“Gourmet Dinner”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is by far one of the best restaurants in Santa Clara, CA. We went at 5:00 pm and got seated right away. Our service was great but this may be due to the early dinner since it was not crowded at that time. I thought the Blood Orange salad was one of the best salads I have had in a long time. Next time I will try the Balsamic Caesar salad which also looked great on the menu. There were several good choices for entrees on the menu but I could not pass up the Bacon, Brie and Caramelized Onion Stuffed Burger with fries. Also, one of the best I have had in a long time. My girlfriend had the Cauliflower Steak which doesn't sound good but was actually very flavorful. We will be going back to try other items on the menu.

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Ahhh, finally a restaurant that positively surprised us!
Saturday evening, had reservation made. Table we got wasn't exactly our top choice, but we were able to change.
Small affordable selection of wines. Chose a J.Lohr PAU- as expected, nice!
Hors-d'œuvre : escargot - very very nice ! Not your typical garlic buttered oily escargots , but spooned, with cranberry and dark chocolate shavings, one improvement which could be made: use porcelain, not plastic spoons!

Grilled mussels with Meyer lemon butter - very, very nice too.

Pear salad, good dressing could have been a bit more vinegary , and for me a bit more salt, but that is preference.

Mains : New York Steak, very nice meat, was a bit undercooked. Very nice that when it came back the sides and presentation was redone fresh!
Buffalo burger for me , very nice too, only negative - the fries a bit saggy and honestly 1/3 would have been enough. Side of Brussels sprouts - great taste!
Dessert, crème brûle, a variant with apple in it and a peanut tuile, the crème a touch sweet, the tuile excellent. Compliments to the chef!

Waitstaff overall good , maître d' very efficient, side waiter - very nice and efficient, our waitress a little cold in the beginning, but warmer and friendly towards the end.
Again, a very nice surprise, and we will come back !

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Since they assigned one server for a party of 30, some of us walked up to the bar to order drinks. Mistake, big mistake. I would rather tolerate slow service than a rude bartender.
The manager sorted things out, but we never went back to the bar. The food was ok, some dishes good while most other average. The space also was not enough for a large group. I would avoid it for office parties.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I would have rated this higher but their service is abysmal. I would give them a break if it were just due to the fact that it is a new establishment but it goes beyond that. I have been there 4 times in the last 4 weeks. While I like their bar area - the vibe is good and the food is interesting, I won't be going back Here's why: the first 2 times the bartender pointed out the different beers on tap, then we ordered what we wanted, those brands weren't available; the next week we order wine on the list and the brand wasn't available; last week I ordered a non-alcoholic mojito after having just purchased one of their $11 cocktails; They charged me $11 for the alcohol-free mojito; When I complained to the bartender, Chris, he said if he had made it he wouldn't have charged me anything but because they only have one charge in the system for a mojito, he'd have to charge me $11! I said $11 for water, lime and mint???? I'm not paying it - get the manager please! Chris did get the manager and the manager told him to comp the drink, but he never came over to apologize. Then last night we were there again with some friends - four of us. My friend and I had food menus in front of us as we were going to order some food. Maybe 5 minutes had passed while we were chatting before we got a chance to open the menu. Chris the bartender took my menu away from me to give to another man at the bar. I said, "Chris, I haven't ordered yet." He said, "you can share with your friend, I need this for the other guy". I said, "Give me back my menu and go get another menu for the man." There were literally about 7 of us in the bar so you'd think they could plan a bit better with the number of menus they have on hand. I guess Chris thought 4 of us should share 1 menu. Lastly, the manager seems to train the bartenders at happy hour so it is difficult to get their attention. You'd think the manager would be a smart enough businessman to train them before the crowd comes! It seems each time we go to this place, there is just one thing after another that I find really insulting. My friends and I have discussed that we'd much rather go to Mio Vicino next door, where I have eaten no fewer than 50 times and we are always, always treated with respect. Not to mention they have excellent food. I wanted to give Justin's a chance. I may go back but it won't be for a long time.

1  Thank Mollsker
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I ate at Justin's a couple of times when they first opened a year or so ago. The service was spotty then, but I chalked that up to the fact that it was still new. The service has improved a bit, but it is still substandard.

When we arrived, there was no hostess in evidence, despite the fact that she wasn't seating anyone and there were only three tables occupied in the main dining room. After a bit a server told us the hostess would be with us shortly. The manager was sitting at the bar with his back to people entering the restaurant, but he did nothing.

We ordered a bottle of wine. It took 15 minutes to get it. Apparently only the manager has the key to the glass enclosed wine storage room behind the hostess desk. Servers have to ask him to open it for them. What's up with that? The second bottle came a bit faster. We had to ask to have more wine poured. Servers should always be on top of that. Ours wasn't.

Appetizers, main courses, and dessert were all very good. I'd rate Justin's as excellent if the quality of service was up to the quality of the food.