“A few complaints...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Angels Camp, California
“A few complaints...”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

First of all, these complaints wouldn't be finding their way online had the front desk simply asked us how our stay was during check-out.

The overall impression I got was that tons of money was spent up front on this place, but now they are cutting corners and not maintaining the property. I suspect that if this trend continues, the reviews will start going downhill as well.

The room appeared clean at first sight with shiny tables and bathroom, but then we opened up the sofa bed. It was obvious that this wasn't even checked since the last person had used it. There were crumbs all over the sheets and some hair. Mistakes happen though and we were too tired to make a complaint. This did not excuse the fact, however, that the sofa bed was horribly uncomfortable (and I mean compared to other sofa beds). The king bed was fine, but I hated the pillows; they were probably comfortable when new, but now your head sinks all the way through to the mattress and it doesn't bounce back like it should. I ended up sleeping on one of the decorative pillows instead.

The suite we got had two hd flat panel televisions, but I didn't really see the point considering the incoming signal was broadcast in standard definition. The larger of the two, I'm going to guess about 42", was in the sofa bed room and the smaller (maybe 32") was in the king bed room. Don't be fooled, it's just a gimmick, like "HD sunglasses".

There was no fan or heater in the bathroom. The only way for us to circulate the air was to turn on the air conditioning, which didn't work until I brought it to the hotel's attention. I'm not sure how long it took them to fix it, as we were out for at least 4 hours, but it was fixed when we returned, so that was nice. Once the A/C was working, it worked great (central air, not a wall unit).

One last thing about the room, there could have been a better restaurant/vacationing guide in the room. They had a few brochures, but it was very general proximity, including such things as Hearst Castle (which is all the way down in San Simeon!) and Monterey. We ended up using google maps on my phone to find restaurants and the movie theater.

Staff was nice, although they didn't seem to care how our stay was going, but there is probably no incentive for them to do so (a problem with most large hotels). A courtesy call a few minutes after check-in or a simple question regarding my satisfaction upon check-out would have sufficed and my review would have been less picky.

Breakfast. Well, I'll preface this by saying we got there right near the end (about 9:45am and they stop serving at 10), but we were not impressed. The selection was awesome: buffet style scrambled eggs, potatoes, pancakes, sausage links, bacon, cereal, three juices, toast, coffee, etc. Unfortunately, the eggs were disgusting (probably from powder or the bottle) and so were the sausages. The potatoes tasted fine and suprisingly, so did the bacon. Even though we got there late, all the items were hot and there was still an abundance of food, so I don't think our timing had much to do with the low quality taste. Fortunately, there are enough items available that you can just avoid the nasty stuff, but I thought this was still worth mentioning.

The location was good, within one mile of a lot of restaurants and a movie theater and I had no complaints with the parking; it's free, which is unusual for these types of properties.

There are several other choices in the San Jose area that offer roughly the same amenities and only range within a few extra (or less) dollars. I wouldn't say "don't stay here", but I'm certainly not going to recommend it to people. Perhaps in comparison to nearby hotels it is the best, I wouldn't know, but I do know that it fell short of my expectations and the impression that I had after reading this site's reviews. I hope my experience was an isolated incident.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank agh14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Redding, California
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We loved this hotel. Rooms were very clean and the king bed was very comfortable. Nice setup for the king suite. The location was perfect for the Twin Creeks ball park and Great America. Hot breakfast was very good each morning. Would definitely recommend this hotel to others and we would stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
The Woodlands, TX
Reviewed 3 July 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights and commuted to Stanford University for a tour, Monterey for the day and to Santa Cruz. We chose this hotel because the reviews were great on trip advisor. I also wanted to be close to Stanford without paying too much. We could not get a room close to Monterey and Santa Cruz because of the US Open. Prices were outrageous even if you could find a room. This hotel worked out great. It was roomy and clean and breakfast was nice since there was a chef there onsite to cook your eggs fresh. Free covered parking was great too. The only thing I did not like about the hotel was the lack of lighting in the halls and in my room. Too dark for my taste. It made the hallways seem old and outdated. Otherwise I would highly recommend it for the location and the price and the breakfast!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Suite style rooms nicely decorated. Only things I would change would be the parking (it is free but never front door parking, the front desk service could be a little better and I wish the internet was free.
The hotel otherwise is great. Very clean and right off the freeway. Room has fridge and (small bathroom) but very upscale type rooms! Lots of space! Great deal!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Browns Valley, California
Reviewed 14 June 2010

The reviews posted on the internet about the Plaza Suites are what made us stay there. We were not disappointed, rooms were very nice, staff was very friendly. Even though the hotel was full, you did not feel like you were being run over by lots of people. The free breakfast was filling and good. Ate dinner in the resturant, receiver wonderful service and food was excellent. Very quiet.. will stay here again. Close to Great America

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Templeton, California
Reviewed 6 June 2010

I can't say enough about how wonderful it is. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful and the rooms are stunning. The rooms remind me of the W Hotel where I stay in San Francisco.
The bed and linens are fabulous.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Room had a large living room with TV, dressing area with double sink, bedroom with king size bed, another TV, microwave, coffeemaker and minibar in living room. Very clean, well-maintained, very quiet. Complimentary breakfast had many choices, cocktail hour in the bar was very relaxing and enjoyable. We had a group of 10 people and it was great to have a place that we could all socialize together. An incredible value for the price we paid.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family