“Large convention hotel with no room service!”

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a large hotel near the Santa Clara convention center.. . .
Stayed here as was on business trip and the sponsoring company had their course at the hotel (am SPG member and would have preferred SPG hotel) and the company stated i had to stay here and was forced to stay here.

My wife and I arrived late into SFO (9:25 pm) on Friday night and rented car and drove here fulling expecting the bar/restaurant to be open as it was Friday or at least to have room service.

We arrived and the bar was still open (was closing soon which shocked us to see closing as wasnt too late) and got a drink but when we inquired on food and room service they stated they didnt have room service.. . .this is unacceptable as this hotel is large business hotel that caters to large groups. I would understand if it were a smaller hotel.

In any case the hotel overall wasnt bad as the rooms were nice and standard fare but like i mentioned the lack of room service is big issue especially if you fly late into SFO late (arrived around 9:25 pm)

Would I stay here again probably not as the hotel in this day and age in a large convention hotel should have room service (fortunate I had a car and ended up going to In N Out )

2  Thank RonanJordi

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The Hyatt is a nice hotel but starting to get a little outdated, the hotel has tried to update the hotel but it feels more like putting makeup on a pig, the rooms are updated-ish, so are the bathrooms but the showers are something out of the 1980's.

I found the staff very friendly and helpful, the bar restaurant is actually very good, the Korean Tacos were super tasty. At night there are not any restaurants close to the hotel within walking distance, make sure you have a car.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I attended a conference and the main computerized billboard containing all the event time(s)
were an hour off. There is an Alcatraz jail exhibit and a stand alone toilet in the middle of the hotel. When you weren't working, you felt like you were in jail. The beds and the pillows in the jail exhibit smelled. The lobby was filled with jail memorabilia. If you like the feel of being in prison, this is the place for you. I was greeted by the bartender and slapped with a $2.00 fee for ice. I could have been Robin Hood and filled my ice bucket on the hotel floors with free ice delivering it to all in lobby.

Room Tip: Make sure You bring a few extra dollars for Ice if you go to the bar.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Booked this Hyatt because I enjoy the quietness and comfort of a stay at their hotels. Just stayed at the Hyatt in Thousand Oaks 2 nights before and it was fantastic! This one was certainly not fantastic - in fact I came away more tired and aggravated than I arrived on my travels. Used Hyatt website to give feedback and they did not respond at all. I expect a few things to work when I check into a hotel, like the TV and the air conditioning.

Check-in by web was great (but Barcode did not show up in my email, it just said "BARCODE" so that part was useless and still had to go to the desk). Lobby looks great and free parking is convenient. I see others talking about Valets and Bellman greeting them with a cold bottle of water - nobody even said hello on my many entrances during my stay, let alone giving me a refreshing bottle of water. Lack of greeting upon arrival is not normal for a Hyatt.

After check-in we got in elevator, wow, this looks like a cheap, old elevator. Then got out on our floor and see this hallway with awful light blue and the doors to the rooms look like a 1970 Holiday Inn. We looked at each other and said "this doesn't look good!" Though once in the room it looks new and modern, even if very "boutique" style, which I do not like very much. Kind of like an Ikea model room. The beds were very comfortable and I would say were easily the best part of the room and our stay, but that didn't help much due to the heat and other problems that prevented a good sleep.

Here is where the real problems start - the room was warm so I went to thermostat and turned it down to 70, 30 minutes later I turned it down to 68, then later I turned it down to 66. The room temperature never went below 73 during the stay and in the morning with the sun shining in the window it was very warm. When I finished my shower in the morning I felt like I got out of a sauna. I was sweating while I was trying to get dressed - very uncomfortable!

Turned on the TV and noticed the welcome channel is fuzzy, move up the channel list and find only 3 channels that are watchable (one was Cartoon Network). CNN and ESPN were totally unwatchable - used the TV like a radio from there on in.

Getting ready for bed I went to the iHome clock radio to set the alarm and the dial turns but only moves the minute back and forth by one minute no matter which way or how fast you turn the dial. I am not saying it only moved 1 minute at a time, it only changed from 5:30 to 5:31 and then 5:29 and it never went higher or lower than those numbers. Okay, so I call down for a 7am wake up call, no big deal. Well, as it turns out I didn't need it. At 5am I awaken for some reason and when I try to go back to sleep I hear people leaving their rooms and the doors made big clunking noises when they close. I also notice that the fridge in my room is making a high pitch squeal, it is not really loud but you can certainly hear it in the room. I have never experienced this amount of noise in any Hyatt hotel in the past and I feel like I am now staying in what most likely was a Holiday Inn in the past. Looking at the room layout and the need for the very impractical sliding barn doors on the washroom kind of confirms that this was not designed as a Hyatt hotel. Those barn doors might be fine if you are the only person in the room but when sharing a room it is horrendous. But the bathroom is so small there is no way they could put a regular door on it. No room to even turn around in the bathroom, it was awful!

The attention to detail in cleaning the room is not up to par either. There is a lot of dust on the plugs and tops of objects in the room and on the wall near the entrance to my room there was what I could only describe as a splash of blood splattered on the wallpaper. Not very hard to notice, it was about 6 inches in diameter.

Upon leaving the hotel the next morning I was running a little late because I was waiting as long as I could to dress while the sweat was drying from the warm room conditions. I went to the desk and told them I was checking out and they did not ask me how my stay was, they just said "I see no further charges on the room bill, you are all set." Well Hyatt, I will be contacting you about this stay. I did not sleep well, was not comfortable in the room and I do not feel I received what I expected or anybody should expect when the book a room at the Hyatt. I know the Hyatt chain has different levels of hotel properties but the Hyatt Regency should be a lot better than this. And I remember 1 more thing now. As I was travelling a lot lately I brought my swimsuit hoping I could stretch out in the pool and relieve some of the knots and soreness that comes with air travel. Well, there was a note in the room that said the pool was closed to the public as there was a private function going on there but you were free to use the pool on other days - Fantastic Hyatt! That really topped off my stay there.

Room Tip: Book a room at the Hilton across the street instead.
2  Thank John R
HyattGuestRelations, Hyatt Guest Relations associate at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear of your overall stay experience at the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara. Please accept my apologies for the uncomfortable condition of your room due to the lack of AC and television not working properly. It is also disheartening that you were not greeted properly or acknowledged at the desk.

I am sorry that your experience was not indicative of Hyatt. Please do contact Hyatt Guest Relations at 1-800-323-7249 if you have not yet received a response from the Hyatt website feedback you mentioned that you provided.

Warm Regards,

Julie B--Hyatt Guest Relations

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Generally Hyatt Regencies are pretty nice and this one is as well. The lobby, bar and pool are all updated and modern. The rooms still need a little work, but they have trued with cool modern furniture - but the baby blue still reeks of the early 90s. I suggest a balcony room if you can get one - huge windows make you feel like you are in a resort, altough your view is just Silicon Valley.

The staff were all really great! The pool guy tried a little TOO hard, even to the point where I was feeling harassed for not ordering from his booth from his small selection of food items and instead going into the bar and orderinf from there (which they did with no problem at all). Cool your jets buddy!

Ok, so this hotel is located right next to the new Levi's Stadium where the 49ers will play, so I assume it will be packed all Season, every season....can be good or bad (the only other hotel in walking distance is the Hilton across the street). Also, Six Flags Great American is also right next door, as well as a driving range for golfers. The only bar/restaurant nearby is David's Restaurant (which we went to, but it was for a wedding....so the food was pretty good, but may have been catered).

Overall, this is a family hotel, but has some great ammenities for adults (good bar, pool cabanas, golf, etc.). So beware single people and couples - there will be children.

Room Tip: Balcony room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Decent hotel, convenient, roomie. Right next to 49er new stadium. I gave it a three cause I hate lots or carpets and if dirty not good. I would say hotel room carpets need a good cleaning, other than that good hotel.

1  Thank ChazDP
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Great hotel,great room, fantastic staff from housekeeping to the front desk but one thing missing. No dresser drawers in the king bed room that I stayed and it seems in same rooms of other friends staying.. OK for a one day business trip stop, open your bag on the floor and use it as a drawer. But for a two or more day stop this gets old fast. Three small night stand drawers are available but no dresser size drawers. Shame on Hyatt Regency. Next time I will stay in the hotel across the street.

Room Tip: Avoid the king bedrooms, I think the queen bed rooms have dresser drawers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Clara
#1 of 32 in Santa Clara
Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Santa Clara
HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley

Been to Hyatt Regency Santa Clara? Share your experiences!