found in the central area of Santa Barbara. Our room was on the second floor of the 'main' building and whilst some other reviewers have commented on the small size of the room, we found it to be fine - although yes it is a little smaller than rooms found in the 'cookie cutter' type hotel buildings. Whilst our room faced the street at the front of the hotel, there was not a lot of noise - it is not a busy street at all.

Location-wise it is half a block to State Street which has no end of shops and restaurants. One block to Starbucks, and around a 10 minute walk to the beach and wharf. Overall, our stay was fine and nothing to complain about.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear 1North,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to explore downtown. We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Barbara!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Great all round hotel if you want to be close to the action and don't want to spend a fortune. We stopped in Santa Barbara for one night and booked a last minute deal with Holiday Inn. The Spanish themed reception was a pleasant surprise as was the hotel's location to downtown. The rooms are on the small side but have everything you need if you just want somewhere to sleep. The staff where very friendly and happily brought us a crib for our 5 month old. Breakfast was included. This hotel is perfect for a 1-2 stay in SB. If you're looking to stay longer you want want somewhere with more room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear adyhall,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was accommodating. We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Barbara!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Santa Barbara.

Check in was quick and easy. They also gave a nice cold bottle of water upon check in which was a nice touch. I was on my way to my room within 10 minutes of arrival.

I did not like the fact that I had to go out of the main building, through a narrow driveway to a set of rooms that they called the quiet area. It was anything but.

The first annoyance was that the TV did not work. After a long day of travel, all I wanted to do was take a shower, and relax and watch TV. Much to my dismay, the TV did not work. All I got was "snow" on the TV. I called the front desk, and someone came by within 15 minutes, to get the TV working. All it took was to turn the power button on the TV. Apparently, the remote had not been set. The person who came to help said something about the signal being scrambled.

As mentioned, this room was anything but quiet. I heard doors slamming all through the night. That was another annoyance. That said, I was able to get a good night's sleep.

The room was small, but adequate. Breakfast was OK, nothing out of the ordinary.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear travelmaven_7,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at our property. I'm sorry to hear that the television and noise was an issue during your stay. We take all reviews seriously and appreciate the feedback we receive from guests. We hope you choose to stay with us again and provide us the opportunity to regain your faith in our property.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Right on the heart of down town Santa Barbara, the staff sent us to Cadiz for dinner, I highly recommend it. They were very friendly and were very helpful, Emmanuel and Kimberly checked me in and I mistake asked what they could help with and offered recomendations and coupons for local restaurants. I recommend this place indefinitely

• Stayed January 2014
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Bunny241,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm happy that our staff could help with recommendations for your time in Santa Barbara. We hope to see you next time you are in the area!
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I was pleased, for the most part, with my stay at the Holiday Inn in Santa Barbara. We decided, a week before our stay, to add a second night. They were very accommodating, but initially could not give us the same room for the second night. I booked it in hopes that something would get freed up, and it did. We were given a King room on the first floor, facing the parking lot.
I think that had we stayed in a higher floor, or had a courtyard view, I would have given the hotel a fourth star because the staff was friendly and very helpful, the room was a good size, and well appointed, the location was great (we walked everywhere, all the way up state street, to the zoo, to the harbor.)...
However, there was a good bit of noise from a local club at night, but the front desk furnished us with ear plugs. But when we asked for another blanket to keep warm, we were told they had run out, so that was pretty unexpected. The T.V. was a bit confusing, there were some issues with input, and audio output (and I am not exactly technologically challenged) but the front desk sent someone right away to help out.
Breakfast was plentiful, but there were a lot of people in the hotel for the Valentine's day/Presidents' day weekend, and the breakfast area seemed a bit small. Breakfast itself was similar to McDonald's in quality. Greasy pork sausage, biscuits and gravy, and cheese wiz omelets. But there was plenty, and there was also milk, yogurt, juice, cereal, all the staples. It was definitely kid friendly food. I would not call this place romantic. There were some couples, but eating breakfast with a crying baby and a woman hitting her toddler sort of kills the fantasy. For romance, I would try a smaller, mom and pop style joint, of which there are seemingly plenty in S.B.
In all, a good stay, not great, not bad. I would give it 3.5 stars if I could.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher room, on the side farthest from State Street. Great for families. Great for walk...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SionnanH
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Sionnah H,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and staff. I'm sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the location of your room and some of our breakfast options. We do take requests at booking for room placement, if you would like a higher floor or one facing away from the street in the future. We are currently in the process of updating some of our breakfast options, but we try to provide a variety of choices to our guests. We hope that you stay with us again and give us the opportunity to regain your faith in our property.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Off the Bath exit on rte101, the hotel was conveniently located near the downtown and the beach. A lot of activities nearby. Do not expect luxury; furnishings are dated and awkwardly located. But rooms are spaceous and clean. Lobby serves the Big Mac style breakfast and provides for a space to convene.

One more, across the street, there a local micro-brewery with seating serving fresh beer.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ahncharles
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear C A,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our location as well as the room. We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Barbara!
Monterey, California
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is where I stay when I visit Santa Barbara, for many reasons. It is a beautiful, charming hotel that is impeccably clean. I can't rate the staff highly enough. They are so friendly and accommodating. They really go above and beyond with their service. They have a great breakfast amenity in the lobby each morning. The location of the hotel is perfect. A nice walk up State Street or to the beach, so everything that you want to do is very accessible. The hotel has convenient, safe parking. Douglas and his staff exceed my expectations with each visit!

Room Tip: Staff is very accommodating with requests for rooms that suit your individual and family needs :-)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laurie831
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Laurie831,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We appreciate the positive feedback as well as your continued loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property next time your travels bring you to Santa Barbara!