On a whim, I called Agave on a Friday morning to see if they had availability for that night and Saturday. They did. I took it. We'd had a bad week - our 16-year-old dog passed away - and I thought it would be better for my family if we got away for the weekend. I'm glad the Agave was available. The owner/manager sent a nice email with directions and instructions for parking since we would arrive after 10 pm. We made great time from Orange County, and settled in quickly. It was just as described -- small, clean, neat, and attractively decorated in a sort of Southwest/Ikea style.
Although the Agave is located on a more quiet part of State Street, near the old shopping center and other mid-century motels, we were awakened Saturday morning by the announcer of a soccer or baseball sign-up event at a nearby park. Once we realized it was not someone shouting in the parking lot, we snoozed for a bit longer. A continental breakfast included coffee, juice, tea, muffins and fruit.
After a busy day of shopping on State Street, we went to the Japanese restaurant within walking distance of the inn, and were amused by tables of university students shouting "Sake Bomb!" as they downed their sake and beer. The next morning, I got up early and took a walk to a nursery about a block away, 7-Day Nursery -- which has a great selection of succulents and pottery, along with a nice staff.
I haven't stayed in Santa Barbara in many years, but I imagine prices have increased for lodgings. While the space was a bit tight for three of us, it was comfortable and clean and I'd stay there again without hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Agave Inn-a Shelter Social Club property is a small 13 room Inn. Free WiFi,continental breakfast,and Ipod players in all rooms. Conveniently located close to Earl Warren Showgrounds, Sansum Clinic, Santa Babara Municipal Golf Course and downtown. We look forward to seeing you soon! While visiting please be sure to check out our restaurant- Sama Sama Kitchen -located in beautiful downtown Santa Barbara! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Agave Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Agave Hotel Santa Barbara
- Agave Motel Santa Barbara