“A Pleasant Property with Gracious Staff”
Review of Hilton Santa Clara

Hilton Santa Clara
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I stayed at the hotel for three nights while attending a conference. My arrival was compromised by the fact that my airline had lost my bag, but the staff checked me in very smoothly when I arrived at 1pm, and later sorted me out with amenities, made a good suggestion about where to get replacement items.

Many such hotels in suburban locations have a rather sterile feel to them. I would not say that the Hilton was able to completely avoid this, but I thought the design of the entrance to the lobby was actually quite grand and generous, and the decor of the lobby was tastefully done, with some unusual pieces of statuary, rough hewn and done in the Internationalist style. The high ceilings, well designed layout of the lobby and above all the very friendly staff make a positive initial impression.

As mentioned, the check in process was incredibly smooth, and I was up to my room in 2 minutes. The room itself was large, spacious, and filled with light. Internet charges are about US$10 per day, which is not terrible, and if you are an HHonors member they'll give you access to the lounge for breakfast.

I ate twice at La Fontana restaurant, once for breakfast, when I had a delicious omelette, and once for dinner, when I ate a fish taco, quite a pleasant experience. I would not describe it as haute cuisine, but simple and appetizing. The adjoining bar always had people inside, and gave a certain sense of life to the main lobby area.

It was directly across the street from the Convention Center, where I had my conference, and walking over was fairly elementary. The South Bay is a terrible place not to have wheels, but for those unprepared to drive, there is a VTA Light Rail station right next to the hotel that can provide adequate connections between Mountain View, San Jose and Campbell. I normally drive but did not bother getting a car this time since I knew I'd be at my conference the whole time. Having access to the train came in handy in getting to the Great Mall to get clothes while I waited a couple of days for my bag to be delivered. There's really not much around the area except for the Great America theme park, but for urban life one would hardly come to the South Bay then eh?

I enjoyed my experience at the hotel overall. I found all the staff gracious and friendly, which is what really distinguished the property from others I've been to in the area.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Public_Dave

Reviewed 12 August 2009

The Hilton Santa Clara is located in the parking lot of California's Great America (and the future 49er's stadium) and across the street from the convention center. That right there may save you $15 if you're visiting the park or convention center. The price was reasonable on the hotels website ($100), but a quick check on my Ipod Touch in the lobby yielded a better price on Hotels.com ($79). They wouldn't honor the price; I understand that they have agreements in place with the websites but it was still annoying. I booked through the web and got the discount, and returned a few hours later $15 richer. The lobby was amazing, the rooms are well appointed and everything seemed brand new.

There was no continental breakfast (I wouldn't expect one with this level of hotel though). The restaurant looked very nice though the pool looked pretty weak for this kind of hotel. All in all the service was very good, the room was nice (especially the Plasma tv and bathroom) and we had a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2009

If you are going to the theme park near by, it is adjacent to it. If you are looking for a great place with lots to do and a great pool scene though, I would not recommend it. The hotel itself was extremely comfortable and spacious. The front desk people were very personable and provided great service. The rooms were unremarkable, but at the same time very comfortable, which as a businesswoman was important. I found the service to be reliable, and the rooms to be sufficient for what I required. The pool had very little sunlight and was rather small, but I was not there for the pool scene.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2009

As a business consultant, I have spent a couple months traveling to this hotel weekly. The consistent friendliness of the the hotel staff really helps living away from home easier. The lady who mans the concierge level always greets everyone with a friendly good morning or evening and has a very pleasant personality. The rooms are nicely appointed with modern furnishings and flat screen TVs. The rooms are perfect for business travelers - good furniture, wireless, wired LAN, good storage for clothes etc. The gym has good precore equipment, free weights and medicine balls and a good pool and jakuzi. My work is 25 minutes away. There are many other hotels closer to my work but I choose to stay at this one.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2009

This is a perfectly adequate hotel, but I have stayed in much nicer hotels. The common areas in this hotel are smaller than typical for a full service hotel. The staff seems very scripted and not very genuine, but they are professional. They have some problems answering certain questions and seem to have a certain "flow" they follow and if anything in your interaction does not follow their "flow" they are unsure how to respond due to how much scripted training they have been given about how to address questions and what to say.

The rooms here are fairly nice and it is fast and easy to get from the parking lot to your room. Parking is free and they also have free computer use downstairs where you can print maps or other needed items.

While I would not pay the rack rate for this hotel, I really do enjoy staying here when I get it on Priceline. I have stayed her a few times and have been satisfied each time, but this is not a hotel that is particularly memorable nor will it leave much more than a neutral impression on you.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2008

Stayed at the Hilton for two nights in order to attend a nearby sporting event. The hotel meets the baseline for what you'd expect in a hotel of its class, not a whole lot more.

Like the area its in (Great America notwithstanding, its centered among all the generic looking tech company office buildings), the building is generic, unmemorable and could frankly be any of a number of other rival chains. It has good access to the freeway and the San Jose light rail system. It is a reasonable drive from the airport and makes a good base for any work in the area. There is nothing memorable about the hotel, but I doubt you'd be booking here for that sort of experience. The service ranged from snippy to very accommodating, skewing towards the latter. The LG flatscreen TV and bed were both a nice feature in the room.

Recommended for business traveler and tourists who only want a nice place to sleep (not spend time in).

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2008

... the Hilton Santa Clara knows how to come through. Like other hotels, the Hilton in Santa Clara, CA is seeing its rooms more empty than full, and the staff is bending over backwards to give guests a problem-free stay.

My husband and I traveled all night from Arizona to a wedding the weekend of November 8, and arrived at the Hilton at 5:30 a.m. exhausted and in immediate need of a room. I asked at the desk if anything was available (our reservations were for two nights starting with the night we arrived) that we could get into quickly, and I offered to pay for the night we just spent traveling. The desk clerk said the room assigned to us was not yet available, so she quickly upgraded us, let us into a larger room facing the front of the hotel, and did not charge us for the night just past. The room rate also remained the same - $99 (as had been negotiated by the wedding party).

I'm sure this kind of treatment is unusual (and, based on other reviews probably rare), but we appreciated it, and give the Hilton five stars for the way we were treated. We had breakfast at La Fontana restaurant and experienced teriffic service (and free coffee) there as well. If you're going to San Jose - while the economy is still in a snit - stay at the Hilton. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
HYATT House Santa Clara
HYATT House Santa Clara
#2 of 32 in Santa Clara
HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley

Been to Hilton Santa Clara? Share your experiences!