“It's the Bay Area so a hotel room under $200 is amazing!”

Driftwood Santa Clara
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Nothing special but its a place to crash and it's near San Jose. Exactly what you would expect from an Econolodge.

• Stayed: December 2011

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I try to travel on a budget so that makes some of my experiences understandable. This place surprised me (negatively) though. It looks like an average motel, the check in experience was like an average motel and on the positive side it was quiet at night and reasonably so in the daytime. When I checked in I was given an upstairs room and as soon as I opened the door I knew the desk clerk and I would be talking more often than he liked.
The room was narrow and the desk had an armchair awkwardly stuffed under it that didn't fit under and blocked about half of the already narrow walkway to the rest of the room. An assortment of screws on the wall above the beds indicated that at some time there were 3 pictures in the room instead of the current 1. It was late so I decided to talk with the manager in the morning. Turns out the clerk is actually the resident manager, and maintenance guy, who says the housekeepers don't keep him informed. Maybe he should walk around and open a door once in a while.
The next day I heard/saw several interactions between guests and a very expressive and rather loud housekeeper. She complained about the way they were keeping their rooms and I got the impression this is an ongoing situation. At least two of the rooms seem to have people living semi-permanently . The woman in the room next to me (after I was moved to a nicer room downstairs) that plays her radio loudly enough to be heard through the wall, actually went to the housekeepers cart, got the vacuum and vacuumed her own room. Then there was the group of 3 or 4 men that worked on the motor home in the parking lot for an entire day trying to get it started. It was parked here when i got here and 3 days later still there, still not running.
It's not my business how people live but this is definitely not what I expected from a chain, even a cheap budget chain. I'll do more homework before booking next trip.

Room Tip: If you end up choosing to stay here I reccommend insisting on previewing the room to see if it accep...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Our stay @ the EconoLodge was very pleasant.The rooms were quite large w/ excellent space to work & relaxe and just move around without feeling "boxed-in".{nice decor} Our stay was on a weekend and was very comfotable,clean,and most of all very QUIET,with a receptive and pleasant on-sie management team.{Large choice of places to eat}

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The staff was awsome ,location was perfect,
The price was even better.time the time got away from me, late check out no problem,so I give it five stars.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The Econclodge is perfectly located on EL Camino Real {1 blk east of Lawrence Expwy } in Santa Clara, Ca. They have large beautifully furnished rooms with fantastic work spacew/desk. I've stayed @ varios hotels in the area & find the Econolodge to be pleasinglg Quiet, Relaxing & very Comfortable with an excellent on-site management. The location offers a huge variety of places to eat / dine within walking distance.The Econolodge is an Excellent choice when in Santa Clara.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We live 3 hours from Santa Clara, and I was scheduled for surgery early the next morning. We decided to get a hotel room at the last minute, instead of dealing with rush hour traffic the next day. I used to travel for business several times during the year, and this is one of the dirtiest hotels I've ever stayed in. When we checked in we were told we can not have a key to the room. Someone had to open it for us. The bold lock on the door was broken. But we figured we'd stay because it was only one night and it was already 10:30pm. The room had an awful funny cleanser, maybe air freshener smell. When we pulled back the bed there it was- A Long Black Hair on the pillow. YUCK!!!! We slept with our clothes on, and I used my robe for a blanket. I was thankful I brought my own pillow and changed the pillow case as soon as we arrived home. The mattress was not comfortable. The TV had a really loud buzz, so you had to turn up the volume to not hear the buzz. The walls are thin and you can hear guest snore and cough.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I arrived at the hotel at about 5 pm. The desk representative welcomed me with smile and 'Hello'. I got the key for room within 5-10 minutes. It means it takes only 5-10 minutes to complete the check-in process.
I like the room as it was non-smoking and cleaned and organized. I was just staying there for business purpose and like to have a quite sleep at night. I really had a good sleep that night.
Next morning, I enjoyed my self with break fast with a cup of cereal and milk. It was nice.
Lastly, I would say I got what ever I have paid for.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Best Western Santa Clara University Inn
Cherry Orchard Inn Sunnyvale
Cherry Orchard Inn Sunnyvale
#16 of 33 in Sunnyvale

Been to Driftwood Santa Clara? Share your experiences!