“New Cooking Experience and we LOVED it.”
Review of Market Forays

Market Forays
More attraction details
Owner description: Market Forays offers Locavore Cooking Classes and Culinary Adventures for leisure travelers. Sustainable Team Building Events for Corporate Groups. Private Chef Services. Our classes are built around the freshest seasonal local ingredients, combined with a playful attitude that draws on my French upbringing, enriched by the cuisines of the many countries I have visited and by California's own multicultural richness. The preferences and restrictions of my guests are built into the day's lesson plan to ensure that everyone enjoys the experience. Sample menus can be viewed on the Market Forays website. Classes are hands-on, and a printed recipe guide is provided to each guest. The goal is not to impress you with my skills, it is to help you realize your own abilities. Saturday Market Forays classes begin at 8 in the morning at the harbor, continue on to the farmers market, and then we cook and share a feast. Class wraps up around 3:30 pm. Cost is $145 per person. Private classes available during the week, advance reservation is required.
Reviewed 19 December 2008

I don’t remember how I found Market Foray by a French woman named Laurence Hauben, a cooking class that takes you to a local harbor for the freshest seafood, to the farmer’s market to shop for all the groceries we need for the class, to a cheese store to taste what we like before we buy, and then go to Chef Laurence’s kitchen to prepare our meal together. It’s a great thing to do as a couple or with girlfriends.

We went to Laurence’s house after we got everything we needed for our meal. She gave each one of us a booklet containing information about how to choose fresh seafood, meat, veggies and fruits; what are the common ingredients in the winter, and the menu and recipes for the class.

We talked about cooking equipment, cooking methods and tricks when we were in the kitchen chopping and cooking. Laurence shared with us why she likes to use cast iron pans -- especially grandma’s old pans. Then we continued our conversation on the culture differences in food and diet, travel experiences, etc. The food was wonderful and the conversation was fun and entertaining.

The food, the table setting, and the way of eating are all very French which was fun. Don’t underestimate this menu, we were so full before she served the cheese plate, salad and the cake. We finished our lunch at 3:30pm, and I am sure everyone was stuffed and opened their belt buckle down one notch. We didn’t even need a dinner after that lunch.

The menu never repeats so we can all retake this class every time when we are in town.

1  Thank ca95125