“Great hotel, great price”

The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 November 2008

We've stayed here before and it's always been excellent. It always feels clean which is the most important thing to me. The area is rather boring, but the hotel common rooms are pretty and the rooms are nicer than average. The fact that your stay includes a great breakfast bar and happy hour makes the price very good. Even without that, I'd stay here just for the cleanliness. Nice service too. And good wi-fi in the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2008

Reviewed 24 September 2008

Located directly on Hwy 101, ample parking, clean & comfortable mini-suites. TV's aren't up to today's standards, beds quite firm, included breakfast better than average for this type of hotel. Quiet. Nice little pool that is under utilized. Staff quite helpful. For a suite hotel in this price range it is everything that you could hope for.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 11 September 2008

Stayed at the Plaza Suites to visit the theme park nearby and I have to say that our hotel stay was perfect. The restaurant staff in particular were very good and very friendly. The room itself was exactly what I expected - spacious, comfortable (especially the bed) and well laid out. It was only a 15 minute walk to the theme park (all paved thankfully!) making it conviniently located. Along the route there were a number of restaurants, fast food places and garages. If I ever return to San Jose or Santa Clara I would stay here again. It was suitable not only for couples but families as well.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2008

I was looking for something special to do for my bf. We wanted to get away for a night. I booked the "RENDEZVOUS FOR TWO PACKAGE." You can check out more details on their site. Aside from the hotel being really nice and the staff being really helpful and friendly, the package was such a good deal. We stayed in the 2 room king suite. We were given 3 drinks each in the lounge and we were able to take it up to our room. Later on around 8, they sent up iced champagne, along with strawberries, cheese, and crackers (beautifully decorated). Complementary breakfast the next day was delicious. And we were able to check out at 3pm! All that for 119 bucks. The room alone in a half decent hotel would be about the same price.
So, if you want to spend quality time with your significant other and want to just lounge in the hotel the whole time, this is the place/package for you!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I stayed at the Plaza suites for one week on business, June 7 – June 13, 2008. The hotel is very close to the airport, downtown SJ and to highway 101. Complimentary shuttle will pick you up and drop you off at the airport, and I think they will give you a ride to local attractions (there might be a small fee) – just ask their friendly front desk personnel.

Rooms are clean and good size – furniture and TV / VCR in the living room is a little (or a lot) outdated but TV in the bedroom is adequate. There is an ironing board and an iron, coffee/tea daily supply, and the mini-bar with snacks, non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages (the prices aren’t bad).

Complimentary breakfast is quite good – eggs cooked to order, daily specials, pancakes, breads, fresh fruit, yogurts, juices, tea, coffee, pastries – actually, this is the best breakfast I have had in a long time in the hotel! The dining room never did get crowded when I was there.

Happy hour is from 5-7 PM. You get 3 tickets per each day of stay, for free drinks at the bar (free from 5-7, and $5.00 any other time). Wine, beer on the tap, etc. are free, there is a $1 - $2 surcharge for premium drinks – ask if you don’t want to be surprised.

Room service is working until 10 PM, and the hotel restaurant is closed on Sundays (for dinner), and is never open for lunch.

The outdoor swimming pool is small but it is heated – the water looks clear, I took a swim, and it was OK – just too small for me. There is also an outdoor Jacuzzi, a lot of sun beds, tables and chairs. Operating hours for pool and Jacuzzi are until 10 PM but I have heard people in there at 11:30 PM drinking and being very loud – apparently, hotel management doesn’t reinforce the rules.

Arthur’s restaurant is just down the street, by the Embassy Suites. It is a 3 min. walk – if you had too much to drink at the happy hour – walk and enjoy your dinner there (you don’t have to be drunk to enjoy it). They are under new management – Paula Hoffman (mgr) is very pleasant and is trying very hard to make it a pleasant place. Alfred Schilling is a chef, he is from Alsace, France, and it shows – the food is excellent! There is also live music in the evening. Good luck to you, Arthur’s!

Although, not a 5 star, the hotel is very good, the services and amenities and great, and I really enjoyed my stay. I will stay there again, and I will recommend it to my business partners and friends.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Smiles63
Reviewed 7 May 2008

I stayed at the Plaza Suites for a week when I was in Santa Clara on business. Overall, the hotel was clean and everything was in working order. The fitness center at the hotel, I found to be above average from what is usually offered. There were three treadmills, three eliptical machines, three stationary bikes and a Boflex type of weight machine. In addtion, there were free weights. That was a plus to me to have that variety for early morning workouts. The room was never crowded and I was always able to get a machine.

The shower pressure in my room was just short of a fire hydrant! It was really strong and made for real quick showers.

The breakfast was really good, as is mentioned by other guests. Cooked to order eggs/omelets, fresh fruit, pancakes, cereal, yogurts, etc.

The TV/Enterntainment center in the rooms is something out of the late 70's. VCR???? The TV itself appeared to be smaller than a 19 inche set. This coudl definiltey use an upgrade.

The complimentary drink tickets given at check for the nightly cocktail hour are strange. The drinks are supposed to be free, yet, the bartender charged me a dollar for each beer I ordered. Hmmm, how about just advertising that beer is a dollar between 5 & 7. That experience was a little tacky.

But, overall, the hotel was good for a business stay, I do not think I would vacation here.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2008

Was picked up from the airport by their freindly staff. She arrived very quickly after my call from the terminal.

Lobby looked lovely for the holiday season.

Desk staff upon check-in was friendly and gladly offered to drive me over to my afternoon meeting. I didn't even have to ask. Upon hearing that I had a meeting close by in an hour or so, when they asked "what brough me to Santa Clara", they immediately told me to come down when I was ready to go and they would drive me over.

Room was clean, nicely decorated, and bed was VERY nice and comfy. The sheets were good quality.

Received a ticket for a comp drink (or two) for their bar. Was not able to use, but it was a nice gesture.

Free newspaper at my door, in the morning.

Complimentary breakfast on the ground floor was better than most places. Good hot food choices....eggs, sausage, bacon, cooked to order, etc. Plus fresh fruit, in addition to all the regular fare. The cooks were smiling and friendly.

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and both times I have been very happy with the service and accomodations.

I will definitely stay at the Tha Plaza Suites the next time I am in the area.

Stayed: December 2007