“Food very good, service still lacking”
Review of Justin's

Justin's
Ranked #138 of 430 Restaurants in Santa Clara
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Jose, California
“Food very good, service still lacking”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I ate at Justin's a couple of times when they first opened a year or so ago. The service was spotty then, but I chalked that up to the fact that it was still new. The service has improved a bit, but it is still substandard.

When we arrived, there was no hostess in evidence, despite the fact that she wasn't seating anyone and there were only three tables occupied in the main dining room. After a bit a server told us the hostess would be with us shortly. The manager was sitting at the bar with his back to people entering the restaurant, but he did nothing.

We ordered a bottle of wine. It took 15 minutes to get it. Apparently only the manager has the key to the glass enclosed wine storage room behind the hostess desk. Servers have to ask him to open it for them. What's up with that? The second bottle came a bit faster. We had to ask to have more wine poured. Servers should always be on top of that. Ours wasn't.

Appetizers, main courses, and dessert were all very good. I'd rate Justin's as excellent if the quality of service was up to the quality of the food.

• Visited December 2013

Santa Clara
“Good Points & Improvements Can Be Made”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Went to Justin’s in Santa Clara for dinner and has a mixed experience. I agree with others, and maybe since it is new they can work out the bugs. Overall it was good not fantastic but good. The décor was well used. The location used to be that of a iconic bakery that closed after decades of being at this location. They did a good job with the layout and décor. The service was pretty good too. Appetizers, bread and drinks were the highlight. The mussels & fried artichoke hearts awesome. For dinner I had potato leek soup and it was very good as well. The main course I had the hazelnut encrusted sea bass and substituted risotto for the bok choy. This is where the experience misses for me. The risotto was decent, but nothing outstanding, the bass was a overcooked, but for me the hazelnut coating was very dense and burnt. Burnt hazelnut is not a good taste. It would have been better with a lighter choice of nut maybe macadamia, or even cashew.
Looking at other dishes that our party had there are some interesting choices that looked better than my burnt hazelnut. I say not a bad place to go and hopefully over time they work on some minor bugs and this has the potential to be a huge hit.

• Visited December 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“Good dining experience....but could be improved”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I say good.....not great or fabulous. We love traveling and dining so have heard good things about Justin's and wanted to try it. The decor is done very well. The service was good.Had some very nice wines. We started with the Mussels which were wonderful.The bread served was also very good!The flavors had us dipping our bread in the sauce.I then had the Sea Bass which had way too much topping.It absolutely ruined the fish which was cooked perfectly.Then the sauce over the plate combined caused a heavy queasiness.Less topping and just a SMALL drizzle of sauce would have made it a better dish.My husband had the Veal Osso Buco which was done very well.He really enjoyed it. I would try this place again because I do feel it was one of the better dining experiences we've had without driving North or South of San Jose.

• Visited September 2013
Santa Clara, California
“Nice appetizing presentation...”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We ordered a
Pear Salad- mixed greens, roasted pears, chèvre crumbles, hazelnuts, cranberries, wrapped in a cucumber cuff with apple vinaigrette.
Beautiful presentation!
One of the nicest salads I have seen! The apple vinaigrette should have been more pronounced.

We ordered a Artichoke And Sun-Dried Tomatoes pizza....with lemon herb pomodoro sauce, chèvre and asiago cheeses. The crust was VERY thin, and it was not overdone with greasy cheese. Very good!
Recommended.

Going back for the desert soon...and a glass of wine from their pretty good wine list.

• Visited November 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
“Nice experience”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The look of the place from the exterior won't knock your socks off, but our meal was outstanding. Service was very good.

• Visited September 2013