“Aging and Tired”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Aging and Tired”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is an older 'suite' hotel, and they offer a decent 'American Continental' breakfast. The room was clean looking, but didn't smell clean. Might be good for a long term training class, or if you had kids and needed something with 2 rooms and breakfast. The staff wasn't very attentive, and overall the facility just feels tired.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Michael F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 11 November 2013

What a great place! Only 3.5 miles from the San Jose Airport, free parking and very little air noise. Our check in and out was a breeze! We had a clean, spacious King suite with a large bedroom and bed with lots of pillows.

It was a long day and we were tired so we took advantage of the three free drinks coupon that the room came and ate dinner at their restaurant that had reasonably priced entrees. The delicious buffet breakfast was also included with our room. This was a very nice, quiet hotel and would definitely recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay higher up then Floor 2 so you don't smell breakfast odors
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mysugarpie
Salinas, California
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We really like this hotel and the location. It is very nice and clean and the staff is great at accommodating your needs! We have stayed here a couple times and each of our visits has been great. The price is great considering you get a free breakfast in the morning and you get 3 tickets to go to the bar per adult. Now that's a deal

• Stayed November 2013
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I had been thinking how to evaluate this hotel. There were only two options, either 1 (Terrible) or 2 (Poor). Finally I decided that it should be 2 (Poor) for this hotel has certain advantages. So let me start with them.
The first advantage is breakfast. It was definitely better than I had in many other US hotels; especially choice of hot food was good. But still they do not serve hot porridge.
However the breakfast room is small, limited number of tables cannot accommodate all guests. I don’t mind sharing table with somebody else. But other people might want certain privacy to enjoy the first meal of the day. So my advice is to take a table near the bar or outside if weather permits.

The second advantage is three story parking garage conveniently located across the hotel’s entrance. Leaving car in the shaded parking structure will save you from cooking its interior, this is very good especially under burning sun in California.

I got a standard 2-room suite with bed, chairs, sofa and two wide screen TVs – everything like their official web sites says. The room was also equipped with microwave oven. Surprisingly but I found neither forks nor knives nor other dishware, so I had to visit lobby to ask for all that stuff.

A safe box was hidden in the same rack as the microwave oven. That was also considered good since my previous hotels I stayed during this trip did not have it.

The room had a coffee brewer. In spite of the site says that this machine is capable of making tea for you – don’t believe this. Certainly it boils water and pours it into a cup. But every cup will inherit strong smell of stale coffee, regardless of how many times you pass water through this system.

Now let me talk about serious inconveniencies which ruined my peaceful rest in the room. In short – LOT’S OF NOISE FROM VARIOUS SOURCES. And even more.

The entrance door in my room was constantly twitching because of air movement in hallway. Every time somebody else opened or closed doors, my room’s door was jerking. I had to jam paper into the door crack and this is how I solved this. DIY in the room of expensive hotel was not what I expected.

The hotel is situated near freeway but windows installed in the room are single layer thin and do not protect from noise of traffic outside. Even small cars passing by are perfectly audible; needless to say how bigger vehicles attack your ears especially in the night. If you are tired after a busy day you might fall asleep anyway, otherwise traffic will cause problems for you.

The room is equipped with air conditioner which is also a heater. The problems start when it switches on. Every time it produces a horrible sound resembling something heavy falling on a metal roof. Then the fan of A/C system roars like industrial grade air blower. Surely it is impossible to sleep if this system is running. It was impossible even to think about sleep, so I had to keep it switched off meaning I had to sleep without air-conditioner/heater.

Unfortunately that’s not all. A faucet was dripping in bathroom all the time including nighttime of course. I tried to close it, but regardless of which strength I applied to the lever handle, it kept dripping. Fortunately bathroom and bedroom had doors, and keeping them all shut helped a bit.

Bathtub and sink had other problems as well. Water was not draining or, to say it more correctly, was draining extremely and unacceptable slowly. Evidently sewer was clogged. The very first day I asked to fix sewerage next morning when I leave the room. To my great disappointment when I returned to the room the following evening nothing did not change, water still was still not draining.

I had to go down to the lobby and escalate this to manager on duty. While we were talking to the manager, a technician went to my room. Not sure what he did but water in the sink started draining a bit faster but still slower than it had to. I asked very reasonable question to the manager why the technician did not do his job in the morning when my room was empty and available for him. The manager offered to change my room to another. I refused to move to another room as I was in long business trip and was tired of hopping between hotels and packing and unpacking one more time was not an option.
So I stayed in the same room as I knew that I would be staying there only for a couple more nights and leave this hotel soon. Anyway, even after visit of the technical, draining of water in the bathtub did not improve a bit. He said to me that this is the way it is, probably the water was flowing too fast from faucet. Water was thundering with great force indeed and it could not be controlled with the tap. Even if you take shower, water in the bathtub will reach your ankles in less than a minute. Very annoying.

I think that I should mention a few words about Internet in the hotel. Both wired and wireless connections were possible, included into my rate and worked well. But Internet connection was available for only one device per room. This limitation looked very strange and even ridiculous for a hotel in a heart of Silicon Valley.

The last straw of frustration came when I was packing my things. I was inspecting the wardrobe for my clothes and to great surprise found somebody’s underwear lying of the floor behind ironing board; god only knows how long they had been there. I bet they are still there.

I know my story was long, so let me summarize and make it short:

Advantages:
• Breakfast
• Shaded parking

Disadvantages:
• Smell of stale coffee in Coffee maker.
• Twitching door
• Loud air conditioner
• Noise from outside
• Dripping faucet
• Blockage in bathtub and sink
• Internet connection is limited to only one device
• Stranger’s underwear in wardrobe.

At this moment I’m very curious how other people rated this hotel as one of the best.

Room Tip: For breakfast take a table near the bar or outside if weather permits
2 Thank _0Alexey0_
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great location from San Jose Airport. Not too close to hear the planes but not too far to be there in 10 min. Always greeted with a smile and after yrs of coming here they actually accommodate my wishes of being on the top floor. If you’ve read any of my other posts you’d know I like the windows open in my room – I’m not a big fan of AC’s unless it is truly needed so if you do open the windows (they only open-up about 4”) you will hear the freeway which runs parallel to the hotel.

The room was clean and comfortable but I have to say, the décor throughout the hotel is in dire need of an update.

It’s kinda nice to get breakfast and drink tickets to use each day of your stay. Breakfast is good and the drink tickets are for happy hour 5-7.

Of all the times I’ve stayed here I’ve only had one major issue – I was unable to cancel 24 hrs in advance, I was so sick and couldn’t lift my head up off my pillow to call and cancel. When I was better and called the PS they still charged me for one night. I understand, it is policy and despite my plea due to illness and my dedication to the hotel the management would not break policy. So let this be a warning if you book your stay regardless of how dedicated you are and remain…

Next year will be my last year coming to this hotel (yearly team deal) so I’m hoping the Plaza Suites will have some nice upgrades instead of the tired old look and that welcoming smile I’ve come to enjoy.

Room Tip: I like the top floor but I think they are all the same.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank rkbzdsa
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Th e Plaza Suites was a very nice suite hotel that was close to the Santa Clara Convention Center. The rooms were spacious and very clean. Refrigerators and microwaves are in the rooms which came in handy for breakfast. The food was ALWAYS cold. I made a plate and took it to my room to reheat. The made-to-order eggs were hard and tasteless. Better breakfasts are had at less expensive hotels so don't count on this unless cold sausages bacon, and dried out (and cold) potatoes are hat you eat for breakfast.

Happy hour is nice with 3 drink coupons, and one can order food from the bar or room service until 10:00pm. I always felt safe in the parking lot and in my room. Housekeeping does a good job keeping the rooms looking clean and refreshed. My room was located over the door for the kitchen, so I got an early morning wake up call with a truck idiling under my window while (I assume) food deliveries were made.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is the first time that I am staying here and it was a great experience. I used to stay at a few hotels nearby but i like this one best and will come back in future. The staff are amazing and very courteous. I used to have my dinner in bistro and the food tastes good .It would be great if they could expand their menu option though ( I stay for 2 weeks and I i've already had everything on the menu). But excellent place and i am sure I'll go back there often.