“Most horrendous hotel”

The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Do yourself a favor and go with a name brand rather than this dump. This hotel is disgusting. The smell of whatever cleaning product they attempt to use gave me a headache for my entire visit. It is dingy and dusty and smelled like mold. They need a complete remodel before I'd step foot in there again. TheThe staff are discourteous, the coffee in the lobby is gross and they charge you MORE than the Town Place Suites down the road. The also charge you exorbitant rates for wifi which is free at just about every hotel. And to boot, I even got emailed a company SOP by accident....and I was just a guest!!

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
PlazaSuitesMgmt, General Manager at The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

It is evident our efforts to retain you as our guest while you were in-house were unsuccessful and I am terribly disappointed we were unable to do so.

It is true the facility was "stretched" significantly by the groups in-house (which I believe you were part of), and perhaps not in tip-top shape. I do have some difficulty reconciling your characterization of our hotel as a “dump” based on the observations of some of your fellow travelers.

Relative to service, our hotel consistently ranks within the top three spots in Santa Clara and I understand you were disappointed with our inability to extend the group rate to you following the booking cut-off date.

Incidentally we are currently remodeling our corridors, which I agree are not at par with the rest of our offerings.

Lastly, as we do with all guests feedback, we will be sure to analyze the events surrounding your stay and see where improvements can be made.

Jean-Philippe "JP" R Rollet | General Manager

There are newer reviews for The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed for business - hotels in area booked out with only this left.The hotel is clean and tidy. A lot of space - had a bed room and a separate adjoining living area. Good value for money.

However, the age of the building is apparent. The lifts creak, and the hallway has a carpet that has a damp-like smell to it. My advise, if looking for hotels in Santa Clara, start looking early and you have a better variety of choices.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I love this hotel. I think of it as little, but it has over two hundred rooms on seven floors. I've stayed here two months out of three for nine months now. Many of the front desk personnel recognize me and sometimes greet me by name before I even check in. Marilyn Williams, in the bar where I dine nearly every night I am there, greets me by name, recommends dishes for me to try, makes me feel welcome, and always has a bottle of champagne, my drink of choice, chilled for me. She's the main reason I continue to stay here rather than rack up points with some chain that I could use to get free nights in a less interesting hotel. The food in the bistro is quite good, and there is more variety in the menu that at some hotels twice as large. Add to that a cooked-to-order breakfast and coupons for three -- yes, three -- free drinks between 5 and 7 each night, and what more could I want? The rooms? Well-appointed two-room suites with luxurious bedding, an ample desk and plenty of counter space, and -- most of the time -- towering redwoods screening my window from view from the street. I really do feel it is my home away from home.

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Debbie2622
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My second visit to the place, I was here last year and this time I was on the first floor and I don't feel it was immacutely clean. It's spacious, with a king size bed and a sofa bed. The toilet is rather old, and needs repainting. I only had one breakfast and not happy with the omelet I ordered. The egg was somewhat overcooked, hard and not what I expect from a nice hotel. The guys cleaning the restaurant is always attentive, cleans the table almost every minute. The upside is free wifi, parking, breakfast. At the price range other hotels can offer better accomodation and service. Next time I will skip this place.

Room Tip: Rooms at high floors and away from the elevator are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We choose to stay here again because we enjoyed our last stay so much! So I booked this hotel for both my family and my parents. The parking is free and breakfast was free. But the wi-fi was not free on this trip (it was complimentary on our previous trip in Sept). Also, the complimentary toiletries were awful. Soap was gross leaving your skin dry as did the shampoo (dry hair). I knew I should have packed my own toiletries!!! Overall, decent hotel and the staff was super friendly. Not sure if I'll stay for the 3rd time, if we're in the Bay Area again. They would need to upgrade to free wi-fi, and change their toiletry vendor.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Sugarcane77
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Plaza Suites is a great place to find single and double suites in the Santa Clara area. It's easy on-off the 101 freeway. The suites have two televisions; one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room. They serve a full breakfast (included in stay) in the morning with plenty of coffee, juices, eggs, etc. On weekdays, we found out that you could order omelettes using a form in the breakfast area; unfortunately, this is not available on the weekends. When you check in, each person gets a coupon for a free drink (well drinks, etc) for each day of the stay that is good from 5- 7 PM.
The parking may be difficult on some occasions; we had trouble finding a spot on a Saturday night and did not want to park on the street and walk a long way,
The pool and spa are a great addition.
The price is actually comparable or less than other area hotels including places we've stayed previously in the area.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the pool side or higher up; they seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Plaza suites is one to call first if I needed to getaway for the weekend. I came back to this hotel because of the cozy, comfortable and make you feel at home experience. The hot breakfast buffet is no comparison to other hotels I experienced for the value I paid for. Beds are so comfortable and rooms are super clean. The staff has always been helpful, professional, super nice and always with a smile which give me reasons why I come back here.
Overall, my experience at the suite was worth it, and will definitely come back for more future visits.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends