The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley
Best Western Santa Clara University Inn(Santa Clara)(Great Value!)
US$176
Hotels.com
Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel(Santa Clara)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$163
Best Western Inn Santa Clara(Santa Clara)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$164
Hotels.com
Hilton Santa Clara(Santa Clara)(Great Value!)
US$170
US$145
US$309
US$301
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites(Santa Clara)(Great Value!)
US$158
Hyatt Regency Santa Clara(Santa Clara)(Great Value!)
US$183
  • Pool
Santa Clara Marriott(Santa Clara)(Great Value!)
US$320
US$312
  • Restaurant
US$131
US$120
Official Hotel
HYATT House Santa Clara(Santa Clara)(Great Value!)
US$436
US$426
All reviewsfree drinksdrink ticketssilicon valleyhappy hourseparate bedroomliving areamade to order omeletspotatoesbreakfast buffetfront desk staffnice poolnice breakfastbusiness tripbusiness centersan franciscoyogurtsanta clara convention center
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel probably 10 times in the last 4 years. Typically from Sunday to Friday, sometimes Sunday-Friday the next week. So lots of days. The suite model is really nice. The separate bedroom helps shield you from hallway noise. Bed is comfortable. Living room is nice, wireless and wired internet works great. Bathroom (tub/toilet) is separate from wash basin so that is nice for families. Breakfast buffet is great although I don't eat most of what gets served. I imagine for most it will be a party to eat there with eggs to order, waffles, pancakes, meat, potatoes, fruit, pastries. I generally stick with rice and miso soup. The made to order omelets are a bit less desirable because they are made in advance and then filled with whatever and then heated. Still, excellent breakfast buffet.

The TV on the other hand is laughably bad. Two nice HD flatscreens but nothing on them. There are a handful of SD (low def) TV channels and a 1980's era hotel movie net. The TV's are of course set for 16:9 aspect ratio which makes everyone look bloated when you watch SD. So every time you turn on the TV you have to change the aspect ratio. If you then watch a movie channel that is letter boxing an HD movie (black bars top and bottom) you are watching a tiny grainy picture on a large TV. Sad really. To make matters worse you can't even plug in your own DVD player in the living room. Lots of hotels have an HDMI connector exposed or even wired to a dedicated spot in the TV furniture. What a waste of perfectly good TVs that you don't even get air-HD channels. The small TV in the bedroom can be attached to your laptop but the resolution is poor so DVD's don't look very good.

Noise levels are decent but it depends on where you stay in the hotel. It is right next to 101. In some cases I have to sleep with the A/C on just to block out the noise. It seems this hotel has better noise blocking than Embassy Suites down the street though. Best rooms face the Atrium/pool area but they're probably more expensive.

Finally then my last gripe. Since mine are business trips I book through my office. Turns out Plaza negotiated rates that do not include loyalty points. What? I get tickets for booze in the bar (I never use those) but no points? Even when I pick the higher cost rooms on the 'executive floor'? I can't overlook that any longer. There will be cases in the future where I -have- to stay at PZ because it's all that is available but it is no longer the first hotel on my list.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside of the U shaped hotel. They may call it Atrium View or something like that. These rooms probably carry a premium.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were here for a water polo tournament with our club team. I understand how other guests would be put off the facility with all the teenagers and their parents in residence. Three drink vouchers per night is great, but the lounge area is very small to accommodate all guests in the limited hours of complimentary drink service when the facility is at high occupancy. I had a king suite on the 7th floor, and while private, the sleeper sofa was uncomfortable for my 13 year old daughter (I tried it, and actually felt bad for her). The king bed was incredibly comfortable with soft linens and fluffy pillows, so my husband and I were comfortable. Rooms have a mini refrigerator and microwave, plus two televisions, but wi-fi is not included (or was not included in our group rate). I cannot imagine trying to sleep a family of four in this suite. It's just too small. This facility is better suited to business travelers, I think, than families, due to the limited space in the rooms. The hotel staff at reception was helpful and friendly; the bartenders and breakfast hostess were not as amicable, though food and drink quality was excellent. The high foot traffic was really evident in the main halls, as carpets were visibly soiled by the end of my 4 day stay. Rooms were clean though, and linens were freshened when needed (or indicated per the signs in the bathroom). We had room service, and the food was very good with generous portions (cheesburger, fries, Ceasar Salad and a scallop entree). I have to say that I had a good overall experience, and that the value of this facility was good.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Angela M
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is my second stay at this hotel. I'm quite a snob about where I stay, so if I return that really says something. I hate hotel beds and can't ever sleep in them. They are all so hard and uncomfortable...irregardless of how expensive the hotel is. I can sleep here. Comfy beds and linens. Friendly staff. Good food for both breakfast and dinner. Drink vouchers for happy hour. Yes, the hotel could use a bit of a face lift if you are comparing it to the newly built hotels down the road. Those hotels also cost more so pick your poison. I come here on business but would stay here for pleasure as well. My only complaint would be the size of the bathroom. It's the smallest I have ever seen quite honestly. Other than that, I have no complaints. Would recommend and will return again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeni L
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have mixed opinions about this place. Stayed for business and it served its purpose, but I wouldn't stay for pleasure.

The pros: Very friendly staff (reception, bar staff not so much!), three free drink vouchers a night was a nice touch, the beds were so comfy with really soft linen and the rooms were generally nice, good melon salad at breakfast. The shuttle service they provide to the convention centre is reliable and quick but if you are at a conference in the convention centre I would stay in the Hilton or the Hyatt which are right by it and nicer hotels (from what I could tell)

The cons: generally felt quite dated, especially the corridors and pool area. I spent the day before my conference by the pool and had visions of drinking iced teas and eating something tasty for lunch (the food served in the hotel looks really good) - but there was no service, the kitchen was apparently closed for a deep clean so that was disappointing. I asked for an hour later check out and was told it would cost half a day rate - seemed rather inflexible.

When we were visiting, there was a water polo tournament on in the local area so that hotel was full of teenagers and their parents: generally no problem with this but they could have maybe been given a seperate breakfast room or a specific breakfast time as it was too busy and noisey in there and felt like a youth club with teenagers lolling about the lobby the whole time.

It was generally fine, but lacked the sparkle that a lot of American hotels provide.

Room Tip: Ask for one looking over the pool (looking in) - else your view will be a freeway or car park!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Do yourself a favor and go with a name brand rather than this dump. This hotel is disgusting. The smell of whatever cleaning product they attempt to use gave me a headache for my entire visit. It is dingy and dusty and smelled like mold. They need a complete remodel before I'd step foot in there again. TheThe staff are discourteous, the coffee in the lobby is gross and they charge you MORE than the Town Place Suites down the road. The also charge you exorbitant rates for wifi which is free at just about every hotel. And to boot, I even got emailed a company SOP by accident....and I was just a guest!!

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
PlazaSuitesMgmt, General Manager at The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

It is evident our efforts to retain you as our guest while you were in-house were unsuccessful and I am terribly disappointed we were unable to do so.

It is true the facility was "stretched" significantly by the groups in-house (which I believe you were part of), and perhaps not in tip-top shape. I do have some difficulty reconciling your characterization of our hotel as a “dump” based on the observations of some of your fellow travelers.

Relative to service, our hotel consistently ranks within the top three spots in Santa Clara and I understand you were disappointed with our inability to extend the group rate to you following the booking cut-off date.

Incidentally we are currently remodeling our corridors, which I agree are not at par with the rest of our offerings.

Lastly, as we do with all guests feedback, we will be sure to analyze the events surrounding your stay and see where improvements can be made.

Jean-Philippe "JP" R Rollet | General Manager